Need help upgrading my CPU cooler and adding Case Fans.

F.E.A.R.

I want to upgrade (change) CPU cooler (some lame Intel cooler) that originally came with my (pre-built) PC. I was checking the list here and found some of the Coolers which are available in my country (the ones I can afford buying):

• Deepcool Lucifer K2
  • Deepcool Neptwin V2
  • Deepcool Gammaxx 400
  • Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P with RGB controller
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (it says that the Cooler is out stock, but their site might not be updated, I'll just have to ask personally)

Will any of these coolers cause a problem with my i5-6400 because it's a 65W TDP? Because I read that the Deepcool Lucifer K2 needs an Intel socket of 130W and this is what sparked my interest if it would cause a problem. If it won't cause a problem should I go for the MasterAir MA620P, Lucifer K2 or Hyper 212?

As for the case fans there are Corssair, Deepcool  and Sharkoon fans, however it too says that they're out of stock (the Corssair ones), it might not be true, so I'll ask personally about this too.

There are:

• Deepcool XFAN 120L/B 1300rpm Silent Transparent w/Blue LED (120x120x25)
  • Deepcool Gamer Storm GS 120 1800rpm Slim (120x120x20)
  • Deepcool UF 120 1500rpm Ultra Silent De-Vibration (120x120x26)
  • Deepcool RF 120 1500rpm Super Silent (120x120x25)
  • Sharkoon Pacelight RGB F1 1400rpm Low Noise RGB LED (120x120x26)

Which would you recommend? I can put up to 4 Case Fans in my case.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

11 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

I want to upgrade (change) CPU cooler (some lame Intel cooler) that originally came with my (pre-built) PC. I was checking the list here and found some of the Coolers which are available in my country (the ones I can afford buying):

• Deepcool Lucifer K2
  • Deepcool Neptwin V2
  • Deepcool Gammaxx 400
  • Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P with RGB controller
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (it says that the Cooler is out stock, but their site might not be updated, I'll just have to ask personally)

Will any of these coolers cause a problem with my i5-6400 because it's a 65W TDP? Because I read that the Deepcool Lucifer K2 needs an Intel socket of 130W and this is what sparked my interest if it would cause a problem. If it won't cause a problem should I go for the MasterAir MA620P, Lucifer K2 or Hyper 212?

As for the case fans there are Corssair, Deepcool  and Sharkoon fans, however it too says that they're out of stock (the Corssair ones), it might not be true, so I'll ask personally about this too.

There are:

• Deepcool XFAN 120L/B 1300rpm Silent Transparent w/Blue LED (120x120x25)
  • Deepcool Gamer Storm GS 120 1800rpm Slim (120x120x20)
  • Deepcool UF 120 1500rpm Ultra Silent De-Vibration (120x120x26)
  • Deepcool RF 120 1500rpm Super Silent (120x120x25)
  • Sharkoon Pacelight RGB F1 1400rpm Low Noise RGB LED (120x120x26)

Which would you recommend? I can put up to 4 Case Fans in my case.

The watt rating is the total amount of "TDP" that the cooler can dissipate. So the 130 means it can dissipate up to 130 Watts of power effectively. That doesn't mean it consumes that much power. As long as the cooler has mounting hardware for the socket they should work without an issue, just check RAM clearance.

To select case fan, do you have any filtered intakes or obstructions like a HDD cage? This is important when choosing fans because Airflow versus Pressure fans make a difference here.

35 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

The watt rating is the total amount of "TDP" that the cooler can dissipate. So the 130 means it can dissipate up to 130 Watts of power effectively. That doesn't mean it consumes that much power. As long as the cooler has mounting hardware for the socket they should work without an issue, just check RAM clearance.

To select case fan, do you have any filtered intakes or obstructions like a HDD cage? This is important when choosing fans because Airflow versus Pressure fans make a difference here.

I have a HDD cage, here's my case Cooler Master K350 (RC-K350-KWN2-EN)

By RAM clearance you mean the space between the RAM and CPU? Here's the motherboard that I'm using  GA-H170-HD3 DDR3 . Except mine is with 2 RAM slots very close to the CPU.

IMG_20190625_184302.jpg

IMG_20190625_184559.jpg

IMG_20190625_185012.jpg

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

2 hours ago, F.E.A.R. said:

I have a HDD cage, here's my case Cooler Master K350 (RC-K350-KWN2-EN)

By RAM clearance you mean the space between the RAM and CPU? Here's the motherboard that I'm using  GA-H170-HD3 DDR3 . Except mine is with 2 RAM slots very close to the CPU.

There's plenty of ram that have elaborate heatsinks that can get in the way of coolers. You seem to be using standard profile ram without heatsinks which coolers are generally designed to clear. 

Why not stick with the stock cooler? What are your temps?

Adding a rear case fan for exhaust could help. 

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

59 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There's plenty of ram that have elaborate heatsinks that can get in the way of coolers. You seem to be using standard profile ram without heatsinks which coolers are generally designed to clear. 

Why not stick with the stock cooler? What are your temps?

Adding a rear case fan for exhaust could help. 

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

Well it came with the PC but I want to upgrade that too. The problem is the motherboard is "generic". I'm disappointed at the RAM type memory though.

