I need a computer capable of loading, editing, and saving 200GB video files without one hiccup. Suggestions?

I need a computer capable of loading, editing, and saving 200GB video files without one hiccup. Suggestions? I don't know if I need a workstation or what, I honestly don't know if sli-ing a few 2080 ti's would do it as far as capability for graphics, and what about cpu? Is it possible to have, like, a few threadrippers working in tandum? This IS technically theoretical, but also a serious consideration for a future career.

3 minutes ago, winterfate said:

I need a computer capable of loading, editing, and saving 200GB video files without one hiccup. Suggestions? I don't know if I need a workstation or what, I honestly don't know if sli-ing a few 2080 ti's would do it as far as capability for graphics, and what about cpu? Is it possible to have, like, a few threadrippers working in tandum? This IS technically theoretical, but also a serious consideration for a future career.

I think apple just released some kind of professional workstation that will fit the bill.....

...but you may not like the price

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Get a Threadripper,

fill it with 64-128 GB of RAM,

for disk read/write speeds maybe 2 nvme SSDs in raid-0 or 4 nvme drives on a pci-e x16 adapter card

use DaVinci Resolve or an editor that can use video cards to accelerate decoding and encoding... Premiere likes Intel cpus, DaVinci Resolve works well with Threadripper.

Just now, mariushm said:

Get a Threadripper,

fill it with 64-128 GB of RAM,

for disk read/write speeds maybe 2 nvme SSDs in raid-0 or 4 nvme drives on a pci-e x16 adapter card

use DaVinci Resolve or an editor that can use video cards to accelerate decoding and encoding... Premiere likes Intel cpus, DaVinci Resolve works well with Threadripper.

Yeah, I have Davinci Resolve, love it, it cant handle editing all 6 hobbit and lotr movies together into one film though... lol That threadripper idea sounds fabulous. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, winterfate said:

Yeah, I have Davinci Resolve, love it, it cant handle editing all 6 hobbit and lotr movies together into one film though... lol That threadripper idea sounds fabulous. Thank you!

How long can you wait?

Iirc davinci cares a bit about clockspeed. 

Its gonna be a while but 16 cores Ryzen 3 and some NVMe storage should do the trick. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

How long can you wait?

Iirc davinci cares a bit about clockspeed. 

Its gonna be a while but 16 cores Ryzen 3 and some NVMe storage should do the trick. 

Yeah this'll be a fair ways into the future, this build. You think the new amd will be all it's cracked up to be?

12 minutes ago, winterfate said:

Yeah this'll be a fair ways into the future, this build. You think the new amd will be all it's cracked up to be?

seems like it based on everything we know. 

launch of the 16 core is in september iirc

allways wait for benchmarks, but i dont think you need a lot of GPUs. getting HEDT then isnt really that neccesary. unless you really need the Ram. 

What's actually slowing Davinci down?

If you don't mind the disk space, you can convert your input into an easier format for Davinci to work with, like maybe ProRes ... you may have 1-2 TB of video but it should hardware decode easily and maybe Davinci would struggle less.

10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

What's actually slowing Davinci down?

If you don't mind the disk space, you can convert your input into an easier format for Davinci to work with, like maybe ProRes ... you may have 1-2 TB of video but it should hardware decode easily and maybe Davinci would struggle less.

Well, to give you an idea, look at le task manager screenshots: image.thumb.png.c22bc6604781308138d0cc56923341a1.pngimage.thumb.png.d74fc9de3d088c4fed7a998ac6374cc1.png

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, winterfate said:

Budget?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

considering about your future, i suggest you to pick server processor for concern about life span, stability and durability.

thread on below maybe can give you a little help :

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 2:46 AM, brob said:

Budget?

Well, is a theoretical future purchase, so the budget really is kind of... infinite, for the sake of consideration.

13 minutes ago, winterfate said:

Well, is a theoretical future purchase, so the budget really is kind of... infinite, for the sake of consideration.

A pointless exercise. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, brob said:

A pointless exercise. 

Thank you for your valuable assistance.