iPhone 6 To Have Sapphire Glass Screen?

According to reports, the Foxconn factory in Shenzen has assembled  prototypes of the next generation iPhone 6. The surprising thing about this is the sapphire glass based screen. The report points out the difficulty in preparing this prototype and putting in the iPhone home button and the camera. Foxconn however in the end overcame the difficulties and completed it.

Future-iPhones-Might-Have-Sapphire-Cryst

Another interesting report here from last November states that Apple started building a manufacturing plant for the sole purpose of making sapphire crystals. These would be later used in Apple products. Such a big output from this factory can be linked to the upcoming Apple flagship smartphone. Apple’s CEO confirmed the company’s investment in the sapphire glass industry.

It is also widely known that sapphire glass is more “tougher” than Gorilla glass. If this is confirmed, then this move will drive prices up for the iPhone 6. How high? we will see soon enough when the smartphone launches.

SOURCE

sapphire is expensive, apple are stupid if they think people will pay something like 999 for a phone, actually screw im sure people are gonna fall for it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

sapphire is expensive, apple are stupid if they think people will pay something like 999 for a phone, actually screw im sure people are gonna fall for it.

You have to consider, people in this world love fashion statements and trump cards. Combine them in one phone and people will buy no matter how expensive it is. I know way too many people who would say "Look at my new Iphone 6, it cost (insert money amount here)" then laugh in my face because my phone was only $300. Its just how people are...

apple are stupid if they think people will pay something like 999 for a phone

That is their entire business model. Haha

It's synthetic, so not as expensive as you might think, but yeah.  More than glass anyway.

Sapphire has greater hardness than glass which makes it more scratch resistant, but on the same token it also makes it more brittle and easier to shatter.  I'm not sure if this is a good trade, but we'll see.

This rumour has popped up a few times before over the past year. I don't see it actually happening though if it can't be done while still meeting their current price point. One thing to keep in mind though is that Apple likely makes many different prototypes with different materials and such, so even if it is true that foxconn has manufactured prototypes for Apple with Sapphire screens, it doesn't necessarily mean that's what they will use in the next iPhone. 

It's synthetic, so not as expensive as you might think, but yeah.  More than glass anyway.

Sapphire has greater hardness than glass which makes it more scratch resistant, but on the same token it also makes it more brittle and easier to shatter.  I'm not sure if this is a good trade, but we'll see.

So its harder but its weaker, thats an odd tradeoff.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

That's the normal tradeoff. With these things, the harder they are the more scratch resistant they are but also the more brittle they are.

Not sure if it makes sense from an everyday usage standpoint, that could go either way. But it DOES sound like one hell of a marketing term.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

It already costs 999 here (iPhone 4 costed 999, 4S as well, 5 as well and 5S same)... Even more, and people fall for it. lol

And then you drop it from sofa height onto the floor and the screen shatters into a billion tiny pieces because the material used is extremely brittle.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It already costs 999 here (iPhone 4 costed 999, 4S as well, 5 as well and 5S same)... Even more, and people fall for it. lol

im talking in £, thats like 1499 for you guys

Listen if you care.

In engineering terms, strength and toughness/hardness mean two different things entirely.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Not diamond.I'm not impressed.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I thought they are using sapphire glass from iPhone 5 it self...is'nt the true?

My youtube channel: itsMrN

Stronger screens are always good news
However I would rather see the money put into better R&D of battery tech. Having a tough screen is nice and all, but having no energy left is more problematic.
I am sure the GS5 will have something similar if not the same.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

So like the original PSP. That had sapphire crystal glass.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I don't really understand why people are bashing apple for this, they're offering a premium product with a premium feature at a premium price. This is generally how things go isn't it? The feature of this product is also one that increases the longevity of the product which is great for a lot of people who upgrade once every several generation. Lets also face it, at least in the UK a large majority of people will just receive the next Iphone as their new phone from their contracts or what not making it less of an issue of the upfront price

oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares.jpeg

Smartphones need to hurry up and reach end-of-innovation so the news can go away  <_<

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'd like to see if this will be a marketing gimmick or if it actually delivers. I cannot wait to see it tested 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

It's not that expensive, significantly more than gorilla glass, but not as much has one might think. That scratch resistant brittleness trade off doesn't sound too appealing.

I'd like to see if this will be a marketing gimmick or if it actually delivers. I cannot wait to see it tested

Isn't that like saying gorilla glass is a marketing gimmick? Sure it's hype to sell phones but if it is a measurable improvement, it's not really a gimmick.

Isn't that like saying gorilla glass is a marketing gimmick? Sure it's hype to sell phones but if it is a measurable improvement, it's not really a gimmick.

Gorilla glass has been tested. There are several videos on youtube of people trying to damage it. To my knowledge there are no smartphones on the market that have a sapphire display. I said I'm waiting to see tests whether it's a gimmick or not

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

From what I've heard, the proposal is that they put a thin layer of Sapphire over Gorilla glass or any standard(strengthened) screen glass, therefore it'll cost less, be less prone to shattering and more scratch resistant. It's a more viable option than just pure Sapphire.

{B t t tk Pf t B t t tk Pf tk B Pf} <--- This is my language. BEATBOXING FOR LIFE!