I think I've used it "completely" ?. Because it's summer here, room temp is also high, which makes the CPU even more hotter. The cooler is spinning like crazy even when I'm replaying a game from 2001/2 (RA2/YR). The CPU idle is around 35-40° when I'm not doing anything, and when I play a game it gets above 40° around 53-58°. This didn't happen before. 

As for the location, I don't wanna talk it about. I can only say that I'm from the Balkans. For now my budget is 50€ (all that I've saved) for now, and gonna start work next month. July and August if I can get around 500-550€. In the mean time I study during the year. 

I the end I didn't buy this PC, it was a gift and I know that pre-built PC's are terrible.

10 hours ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Well it came with the PC but I want to upgrade that too. The problem is the motherboard is "generic". I'm disappointed at the RAM type memory though.

I think I've used it "completely" ?. Because it's summer here, room temp is also high, which makes the CPU even more hotter. The cooler is spinning like crazy even when I'm replaying a game from 2001/2 (RA2/YR). The CPU idle is around 35-40° when I'm not doing anything, and when I play a game it gets above 40° around 53-58°. This didn't happen before. 

As for the location, I don't wanna talk it about. I can only say that I'm from the Balkans. For now my budget is 50€ (all that I've saved) for now, and gonna start work next month. July and August if I can get around 500-550€. In the mean time I study during the year. 

I the end I didn't buy this PC, it was a gift and I know that pre-built PC's are terrible.

Your temperatures are fairly low. 

If you want to replace the cooler do it for silence. 

Any of the coolers you mentioned will perform nicely. I have the deepcool neptwin in white. It’s very quiet and affordable. 

If if you want some rgb. Get the 212 rgb. 

For case fans fans I would just say make sure you have at least 2 intake and 1 exhaust. 

1 hour ago, StarsMars said:

Your temperatures are fairly low. 

If you want to replace the cooler do it for silence. 

Any of the coolers you mentioned will perform nicely. I have the deepcool neptwin in white. It’s very quiet and affordable. 

If if you want some rgb. Get the 212 rgb. 

For case fans fans I would just say make sure you have at least 2 intake and 1 exhaust. 

Well my stock cooler wasn't worth it from the beginning and I want to replace it for silence like you said and better cooling.

I'll go with the 212 RGB. 

2 intake and 1 exhaust, alright I'll just make sure to buy the right case fans. 

On 6/25/2019 at 2:11 PM, F.E.A.R. said:

The motherboard is from Gigabyte and doesn't seem generic to me -- just low-end. As long as it has the features you want in a motherboard, that should be enough, no?

Idle temps don't matter too much but yours look fine. 53-58c is very low for load temps. Just lower your fans speeds. You're fine up to 80-90c at load.

A single stick of ram does mean you're missing out on dual channel but it does leave an open slot for another stick and dual channel later on. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The motherboard is from Gigabyte and doesn't seem generic to me -- just low-end. As long as it has the features you want in a motherboard, that should be enough, no?

Idle temps don't matter too much but yours look fine. 53-58c is very low for load temps. Just lower your fans speeds. You're fine up to 80-90c at load.

A single stick of ram does mean you're missing out on dual channel but it does leave an open slot for another stick and dual channel later on. 

I think the features are good, the only thing that I don't like the motherboard is that it comes with 2 ram slots with DDR3/DDR3L memory.

But that's the problem. 53-58° goes up when I play a game from 2001/2, which didn't happen before. It would've went from 32-35°. I do doubt this is because of room temp, this happened previously with my laptop and my old PC that I used from 2006-2012. I was curious if my thermal paste dried up because of the high temps. I applied about a month ago. I removed the cooler and the paste isn't dried up. I use the Arctic MX-4 2019 edition. I got used to the fans spinning, it's annoying, but it's still not loud like a fan or something. I was thinking about buying RAM, but I don't think RAM is my top priority for now, I know it's not good with 1 stick of RAM, but I'll be going with cooling as of start.

8 hours ago, F.E.A.R. said:

But that's the problem. 53-58° goes up when I play a game from 2001/2, which didn't happen before. It would've went from 32-35°. I do doubt this is because of room temp, this happened previously with my laptop and my old PC that I used from 2006-2012. I got used to the fans spinning, it's annoying

Just lower your fan speeds. 

If you're referring to idle temps being higher, make sure your system is actually idling. Are you sure you don't have more apps running the background than you did before? That would mean the system isn't actually idling and the higher load raises temps. 

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Just lower your fan speeds. 

If you're referring to idle temps being higher, make sure your system is actually idling. Are you sure you don't have more apps running the background than you did before? That would mean the system isn't actually idling and the higher load raises temps. 

The only thing running in my background is my antivirus, ccleaner, nvidia geforce experience, realtek hd audio manager and adobe acrobat reader (which I don't know how to disable). I also checked the processes, so no there's no +apps running in my background. Since temps are above 35° outside, the room where I sit is also very, hot above 30°.

2 hours ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Since temps are above 35° outside, the room where I sit is also very, hot above 30°.

Such high ambient temps easily explain your higher idle temps. You'd need an extremely beefy cooler to keep temps at 35c when ambient is already above 30c. The temps you experienced before are likely due to the lower ambient temps in the past.

You can see an example here where a beefier cooler like the Tranquillo Rev. 2 keeps idle temps ~10c higher than ambient. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-Ambient-Temperatures-Affect-Your-PC-158/