RX 570 is labeled as an 8GB but appears as a 4GB

I purchased a couple of used RX 570's on Ebay for a couple of builds I'm working on for a husband and wife. The first one that I bought was advertised as an 4GB variant and that's what I paid for. To the PC, it appears as a 4GB model, but the stickers on the card say "SAPPHIRE PULSE RADEON RX570 8G DDR5" which doesn't match the more recent RX 570 that I received from another seller.

Is it possible that the previous owner or maybe someone else flashed an 8GB card to appear as a 4GB model? I'm going to tear it apart and reapply thermal paste. Is there anything I should be looking for to confirm my theory? I'm very inexperienced with GPU teardowns and components.

IMG_1834.jpg

1 hour ago, FunkyBassBuddy said:

The first one is the '8GB' version and the second one is the 4GB.

Well it shows the full 8 gigabytes, so it seems to be a 8gb card.

What did you mean by the " To the PC, it appears as a 4GB model" ? Clearly the PC sees it as a 8gb card?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

7 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Well it shows the full 8 gigabytes, so it seems to be a 8gb card.

What did you mean by the " To the PC, it appears as a 4GB model" ? Clearly the PC sees it as a 8gb card?

Looking back at the Ebay listing, the guy didn't mention anything about VRAM... So I got lucky and paid $80 for a working 8GB model! It arrived in a ziploc bag... But it works! Case closed.