Moving from Intel to Amd caused GTX 1070 to perform horribly

danielsuarez369

Hello there!

A friend moved from an Intel build to an Amd ryzen one, and since then, everything has gone downhill. We have tried two CPUs, one 2600 and one 1600, and two different boards one Asus and one MSI. Same issues.

There is constant fps drops, and a lot of stuttering.

GPU is never at 100% and it causes very bad performance in simple games like Overwatch. Even at low settings, only getting ~100fps at 1080p. Even when stress testing it's at 100% at the beginning but then it drops to around 30%. Honestly completely out of ideas. Changed PSU, ran Memtest86, reinstalled the drivers with DDU like 4 times now, ran linux(which has the exact same issue just with ~20fps lower)...

Weirdly enough the issue doesn't exist with his old GPU which is a GTX 570, extremely weird

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

3 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Hello there!

A friend moved from an Intel build to an Amd ryzen one, and since then, everything has gone downhill. We have tried two CPUs, one 2600 and one 1600, and two different boards one Asus and one MSI. Same issues.

GPU is never at 100% and it causes very bad performance in simple games like Overwatch. Even at low settings, only getting ~100fps at 1080p. Even when stress testing it's at 100% at the beginning but then it drops to around 30%. Honestly completely out of ideas. Changed PSU, ran Memtest86, reinstalled the drivers with DDU like 4 times now, ran linux(which has the exact same issue just with ~20fps lower)...

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

What kind of help do you expect?
A pointing out that intels performs better with games?
Or the scene's agreement on ryzen performing better with higher and adjusted clock scores on your ram memory?
Or the advice to return to intel? :D

20 fps lower is quite the score... most benches show drops between 5 and 15 fps
persistent at that, following through multiple setup configurations
did the 2600 outperform the 1600?

Was windows a clean install or reuse/clone of the drive? 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Was windows a clean install or reuse/clone of the drive? 

Clean install

7 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

What kind of help do you expect?
A pointing out that intels performs better with games?
Or the scene's agreement on ryzen performing better with higher and adjusted clock scores on your ram memory?
Or the advice to return to intel? :D

My own personal rig is running Linux on Overwatch and I have a GTX 1060 and a Amd 2600x, and I am outperforming a GTX 1070. That is not normal

I am not sure if the 2600 outperformed the 1600, but if it did, the issue was still there.

2 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Clean install

did you disable the windows gaming mode?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Forgot to add that the games stutter and the fps drops a lot, and that the issue does not exist with his old GPU, a GTX 570

Just now, danielsuarez369 said:

Forgot to add that the games stutter and the fps drops a lot, and that the issue does not exist with his old GPU, a GTX 570

How fast is the RAM, and is it running in dual-channel?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

How fast is the RAM, and is it running in dual-channel?

Yes it is running in dual channel, the ram is 2667mhz

4 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Yes it is running in dual channel, the ram is 2667mhz

Overclock it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Overclock it.

i did and it didnt help/ crashed my pc

34 minutes ago, Trippieluk said:

i did and it didnt help/ crashed my pc

2666MHz RAM chokes Ryzen like crazy. It isn't the worst, but I would expect especially a 1600 to dip by about 20FPS under a current gen Intel chip with high latency 2666MHz RAM.

Don't use XMP, go in there and play with timings and RAM speed to try and hit 3000MHz.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 hour ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Weirdly enough the issue doesn't exist with his old GPU which is a GTX 570, extremely weird

This makes perfect sense. You created a massive GPU bottleneck to hide the CPU bottleneck you're experiencing likely due to slow RAM

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

2666MHz RAM chokes Ryzen like crazy. It isn't the worst, but I would expect especially a 1600 to dip by about 20FPS under a current gen Intel chip with high latency 2666MHz RAM.

Don't use XMP, go in there and play with timings and RAM speed to try and hit 3000MHz.

well i did that, but my problem isnt getting the fps like a intel chip, its more that i get lag/stutter with like 100 fps on all low settings

1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

This makes perfect sense. You created a massive GPU bottleneck to hide the CPU bottleneck you're experiencing likely due to slow RAM

well i also had the problem before with a diffrent mobo, ram, different gtx 1070 and psu

3 minutes ago, Trippieluk said:

well i did that, but my problem isnt getting the fps like a intel chip, its more that i get lag/stutter with like 100 fps on all low settings

You mentioned OW, which certainly makes sense. The game engine is very buggy with certain configs and applications.

Uncap your FPS if it isn't already, and raise your settings to 1080P Max. A 1070 can handle it.

Run the game in borderless windowed mode

Disable all antivirus programs that arent WIndows Defender

If you are using an GSkill software, uninstall that

If you have any RGB controller software, disable that.

All advice coming from experience, as I am a retired semi-pro Overwatch player. 

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, SenpaiKaplan said:

You mentioned OW, which certainly makes sense. The game engine is very buggy with certain configs and applications.

Uncap your FPS if it isn't already, and raise your settings

Run the game in borderless windowed mode

All advice coming from experience, as I am a retired semi-pro Overwatch player. 

1.fps uncapped and in spawn fps is about 200, in team fights as low as 90.
2.did that no help
3. only have windows defender (new install of window yesterday)
4-no gskill software
5.no rgb shit

bro im pushing t500 rn i cant have that shit. im tryin to fix this rn for the past few days like idk what to do :(

5 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

By the way, this exact same thing happens in Linux.

Is your in-game options set to your max refresh rate and resolution?  I had that issue when I switched from a GTX 1070 TI --> RTX 2080 temporarily.  It changed my settings, which caused micro-stutters and other issues.

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

2 minutes ago, Trippieluk said:

1.fps uncapped and in spawn fps is about 200, in team fights as low as 90.
2.did that no help
3. only have windows defender (new install of window yesterday)
4-no gskill software
5.no rgb shit

bro im pushing t500 rn i cant have that shit. im tryin to fix this rn for the past few days like idk what to do :(

You're dead sure your RAM is running in dual channel? Your sticks are in DIMM slots 1 and 3?

Cap your FPS at 100 and it should stay stable, sounds like it will be.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, SenpaiKaplan said:

You're dead sure your RAM is running in dual channel? Your sticks are in DIMM slots 1 and 3?

Cap your FPS at 100 and it should stay stable, sounds like it will be.

His board only has two dimm slots. I verified they are indeed running in dual channel.

2 minutes ago, Taintedmind said:

Is your in-game options set to your max refresh rate and resolution?  I had that issue when I switched from a GTX 1070 TI --> RTX 2080 temporarily.  It changed my settings, which caused micro-stutters and other issues.

yea max resolution and 144*

I've heard of some software from AMD and NVIDIA conflicting in a build, so it caused major issues.  There might be a solution on YouTube, if you're willin to look for it.  There might be somethin in the AMD update code for the CPU that also contains code for AMD GPUs that caused the conflict, but I'm not positive.

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf