CPU tier list chat page

A CPU tier list will be coming shortly, worked on by me, @LukeSavenije, @themctipers, @Stefan Payne, and @XR6. This is the place for you guys to talk about it, theorize, and give suggestions. I will be checking this page often, so you'll see a lot of me.

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

Will the list include categories, like best CPUs for overclocking, best multi threaded performance, best single threaded performance, best overall, best price to performance etc?

how many gens do you want to cover? i mean like 6000 series intel are only slight refresh of 2000 series over the years.

Will overclockable mobo & expected results be taken into account?

Laptops gpus too? they are often confusing as well "u/s/k/hq etc"

how would you sort out some old & great cpu that are still pretty expensive and no one should get?

On 6/10/2019 at 4:05 AM, Mr_Argon said:

Will the list include categories, like best CPUs for overclocking, best multi threaded performance, best single threaded performance, best overall, best price to performance etc?

Right now that hasn't been included but it's something I will add soon.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:23 AM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

how many gens do you want to cover? i mean like 6000 series intel are only slight refresh of 2000 series over the years.

For Intel desktop CPUs we're going back to 3rd gen/Ivy Bridge (I've also added some of the X58 Xeons in there as well). 

For AMD desktop CPUs we're going back to Bulldozer.

Will overclockable mobo & expected results be taken into account?

Yes, they will.

Laptops gpus too? they are often confusing as well "u/s/k/hq etc"

We'll probably include a list of what each letter means, so for example something like this: "U = Ultra-low power, MQ = Quad-core mobile CPU".

how would you sort out some old & great cpu that are still pretty expensive and no one should get?

We haven't figured out how we'd do that yet.

Edit: Just to let you all know, I am not going to be working on the tier list from 14th June onwards. I don't have enough spare time to work on it anymore, nor do I have any motivation to do so either. Sorry, but I'm unable to keep working on it.

We will have sections for unlocked, locked, and mobile CPUs, for both AMD and Intel. The list will show newest CPUs at the top, oldest ones at the bottom. We will probably add a tier where it'll basically be not worth it, F tier. Currently we are finished with the unlocked section of Intel. On each section we have categories, such as TDP, name, tier, cores, etc.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

• 6 months later...

This gonna be good

?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

Just curious if the idea ever came to fruition? Searching the forum for CPU Tier List doesn't yield any results but this short thread.

@Boinbo

@LukeSavenije, @themctipers, @Stefan Payne, and @XR6

It's a pointless list to have imo because it's not as nuanced as say, motherboards and PSUs where performance and quality are ambiguous among models that sound the same.

Every single 3700x or 9900k is relatively the same and there's enough data out there for each CPU where a list isn't necessary.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

It's a pointless list to have imo because it's not as nuanced as say, motherboards and PSUs where performance and quality are ambiguous among models that sound the same.

Every single 3700x or 9900k is relatively the same and there's enough data out there for each CPU where a list isn't necessary.

I don’t think they making that list for ppl like you, with a lot of experience in this tech segment, it’s probably more for new ppl which are coming to this forum and seeking advice anyway. 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

5 minutes ago, Whiro said:

I don’t think they making that list for ppl like you, with a lot of experience in this tech segment, it’s probably more for new ppl which are coming to this forum and seeking advice anyway. 

I think if they were going to do it they've had 6 months to do so, but haven't.

I think the reason why is that it's not necessary, and serves more to cause discord than educate.

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

I think the reason why is that it's not necessary, and serves more to cause discord than educate.

Looking forward to angry fanbois slamming their heads against each other

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

3 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Looking forward to angry fanbois slamming their heads against each other

This is every thread

15 hours ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

Just curious if the idea ever came to fruition? Searching the forum for CPU Tier List doesn't yield any results but this short thread.

@Boinbo

@LukeSavenije, @themctipers, @Stefan Payne, and @XR6

It didn't. I think we realised that it isn't going to work and then the project was abandoned. To be honest I didn't think a CPU tier list was a great idea, it seemed ok on paper but I thought (and still think) it'd only cause problems. 

15 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

This is exactly why I stopped working on it. It's just going to cause angry fanboys (from both sides) to start a flame war in the thread, making the thread useless. It's also unnecessary to have a CPU tier list when there are plenty of people here who give good advice on CPUs. 

As far as I'm concerned, the CPU tier list is gone for good and it's not coming back. 

What @XR6said, also, I don't have much time for the forums or discord anymore, so I can't work on stuff.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

Thanks All,

Very reasonable... I think whatever is on sale and meets one's needs is Top Tier at that particular moment in time.

This begs a question, I'm planning to build a new rig to replace very aging AMD FX 8350, and don't need too much performance, but i do need to be able to edit 4K GoPro videos.

So the question is, Ryzen 5 3600 - enough for the task? What's the difference with 3600x besides slightly higher clock? Is extra $160 for the 3700x worth considering?

2 hours ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

Thanks All,

Very reasonable... I think whatever is on sale and meets one's needs is Top Tier at that particular moment in time.

This begs a question, I'm planning to build a new rig to replace very aging AMD FX 8350, and don't need too much performance, but i do need to be able to edit 4K GoPro videos.

So the question is, Ryzen 5 3600 - enough for the task? What's the difference with 3600x besides slightly higher clock? Is extra $160 for the 3700x worth considering?

I'm gonna suggest posting this as a different topic, it'll likely Garner more views than posting on a dead-ish thread.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3