I updated a computer yesterday with those specs

i7-6700k @ 4,6GHz 1,34VCORE

GTX 1070 

16 GB DDR4 2666Mhz

EVGA 650W Gold Plus PSU

2 SSD of 500 GB Samsung Evo 950

H115i Pro RGB Corsair Water Cooling Kit

1440p 27 inch 144hz Dell monitor

So my friend had this build but in an old case and decided to switch the GPU to an Asus Strix OC RTX 2070. After switching the build into the new case everything was fine i tuned the OC a bit but now i got bad performance in only BFV using the new GPU, mainly in BFV. The CPU sits around 95% to 100% usage at all time and the GPU is between 70% and 90% usage. And also, the game is not stable, sometimes the FPS will be great even with low GPU usage but the other game after that the FPS are 10 to 30 lower.

This is all the test i've done since the switch off GPU's :

Install fresh drivers for Nvidia after uninstalling all the old ones with DDU, same result bad performance in BFV

Uninstall/install again BFV, same results bad performance

Virus scan to be sure nothing was running in the background, no treats found

Close all programs in the backgrounds, no result

Tried DX11 with FFR ON, bad GPU usage

Tried DX11 with FFR OFF, same results but with a drop of 30 fps (normal behavior i believe)

Tried DX12 with FFR ON, same thing but with way more stutter

Tried DX12 with FFR OFF, same results with a lot of stutter again

Other games i've tried : 

PUBG, running fine with 99% GPU usage

Metro Exodus, running fine with 99% GPU usage

Witcher 3, running fine with 99% GPU usage

Only thing remaining is to install/format Windows and flash bios to have a more recent version but the weird thing wich made me think it was CPU bottleneck is that if a turn down the graphics in BFV the GPU usage goes down to around 40%/50% and the fps stays the same, if i crank the settings to all Ultra preset the GPU usage goes up to 70/90% usage but still around the same 90 to 120 fps. 

I did research before telling my friend to buy a RTX 2070 and i didn't expect CPU bottleneck, or maybe it's just BFV and 4core/8 threads CPU a problem ? 

P.S. Sorry for my english it's not my first language and thanks for your comprehension 

CPU : i7-8700k  Mobo : Asus Prime z370-a RAM : G.Skill RipJaws V 16gb (2x8gb) Storage : 1tb Samsung 850 EVO

GPU : EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Cooling : Corsair H100i V2 PSU : Corsair Rm850x

Battlefield V is a CPU intensive game, so it's likely the i7-6700K will cause some bottlenecking issues. Also one thing to note: Lowering the graphics quality does nothing to improve the situation, because the CPU is responsible for giving the GPU things to do. If the CPU is already tapped out at maximum quality settings, lowering it isn't going to help.

4 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Battlefield V is a CPU intensive game, so it's likely the i7-6700K will cause some bottlenecking issues. Also one thing to note: Lowering the graphics quality does nothing to improve the situation, because the CPU is responsible for giving the GPU things to do. If the CPU is already tapped out at maximum quality settings, lowering it isn't going to help.

That's why i thought about CPU bottlenecking but during my research, small but still, 6700k was fine for the RTX 2070 but looks like BFV needs more core/threads then anticipated.

Edit : The settings at first we're a mix of High/Med/Low in BFV i tried all low or all Ultra just to see the CPU reaction or if the FPS we're gonna be better 

CPU : i7-8700k  Mobo : Asus Prime z370-a RAM : G.Skill RipJaws V 16gb (2x8gb) Storage : 1tb Samsung 850 EVO

BFV is extremely CPU intensive, that's going to be your problem right there, you said you have you're CPU overclocked? What to?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

18 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

BFV is extremely CPU intensive, that's going to be your problem right there, you said you have you're CPU overclocked? What to?

Oveclocked to 4,6Ghz, tried 4,7 with 1,355Vcore but wasn't stable at all so i stayed with the OC at 4,6 with 1,34Vcore but can't go much higher since the temps are already kinda hot around 70C to 80C in full 100% CPU load.

10 minutes ago, Se7enEle7en said:

Oveclocked to 4,6Ghz, tried 4,7 with 1,355Vcore but wasn't stable at all so i stayed with the OC at 4,6 with 1,34Vcore but can't go much higher since the temps are already kinda hot around 70C to 80C in full 100% CPU load.

1.355 isn't all that high... With an H115i it should not be getting that hot at all. When was the last time the CPU was repasted? What paste? How was the paste application? After hitting 80c, how much will the temp go down at idle? Also, what were the old and new cases?

Also, yes, BFV loves cores. 4c/8t is bare minimum for that game.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

6 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

1.355 isn't all that high... With an H115i it should not be getting that hot at all. When was the last time the CPU was repasted? What paste? How was the paste application? After hitting 80c, how much will the temp go down at idle? Also, what were the old and new cases?

