Curious about what I found on my system when gaming

_Hustler_One_

Hi..

I only play World of Tanks and Monster Hunter World. My system specs i7-8700K, NH-C14S, GTX 1060 6G, 16G RAM.

Both games are at all their max settings 1080p. The things I found about them are I can get 90-120 FPS in WoT with outputs:

90% load/117W/76C CPU, 100% load/133W/72C GPU

than when I play MHW at 50-70 FPS and some stutters with all the VRAM is being eaten out with outputs:

72% load/97W/70C CPU, 100% load/129W/68C GPU

I thought the Monster Hunter is the heavier game for my system to run than the Tanks, knowing it only run at lower FPS depite at 100% load but why lower power and heat?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

13 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

but why lower power and heat?

it's only a 4W difference (insignificant), but the lower heat is because the CPU is loaded less so that affects the GPU as well

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 hour ago, _Syn_ said:

it's only a 4W difference (insignificant), but the lower heat is because the CPU is loaded less so that affects the GPU as well

What bugs me out is the game performance is lower in MHW like it is being pushed to the limit but the GPU consumes less power than in WoT, while WoT is known as a CPU instensive game than MHW.

It bugs me even more because I set the GPU power limit at 90% but with OC +230 +550.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

24 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

What bugs me out is the game performance is lower in MHW like it is being pushed to the limit but the GPU consumes less power than in WoT, while WoT is know as a CPU instensive game than MHW.

What you described is exactly whats happening, you're getting more CPU usage in WoT, and 100% GPU load doesn't mean you get the same FPS, it just means the GPU is doing the best it can, which is ideal

and again 4W difference is nothing, that's basically the difference between the fan at low RPM vs a fan at higher RPM

9 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

What you described is exactly whats happening, you're getting more CPU usage in WoT, and 100% GPU load doesn't mean you get the same FPS, it just means the GPU is doing the best it can, which is ideal

and again 4W difference is nothing, that's basically the difference between the fan at low RPM vs a fan at higher RPM

Right.. But what makes the more CPU intensive game utilize the GPU same or slightly more than the one which is a GPU intensive?

I'm not complaining it, I'm just curious what is happening with the hardware with certain game run on them, as I'm not so tech than others but I like playing with computer hardwares.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

1 hour ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Right.. But what makes the more CPU intensive game utilize the GPU same or slightly more than the one which is a GPU intensive?

I'm not complaining it, I'm just curious what is happening with the hardware with certain game run on them, as I'm not so tech than others but I like playing with computer hardwares.

the GPU is under full load in both scenarios simply because your CPU can handle processing all the frames needed for the GPU to be utilized at 100%, the GPU doesn't care which game is more GPU intensive, it will always try to do the best it can, whether the CPU can keep up that's up to how the game is optimized and how your system is balanced, when the GPU is below 100% that means that there's a CPU bottleneck, but when the CPU is below 100% that's a GPU bottleneck which is good and is recommended, you don't want the CPU to be at 100%, that will cause stutters

Game optimization

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

56 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

the GPU is under full load in both scenarios simply because your CPU can handle processing all the frames needed for the GPU to be utilized at 100%, the GPU doesn't care which game is more GPU intensive, it will always try to do the best it can, whether the CPU can keep up that's up to how the game is optimized and how your system is balanced, when the GPU is below 100% that means that there's a CPU bottleneck, but when the CPU is below 100% that's a GPU bottleneck which is good and is recommended, you don't want the CPU to be at 100%, that will cause stutters

Thanks for explaining. So this makes me know how we know if we have CPU bottleneck or not, new knowledge for me as I'm always never cared anything about bottlenecks on a PC.

Knowing that the MHW stutters while the CPU is only at 72% load but my GPU VRAM is being eaten out all its 6Gb despite it runs at 60 FPS, so it's purely needs a better GPU right?

I think some latest WoT updates pushes the CPU and GPU more than ever despite it's known as a CPU intensive game and it utilizes only 4Gb VRAM.

The MHW this day eats up 6G VRAM fully with maxed out setting 1080p on my Pascal, but I'm not sure if faster Turing GPU with same amount of VRAM (1660Ti/2060) will still run at 6Gb VRAM and stutter and hot or not.

Waiting for either RX 5700 or 2060 Super 8Gb just to get long 3-4 years lasting card with full duration of warranty rather than used or even new GTX 1070 or older RX or Vega 56 for their 8Gb.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

5 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Knowing that the MHW stutters while the CPU is only at 72% load but my GPU VRAM is being eaten out all its 6Gb despite it runs at 60 FPS, so it's purely needs a better GPU right? 

Could be many things, I have no clue

5 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

The MHW this day eats up 6G VRAM fully with maxed out setting 1080p on my Pascal, but I'm not sure if faster Turing GPU with same amount of VRAM (1660Ti/2060) will still run at 6Gb VRAM and stutter and hot or not.

Lower graphics settings, if the stuttering disappears then you know you're limited by your GPU, otherwise then the issue is something else