Best Fan Placement

StarterC

So I am building a new pc for the first time and I am thinking of my fan placement for my case I have a Cooler Master Q300L and I was thinking about placing having 2 140mm fans on the front with one intake Fan on the front bottom then with 1 exhaust in the back and one on the top closer to the rear exhaust, but i see in the picture from cooler master the fan placement is different. So, I am wondering if I should follow the placement in the picture from cooler master or a different ways any suggestions would be great since I am receiving my fans today.

Thank you in advance

section5-img.png

section7-img.png

Top fan in that picture is doing nothing. Actually, its doing worse than nothing as its exhausting cool air coming from front. You don't need more than 2 in, 1 out.

Their setup in that pic is horrible with GPU too. Its too close to PSU and I don't know why it would be placed there as it can clearly fit to upper slot. Like that its not getting enough air.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I also have a strix rx 570 and I heard that the card run a bit hot would it good to add more intake fans? since I got a deal for a pack of 4 fans lol

2 hours ago, StarterC said:

I also have a strix rx 570 and I heard that the card run a bit hot would it good to add more intake fans? since I got a deal for a pack of 4 fans lol

At the cost of more dust, a slightly negative pressure setup may be a bit better to let cool air seep in from the pci slots underneath the graphics card.

What cooler and fans do you have?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Top fan in that picture is doing nothing. Actually, its doing worse than nothing as its exhausting cool air coming from front. You don't need more than 2 in, 1 out.

Their setup in that pic is horrible with GPU too. Its too close to PSU and I don't know why it would be placed there as it can clearly fit to upper slot. Like that its not getting enough air.

Are you certain.... I'm feeling more towards ... might as well give it a try... if it works to your satisfaction then it is oke ?

I mean at first glance this looks ridicilous but maybe with optimal speeds it pulls up more heat in a more efficient way from the motherboard then you would initially expect

Just now, Christiaan21-03 said:

Are you certain.... I'm feeling more towards ... might as well give it a try... if it works to your satisfaction then it is oke ?

I mean at first glance this looks ridicilous but maybe with optimal speeds it pulls up more heat in a more efficient way from the motherboard then you would initially expect

If you test it, do smoke test. Maybe not like in this video:

But it shows quite well how fans move air. You can see that top front fan blows air directly to front-most top fan and out of the case. That portition of incoming air never touches hot components. Making both fan useless but for looks. The mid of front fans is more effective, as air comes in lower, its out of the reach of top fans. Only when its also out of the reach of front fans, it catches top fans pulling (and rear too). While bottom of the front fans feeds air towards GPU.

Or if you are referring to GPU. Its bit more situational thing. If the card is single intake blower, then that positioning is fine. If its something with 2+ fans, then thats just horrible. As all GPU fans are intaking kind, you want to have clear airflow path to them. Suffocating one next to PSU hardly qualifies. Besides that, there's very few reasons to not use 1st PCIe 16x slot on any motherboard.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

If you test it, do smoke test. Maybe not like in this video:

But it shows quite well how fans move air. You can see that top front fan blows air directly to front-most top fan and out of the case. That portition of incoming air never touches hot components. Making both fan useless but for looks. The mid of front fans is more effective, as air comes in lower, its out of the reach of top fans. Only when its also out of the reach of front fans, it catches top fans pulling (and rear too). While bottom of the front fans feeds air towards GPU.

Or if you are referring to GPU. Its bit more situational thing. If the card is single intake blower, then that positioning is fine. If its something with 2+ fans, then thats just horrible. As all GPU fans are intaking kind, you want to have clear airflow path to them. Suffocating one next to PSU hardly qualifies. Besides that, there's very few reasons to not use 1st PCIe 16x slot on any motherboard.

Agreed but i feel this is more like max speed :) there is a distinct whoomping sound from the fans accelerating and decellerating
I mean in that situation where everything is running at 3 to 500 rpm .. normal day to day bussiness so to speak

• 1 year later...

top front mount not a good idea as it exhaust fresh air out before the system uses it as said before. That case ( i think its a masterbox q500l) has a highly restrictive airflow. it quit deceiving given all the holes. 

11 hours ago, narrdarr said:

top front mount not a good idea as it exhaust fresh air out before the system uses it as said before. That case ( i think its a masterbox q500l) has a highly restrictive airflow. it quit deceiving given all the holes. 

I have mounted this acrylic piece at the front so the front fan can only extract air that's already been to the motherboard

IMG_20200916_194946.jpg

On 6/8/2019 at 2:35 PM, LogicalDrm said:

They put it down there so they could put in that GPU support bracket that is doing a great job of holding up those PCIe cables.

Woops, didn't realize this was a necro until I saw the other thread...

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

*** Thread locked ***

Please don't revive old threads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv