Measuring Internet speed over time.

Hi, just a quick question. I'm looking for a program to measure my internet speed  over time. To see if my ISP is lowering my speed and for how long and so on. I'm on 200Mb package with unlimited downland and no traffic control policy. At the moment I'm running at 45Mb. I need a program to tell me when my internet slows down to what speed. I dont need a read out all the time but something with history to follow up. One more thing I can pay for it but I dont do subscription or unsafe software. Thank you and if anything just ask.

Three is nothing like that. Every program that measure speed works on demand and uses full bandwitch. Whole idea of test network speed is to use your full bandwidth, so program that test internet speed, even from time to time, will slow down your connection (probably computer too).

Your speeds are UP TO 200mbps.

Speeds will depend on the server at other end which gives you pages or files.

For example, if I have a website connected to Internet using a 100mbps internet connection and a person downloads a file, he'll download at maximum 100 mbps even if his plan is 200mbps - 100mbps is max. the server can do.

If 10 people download, that 100 mbps will be split unevenly between those 10 people, ideally everyone will download with 100mbps / 10 = 10mbps

Also, speeds depend on distance and how congested the "wires" are.

For example, a company in Australia may have a website on a server in a datacenter and that server is connected to the internet using a 1gbps connection so that's super fast.

However, the whole datacenter with 5-10000 servers may be connected to Europe or US using a 10 gbps fiber cable in the ocean.

So that 10gbps (or even 40gbps or 100gbps) is shared between thousands of computers in that datacenter... some may serve only pages like this forum so on average let's say they'll use 1-5 mbps , others may serve files to hundreds of people.

Anyway... point is understand you may not get 200mbps from any site, any location. You may also get small speeds for individual files but if you download multiple files, you may get close to 200mbps in total.

check out samknows and their whitebox. they offered a kit that checks your isp is providing the speeds they quoted you. i used them several years ago for a few years and they worked really well. I managed to claim compensation from my ISP due to consistantly being unser speed.

https://samknows.com/technology/agents/samknows-whitebox

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

Your speeds are UP TO 200mbps.

Speeds will depend on the server at other end which gives you pages or files.

For example, if I have a website connected to Internet using a 100mbps internet connection and a person downloads a file, he'll download at maximum 100 mbps even if his plan is 200mbps - 100mbps is max. the server can do.

If 10 people download, that 100 mbps will be split unevenly between those 10 people, ideally everyone will download with 100mbps / 10 = 10mbps

Also, speeds depend on distance and how congested the "wires" are.

For example, a company in Australia may have a website on a server in a datacenter and that server is connected to the internet using a 1gbps connection so that's super fast.

However, the whole datacenter with 5-10000 servers may be connected to Europe or US using a 10 gbps fiber cable in the ocean.

So that 10gbps (or even 40gbps or 100gbps) is shared between thousands of computers in that datacenter... some may serve only pages like this forum so on average let's say they'll use 1-5 mbps , others may serve files to hundreds of people.

Anyway... point is understand you may not get 200mbps from any site, any location. You may also get small speeds for individual files but if you download multiple files, you may get close to 200mbps in total.

I'm fully aware of how internet ISP work. I had been caped by my ISP for over 7 days to 45Mbps without any traffic policy in place. I do live in London and they offer 350Mbps on my line so dont understand why would I receive 25% of my promise speed. Especial after recent changes in law regarding advertise speed. I'm looking for a way to proof to them that as after 3 calls I had been told there is nothing wrong.

3 hours ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

check out samknows and their whitebox. they offered a kit that checks your isp is providing the speeds they quoted you. i used them several years ago for a few years and they worked really well. I managed to claim compensation from my ISP due to consistantly being unser speed.

https://samknows.com/technology/agents/samknows-whitebox

Thank you so much for this info I will hit up this company and see what I can do.