The paste used was MX4 from Artic =, the old case was an Antec i believe. He switch it up for a ThermalLake view 71 and the application of the paste was done by one of my friends wich has a lot of XP in pc building but maybe we can clean it up and applied new one again for temps. Do you think that higher CPU clock would tone down the bottleneck ?

And the paste was applied this past friday

EDIT : The temp at IDLE are around 32 to 35C for the package and stays at around 36 to 38C after running stress test or playing BFV for couple of hours but he live on a third floor with room temp around 25C or more during summer times without A/C

2 minutes ago, Se7enEle7en said:

The paste used was MX4 from Artic =, the old case was an Antec i believe. He switch it up for a ThermalLake view 71 and the application of the paste was done by one of my friends wich has a lot of XP in pc building but maybe we can clean it up and applied new one again for temps. Do you think that higher CPU clock would tone down the bottleneck ?

And the paste was applied this past friday

The View is an... aesthetics oriented case, to put it nicely. Is your rad is on the front, or top? Intake or exhaust? MX4 is fine paste, I'm not looking at that now. Where ever the radiator is, remove the TG in front of it and see how much temps drop. All panels seem to come off with 4 thumb screws.

Higher clocks can alleviate the issue to a degree, it simply depends how far off the ball you are.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

3 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

The View is an... aesthetics oriented case, to put it nicely. Is your rad is on the front, or top? Intake or exhaust? MX4 is fine paste, I'm not looking at that now. Where ever the radiator is, remove the TG in front of it and see how much temps drop. All panels seem to come off with 4 thumb screws.

Higher clocks can alleviate the issue to a degree, it simply depends how far off the ball you are.

The radiator is top mounted has an exhaust with 3 120mm Silent Wings 2 in the front since one of the 2 fans he got in the case was already broke before use. He has 3 120mm fan in front has intake, 1 140mm fan in the back for exhaust and 2 140mm on top for exhaust with the radiotor top mount

EDIT : My friend who applied the thermal paste just told me the paste spilled on the CPU before he put down the AIO but everyhting looked spread and he didn't clean and applied new one after that

1 minute ago, Se7enEle7en said:

The radiator is top mounted has an exhaust with 3 120mm Silent Wings 2 in the front since one of the 2 fans he got in the case was already broke before use. He has 3 120mm fan in front has intake, 1 140mm fan in the back for exhaust and 2 140mm on top for exhaust with the radiotor top mount

EDIT : My friend who applied the thermal paste just told me the paste spilled on the CPU before he put down the AIO but everyhting looked spread and he didn't clean and applied new one after that

Well, running it as exhaust will always make it run hotter. Flip the fans on the rad around to run it as an intake, having only the one fan as exhaust is fine. Positive pressure isn't the best for dust buildup, but the View seems to have good filters.

I'm not sure what he means by "the paste spilled on the CPU", as it's supposed to be applied on the CPU...

Monitor temps using Prime 95 Blended before and after you flip the fans. Report back with a screenshot of CPU Core and Package temps.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, SenpaiKaplan said:

Well, running it as exhaust will always make it run hotter. Flip the fans on the rad around to run it as an intake, having only the one fan as exhaust is fine. Positive pressure isn't the best for dust buildup, but the View seems to have good filters.

I'm not sure what he means by "the paste spilled on the CPU", as it's supposed to be applied on the CPU...

Monitor temps using Prime 95 Blended before and after you flip the fans. Report back with a screenshot of CPU Core and Package temps.

He was trying to make sure the AIO fits with the top mount and just tried to put in above the CPU just to see if it's gonna fit, he says with the top mount it was tight for the AIO and he touched the grain of rice  of paste with is forearm while doing that nothing spilled on the board anyway MX4 is non conductive but the paste seems fine on the CPU.

Right now i'm at the office and it's my friend's computer so i will probably try to switch the fans this week end and propably take out the AIO to remove the paste and apply new ones.

What type of Vcore for Skylake is right to try for 4,7 or 4,8 ghz OC on the CPU ? i watched a couple of videos but people we're going for 1,345 on 47 sync all cores but i can even start the computer with those values, once he reaches W10 i get BSOD right away. The only time it went past the W10 boot i got an error in Aida64 stability test and BSOD right after using 1,35VCore for 47 sync all core OC

He was trying to make sure the AIO fits with the top mount and just tried to put in above the CPU just to see if it's gonna fit, he says with the top mount it was tight for the AIO and he touched the grain of rice  of paste with is forearm while doing that nothing spilled on the board anyway MX4 is non conductive but the paste seems fine on the CPU.

Right now i'm at the office and it's my friend's computer so i will probably try to switch the fans this week end and propably take out the AIO to remove the paste and apply new ones.

