Gigabyte has no intention in honouring their warranty

Morgoth97

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience with Gigabyte support. My intention isn’t to claim that Gigabyte won’t offer any sort of support or that you shouldn’t purchase a Gigabyte product; I just want to convey MY experience.

So I bought the Gigabyte Gaming 9 X299 motherboard on Newegg for  $500. Surely they’ll have stricter quality control with their flagship products? Not in my case, my motherboard refused to save BIOS settings and kept clearing CMOS between system start ups. This was made more infuriating when my monitor doesn’t display the BIOS screen half of the time so I had to restart a couple of times. Needless to say I gave up overclocking.

After contacting Gigabyte support in 2017, I provided with suggestions and as you might expect none of those suggestions worked. I was then told that I had to send my motherboard to Newegg which I was reluctant to do so as I lived on the other side of the planet; I wouldn’t enjoy a month long downtime and disassembling my water cooling loop didn’t need sound fun.

Now it’s 2019 and I’m planning on traveling this summer which was a perfect opportunity to send my motherboard  for support, after all Gigabyte does promise a 3 year labor warranty. 

I contacted Newegg who claim I need to contact Gigabyte of whom claim Newegg is the correct party to contact. I’ve been back and forth 3 times so far and neither party is willing to take in my motherboard for repair. Newegg says they’ll “get Gigabyte to honor their warranty  on my behalf.”

Now I’m waiting for Newegg to get back to me. 

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

This is why I don't buy PC parts internationally.  Apart form having awesome cosumer protections in Australia, the premium I pay here keeps at least one more job here and gives me a solid place to return to.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

This is why I don't buy PC parts internationally.

I agree. Over here, I just fill an RMA-form and send the parts back to the company I bought them from -- it takes only one day as well, since our postal-system is pretty snappy! -- and I even don't need to pay any postal-fees or anything. The company I bought the parts from handles everything else and, in most cases, if they determine the part is defect, they'll just simply ship me a new one from their storages instead of making me wait for the original manufacturer to do something about the part.

The turnaround-time for e.g. when I had a defect motherboard was literally 4 days and even that was just waiting for the postal-system to move the packages back and forth.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

This is why I don't buy PC parts internationally.  Apart form having awesome cosumer protections in Australia, the premium I pay here keeps at least one more job here and gives me a solid place to return to.

Frankly the premium in my country doesn’t justify the much faster/cheaper customer service. Prices are always high and fixed as they refuse to change based on market behavior. 

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

7 minutes ago, Morgoth97 said:

Frankly the premium in my country doesn’t justify the much faster/cheaper customer service. Prices are always high and fixed as they refuse to change based on market behavior. 

How inflated are they compared to the economy in general?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

37 minutes ago, Morgoth97 said:

Snip

That’s annoying as hell. I would think it would go to Newegg and they would deal with it from there. 

Around here only PNY and EVGA allows warranty handling to go directly with them, all other brands are via the reseller.

I don't know why newegg is giving you a hard time. other than to save themselves some small costs.

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle