Windows deactivate after motherboard change?

drazurd

Hello I’m planning on changing my motherboard and I heard that windows will deactivate if I don't link my license to an account. I currently have 3/4 accounts linked do I have to link the fourth one.

it should still work with the boot drive you are using, but make sure on the new motherboard has the required slots (E.G sata)

i dont think that should be a problem at all...just make sure the pc boots from the disk with windows on it. u can look it up in the bios

it will deactivate unless the motherboard is exactly the same...but then if it does all you have to do is reinput the code (if from a win 7 upgrade just reinput 7s code)or call them if first dont work.

It's a little complicated but dependent on what type of key you're using yes it will deactivate. The workaround to this is linking the key to a Microsoft account. I have not done this myself so I can't instruct you on exactly how to do that.

If you're saying 3/4 accounts on the computer are linked I would expect whichever one holds the Administrator account to be the only one that matters. From there you're linking an online account to the machine so the other users should be irrelevant.

I have run into the issue of windows deactivating when swapping motherboards. I opened a ticket with Microsoft support and they reactivated Windows 10 for me. I cannot say that will do that for everyone. 

I have run into the issue of Windows deactivating whenever I change different components in my pc. I understand its something to do with Windows kind of taking a "snapshot" to identify your pc. I think Linus mentioned this in a video semi recently.

If your key is linked to your Microsoft account, you won't have to worry about it deactivating. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I literally just asked this question yesterday under the motherboard and cpu sub forum, Basically the consensus was that it may or may not happen and if it does than you can contact microsoft and they may or may not fix it lol

Windows 7 and under you’ll need to re-enter the license key.

Windows 10 it should be fine.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Link your local account to Microsoft Account before swap. Also - you can google "windows activation after major hardware change" and you'll find official Microsoft website about that.

I've had it deactivate mine a few times after a mobo swap. Mine was originally a 7 licence that was upgraded to 10. Each time I've logged a support ticket with MS. Because it was an upgraded key it can be a little more complicated for them, had them remote in twice and sort by playing around with the registry and assigning it a new key. Didn't make any differnce to my MS account, seem to automatically log the change and keep it linked to my account.

Gaming Rig: Intel i5 8600k @ 5Ghz (-1 AVX) 1.325v - MSI Z370 Gaming M5 mobo - MSI GTX1070 Gaming 8GB - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2600MHz 4x8GB - CM ML240L RGB 240mm AIO - 240GB NVME, 480GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD - Corsair RM750x PSU - Silverstone PM02

Media Server: Intel G4400 - MSI Z270 Gaming Plus - 4GB RAM - 600GB WD Raptor - 10TB RAID5 - CM HAF932

Surface Pro 4: Intel i7 6650U - 8GB RAM - 256GB SSD

Dell Latitude E6530: Intel i7 3520M - 8GB DDR3 - Nvidia NVS 5200M 1GB - 300GB HDD

NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 4TB