X470 board prep in case x570 too expensive ( bios help)

once ryzen 3000 and x570 become available in july I will be builind my first pc in quite a while that being said if 570 does expensive as it an expensive as it's rumored to me and I cannot afford to get a board that meets the specs that I'm looking for, or one to fit my design scheme I've already decided on an x470 board the gigabyte wifi 7 as a back up. That being said I know there is a bios update with the x470 board that makes it compatable with ryzen 3000 but I'm concerned about the line in the bio used for compatability that claims I will need to install "EC FW UPDATE TOOL" befor I can upgrade to the final latest bio revision. I know I can use Qflash for the bios but I have No idea about this ec fw tool thing any ideas guys? Keep in mind I don't have acsess a ryzen 2000 cpu and after talking to amd about there cpu loan program they said they dont intend to update program to hand out 2000 series cpus to update a bios cause "x470 boards should already be compatable" but if there compatible why the bios revision for the boards.https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-11#support-dl

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
    Corsair pro rgb 16gb 3400 oc stock timings
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
    My digital ssd 250gb pro m.2 (boot) 2tb berracuda 7200rpm +Toshiba x300 4gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

AMD offers a free boot kit for motherboards if you provide proof of purchase, handle it via their website.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

They'll likely extend it for 3000 series

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The power draw of the 3000 series is supposed to be really big, and ASUS is the only company guaranteeing compatibility due to power draw. I would not expect 100% stability on any motherboard for 3rd gen. That's just something to keep in mind, but to at  least try to partially answer your question:

The new bios revision should add a feature or two that most people won't use. It'll probably contain a few performance optimizations and low-level bug fixes. If they say x470 boards work, you should be able to do your build as normal then update your bios. My motherboard is ASUS, so I know they have an EZ flash utility which really streamlines the process. I'm in the same boat as you being unclear if X470 is forwards compatible. If it is, you build like normal and when updating drivers (just like normal) update the bios.

I hope that AMD will issue a more clear statement regarding that.

In fact, Ryzen 3000 draw less current then it's 2000 series predecessors meaning the 12 cores CPU will draw as much current as the 2700X. The Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming 7 will have more power phases that you really need for any air cooled or water cooled overclock, but probably not a 3950X on LN2. EC FW UPDATE TOOL seem to be an update for DRAM compatibility before updating BIOS to F40 which allow you to use Ryzen 3000 CPUs, so i guess you will have to use a 2000 processor anyways.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

59 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

In fact, Ryzen 3000 draw less current then it's 2000 series predecessors meaning the 12 cores CPU will draw as much current as the 2700X. The Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming 7 will have more power phases that you really need for any air cooled or water cooled overclock, but probably not a 3950X on LN2. EC FW UPDATE TOOL seem to be an update for DRAM compatibility before updating BIOS to F40 which allow you to use Ryzen 3000 CPUs, so i guess you will have to use a 2000 processor anyways.

Actually i think Buildzoid said the 3950x could be run on a x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming 7 Board because the VRM is good and even with overclocking. Could definitely recommend you to go watch his reviews on the X570 boards that they have an insane VRM but the X470 Gaming 7 should be able to handle the 3950x without problems or atleast the 3900x. 

PC Specs

Ryzen 7 - 2700x - 4.2 Ghz 

MSI MPG X570s Carbon Max Wifi 

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm ARGB Sync TT Premium

G.Skillz Trident Z 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Xtreme

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Corsair RM750x - 750W Gold

As Buildzoid stated, X570 VRM are WAY overkill for any normal use.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

1 hour ago, aPCuser said:

The power draw of the 3000 series is supposed to be really big, and ASUS is the only company guaranteeing compatibility due to power draw.

Only on the 16-core and to a lesser extent the 12-core. With the 6- and 8-core parts power draw is actually down compared to Zen+. I trust OP isn’t looking at the top end CPUs as saving money on a motherboard while buying a $500 processor seems unlikely. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

4 minutes ago, melete said:

Only on the 16-core and to a lesser extent the 12-core. With the 6- and 8-core parts power draw is actually down compared to Zen+. I trust OP isn’t looking at the top end CPUs as saving money on a motherboard while buying a $500 processor seems unlikely. 

Actually i could see it as ideal. Go for Highend X470 board to have the good VRM  save 500$ on the board spend it on the CPU instead. 

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Just now, Koxicain said:

Actually i could see it as ideal. Go for Highend X470 board to have the good VRM  save 500$ on the board spend it on the CPU instead. 