What type of Vcore for Skylake is right to try for 4,7 or 4,8 ghz OC on the CPU ? i watched a couple of videos but people we're going for 1,345 on 47 sync all cores but i can even start the computer with those values, once he reaches W10 i get BSOD right away. The only time it went past the W10 boot i got an error in Aida64 stability test and BSOD right after using 1,35VCore for 47 sync all core OC

All 14nm chips follow the same rules, Skylake to Coffee Lake+. 1.5 is the max before you will start causing damage on conventional cooling, 1.4 is the highest recommended for a system if you do not shut it off. I personally start feeling anxious for my hardware at ~1.45.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

All 14nm chips follow the same rules, Skylake to Coffee Lake+. 1.5 is the max before you will start causing damage on conventional cooling, 1.4 is the highest recommended for a system if you do not shut it off. I personally start feeling anxious for my hardware at ~1.45.

Thanks again for your time ! I just called my friend who own the PC from the Office and he's playing BFV right now with temps around 75C to 78C with OC at 4,6Ghz and Vcore at 1,345. I'ill try to switch the fan around this friday and remove the AIO to clean the paste and apply new one. 

I also noticed when i worked on the OC this past sunday that the cable going from the RAD to the AIO we're not to straight but had 2 curves in them. Should i try to go for a front mount of the RAD with only 1 exhaust at the rear of the machine ? i'v done that with my build (see rig in signature) and my temps never reaches 70C or above with a Coffee Lake chip at 5ghz

Thanks again for your time ! I just called my friend who own the PC from the Office and he's playing BFV right now with temps around 75C to 78C with OC at 4,6Ghz and Vcore at 1,345. I'ill try to switch the fan around this friday and remove the AIO to clean the paste and apply new one. 

I also noticed when i worked on the OC this past sunday that the cable going from the RAD to the AIO we're not to straight but had 2 curves in them. Should i try to go for a front mount of the RAD with only 1 exhaust at the rear of the machine ? i'v done that with my build (see rig in signature) and my temps never reaches 70C or above with a Coffee Lake chip at 5ghz

Im assuming you mean pipes from the radiator to pump? So long as they aren't kinked the amount of bends don't matter.

Honestly, the top seems like it has better airflow properties than the front. Leave the radiator where it is, just swap the fans.

75-78c sounds much more normal for that config and case. Still a tad high, but reasonable. Repaste the CPU while you're at it, I bet the application is thin.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Im assuming you mean pipes from the radiator to pump? So long as they aren't kinked the amount of bends don't matter.

Honestly, the top seems like it has better airflow properties than the front. Leave the radiator where it is, just swap the fans.

75-78c sounds much more normal for that config and case. Still a tad high, but reasonable. Repaste the CPU while you're at it, I bet the application is thin.

Alright thanks again i'll post the temps probably on saturday after i worked on the rig a bit ! Sorry if i was wrong with couple of terms or words english is my second language and i don't use it daily.

Last time i would like to trouble you with. I set the Vcore to manual and set it to 1,345 in the BIOS AI Tweaker. While benchmarking or stress testing i notice using HWMonitor that the Vcore at idle was stable at 1,344 but when stress testing or benchmarking (3dmarks and Cinebench) the Vcore would jump to 1,36.

Edit : And yes i was talking about the pipes my bad

Just now, Se7enEle7en said:

Alright thanks again i'll post the temps probably on saturday after i worked on the rig a bit ! Sorry if i was wrong with couple of terms or words english is my second language and i don't use it daily.

Last time i would like to trouble you with. I set the Vcore to manual and set it to 1,345 in the BIOS AI Tweaker. While benchmarking or stress testing i notice using HWMonitor that the Vcore at idle was stable at 1,344 but when stress testing or benchmarking (3dmarks and Cinebench) the Vcore would jump to 1,36.

Not a problem, my english is less than fantastic sometimes due to the fact that I know a lot of different languages. Also, small voltage fluctuations like that are perfectly normal.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Not a problem, my english is less than fantastic sometimes due to the fact that I know a lot of different languages. Also, small voltage fluctuations like that are perfectly normal.

Perfect thanks again buddy ! I'll update the post this saturday with the result for both bottlenecking on the i7 6700k and the temps before and after the fan switching sides to intake

46 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

After researching the difference between exhaust and intake for a top mounted rad i'm kinda confused.... can you just explain to me why it's better to have it has an intake instead of exhaust because for me it,s kinda counter intuitive. Thanks again for your time

50 minutes ago, Se7enEle7en said:

After researching the difference between exhaust and intake for a top mounted rad i'm kinda confused.... can you just explain to me why it's better to have it has an intake instead of exhaust because for me it,s kinda counter intuitive. Thanks again for your time

To put it simply, the air in your PC is above ambient by nature. Everything in it produces heat. By running the rad as exhaust you're drawing above ambient air through it, which is warmer air.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

So a 6700k is not enough to run the newest Battlefield now?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the long wait with no post on the topic but the problem was CPU bottlenecking the GPU only in BFV. We refunded the RTX2070 and are now waiting to buy a new CPU from probably the Ryzen 3000 series or the 9900k form Intel.

Thanks again y'all