Depends on your local prices I guess. At the current prices around here you aren’t saving any money with a Crosshair VII or Aorus Gaming VII ($250-270) relative to what a mid tier X570 board will likely cost. The X570s might even have superior build quality from what we’ve heard. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

My ideal set up was r3700x and ether gigabyte aorus pro wifi do to this link based off the price point mention during both this artical and gamers nexus coverage mentioning msrp price for gigabyte only https://www.anandtech.com/show/14490/gigabyte-unveils-its-x570-aorus-pro-with-or-without-wi-fi-6 but that was posted shortly after computex. Other considerations are the msi pro carbon wifi, asus strix-E, and potentaly steel legend from asrock but with asrock generous x570 stack compards to the rest its hard to place part prices. So idealy I was looking to spend a max of 350 on both cpu and 300 on mobo due to x570 motherboard price increase I saw 300 as being a good number for upper mid tier board but with all these rumors iv been hearing it's seaming like getting a reasly solid x470 might be best but if I have to go through so much trouble day one I just want to know what steps I moght need to take. Even considering buying like a 2200g off ebay used with cooler for like 60$ and then just resell it or keep it to use in a Nas set up later in

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
    My digital ssd 250gb pro m.2 (boot) 2tb berracuda 7200rpm +Toshiba x300 4gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

I wanted high vrm quality and then 1 or 2 years down the line snatch up the 12 core or even 16 for far less the price and sell the 8core

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

The X570 chipset is irevelant IMO if you don't plan to use a very fast Storage device, if you want to buy the next gen PCIe 4.0 GPUs or want the overkill VRMs. Actual Storage devices dont need more than PCIE gen 3 lanes, so there is no NEED for PCIE gen 4 right now. The Asus x470 ROG Strix-F Gaming is well enough for the next gen Ryzen, the Asrock Taichi, Asus Crosshair VII and the Aorus Gaming 7 will handle the 16 cores for anything except LN2 extreme overclock. Look at price and features of X470 and X570 boards when they come out and see what you really need.

22 minutes ago, melete said:

Depends on your local prices I guess. At the current prices around here you aren’t saving any money with a Crosshair VII or Aorus Gaming VII ($250-270) relative to what a mid tier X570 board will likely cost. The X570s might even have superior build quality from what we’ve heard. 

Yeah that is true. Here i can get X470 Gaming 7 for 220 Euros. Pairing that with 3800x or 3900x doesnt seem too expensive to me. 

6 minutes ago, Gilgam3s1 said:

I wanted high vrm quality and then 1 or 2 years down the line snatch up the 12 core or even 16 for far less the price and sell the 8core

Then definately go for the Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI. Its a 10+2 phase not as expensive as Hero board but atleast just as good. 
It will suit you well.

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

To get back on topic its not about knowing what I need, iv got that much figured out I'm more or less looking for trouble shoot concerns...if I buy the x470 board there is no garrentee on if it will work with that 3000 cpu out of box, meaning id have to figure out some way to uodate the bios to a compatible update version. With that being the case what do you think would be the best course of action

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

I'm also looking to upgrade my aging intel system with a ryzen 3600 however it is already certain that a x570 is out of my budget and with the only real pro being PCI-e gen 4 it makes no sense anyway. In the end I've gone and got a MSI gaming pro carbon for only £100 (rrp £160) and should I need to update the bios I can pick up a athlon a6 9600 for just £30 then just sell it on ebay once I'm done.

44 minutes ago, Gilgam3s1 said:

To get back on topic its not about knowing what I need, iv got that much figured out I'm more or less looking for trouble shoot concerns...if I buy the x470 board there is no garrentee on if it will work with that 3000 cpu out of box, meaning id have to figure out some way to uodate the bios to a compatible update version. With that being the case what do you think would be the best course of action

Download bios update put it on a usb and update it ?
As far as i know it shouldnt be much more different than a regular bios update on X470 motherboards.

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

12 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

Download bios update put it on a usb and update it ?
As far as i know it shouldnt be much more different than a regular bios update on X470 motherboards.

But what about that EC FW update tool supposedly required for final update? Iv heard some people being able to skip it and get the F40 but after using the update tool it reverts the bios to an erlier update. I suppose in theory I could try and see if I can get that bios update to pass through. Save the final update to my flash Then run ECFW update tool then reflash bios. If all the ecfw tool does is enable more compatable ram and oddly my ram from corsair claims to be compatible.

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

1 minute ago, Gilgam3s1 said:

But what about that EC FW update tool supposedly required for final update? Iv heard some people being able to skip it and get the F40 but after using the update tool it reverts the bios to an erlier update. I suppose in theory I could try and see if I can get that bios update to pass through. Save the final update to my flash Then run ECFW update tool then reflash bios. If all the ecfw tool does is enable more compatable ram and oddly my ram from corsair claims to be compatible.

I think you should just wait till reviews comes out. They will definately know :)

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB