What exactly happens if someone gets bad PSU?

Exaco

So i've noticed in PSU "Community" it's bit similar to audiophile community just except that in audiophile community if someone asks for $100 headphones there must be a guy who says add extra $250 for X model and another $150 for an AMP/DAC, so that it's same with PSU's someone asks for $70 PSU and everyone is like add extra $20-30 to get that or that, because that one for extra $30 is decent af, but  then someone asks for $100 PSU then again same happens like add 30-50 more even the previous for $100 was "decent af"..

Well ofcourse i understand why that happens when there's superior quality product for a bit extra price, but the question is what if someone actually gets a PSU for the $70 and ignores the advice to add these 20-30$  ? 

Does it mean that if he gets the $70 PSU he has like 99% chances of burning his house down or destroying all components during PSU failure? Or he basically just saves the $30~ and the PSU works fine without issues for many years ?

Bad PSU's / PSU's to avoid according to various Forums: 
MasterWatt, Corsair CX, Pure Power 11, FSP Raider II or literally any PSU that uses outdated design.

4 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Well ofcourse i understand why that happens when there's superior quality product for a bit extra price, but the question is what if someone actually gets a PSU for the $70 and ignores the advice to add these 20-30$  ? 

depends entirely on what 70$ PSU it is. 

you can get pretty good units for as low as 50$. a lot of people recommend bad PSUs because of brand or rating. 

5 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Pure Power 11

well, those people certainly dont know what they are talking about, unless they specifically mean the sub 400w units. 

6 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Corsair CX

depends which CX. greylabel cx450 (2017) or higher is good. 

7 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Does it mean that if he gets the $70 PSU he has like 99% chances of burning his house down or destroying all components during PSU failure?

thats a bad PSU model then, because if you are paying for a PSU, you want it to have the neccesary protections for your system. 

tier list according to quality, and so on. 

it depends. I've had PSU's blow up and the rest of the machine be fine, but I've also had some blow up and kill motherboards, cpu's, ram and gpu's. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

These tier lists becomes nonsense sometimes when you start comparing A/B or in future things/reviews changes and then the PSU's switch places in updated tier lists.
E.g. some ppl might write bad reviews about X psu and it gets put into low tier, later turns out that PSU was pretty decent and gets in better place or the opposite :D

1 minute ago, Exaco said:

These tier lists becomes nonsense sometimes when you start comparing A/B or in future things/reviews changes and then the PSU's switch places in updated tier lists.

this list is being updated according to changes and discoveries about the PSUs. 

they are very good guidelines. and why would they be nonsense if they change due to new info being brought to light?

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

this list is being updated according to changes and discoveries about the PSUs. 

they are very good guidelines. and why would they be nonsense if they change due to new info being brought to light?

Well, indeed these lists are great reference between good/bad, but sometimes there can be mistakes such as not fair comparisons etc for example there might be PSU that has great efficiency, great protections, but loud af fan and lack of cables, then it probs would drop few tiers below, but what if the person is exactly looking for cheaper/efficient and secure PSU and the cables fits him perfectly + he don't mind the noise? Then the person doesn't get it, because it was in lower tier even it would've been perfect for him and instead overpays.. 

Unless it doesn't work that way.

1 hour ago, Exaco said:

with PSU's someone asks for $70 PSU and everyone is like add extra $20-30 to get that or that, because that one for extra $30 is decent af, but  then someone asks for $100 PSU then again same happens like add 30-50 more even the previous for $100 was "decent af"..

I don't really see that, can you quote or link any examples or topics?

6 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

There's alot, you just need to look especially in budget topics, i see it quite often ( Discord/Reddit ).
It happens with almost every pc component. 

There's even cases when someone asks A or B product is better, but someone says "get C or D" :D 

4 minutes ago, Exaco said:

for example there might be PSU that has great efficiency, great protections, but loud af fan and lack of cables, then it probs would drop few tiers below,

That's not how it works. The main deciding factor is the performance of the PSU. The regulation and ripple mainly, as that's the minimum covered by the reviews. No one cares about the efficiency. 

:)

Just now, Exaco said:

There's alot, you just need to look especially in budget topics, i see it quite often ( Discord/Reddit ).
It happens with almost every pc component.

I will highlight a part of Orion's post that you might have missed. 

6 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

:)

15 minutes ago, Exaco said:

comparisons etc for example there might be PSU that has great efficiency, great protections, but loud af fan and lack of cables, then it probs would drop few tiers below, but what if the person is exactly looking for cheaper/efficient and secure PSU and the cables fits him perfectly + he don't mind the noise? Then the person doesn't get it, because it was in lower tier even it would've been perfect for him and instead overpays.. 

Unless it doesn't work that way.

the list does not care about fan noise, just if the fan is of the type that is very shortlived. it also does not care about cables since pretty much every PSU provide the basics of what is needed. 

honestly there isnt much point getting top tier above Tier A/A+. since the PSUs are allready really good. 

16 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the list does not care about fan noise, just if the fan is of the type that is very shortlived. it also does not care about cables since pretty much every PSU provide the basics of what is needed. 

honestly there isnt much point getting top tier above Tier A/A+. since the PSUs are allready really good. 

Okay, that makes sense then. Thanks for info :)

4 hours ago, Exaco said:

Bad PSU's / PSU's to avoid according to various Forums: 
MasterWatt, Corsair CX, Pure Power 11, FSP Raider II or literally any PSU that uses outdated design.

That's totally false.

Thos are all pretty OK to decent PSU. Nothing wrong with them for the Price...

There are worse PSU such as the Seasonic S12II-Bronze with up to 620W that are to avoided. Those? Not so much!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Stefan has a great point bout the S12 but still ?? Imho when you're analyzing the budget segment, it's always a choice between:

1) 100% ticking time bombs, no matter the fan paint, RGB backlight or absence thereof

2) old (up to early 2000s) "meh" design + Ching Chong Cheng Chang Chengx Changx Chenxing Chhsi crapacitors ?

3) premium brand + 2005 design, outdated schematic, some missing goodies + good Jap caps (it's the S12II and various derivatives ?, not touching the S12III here because that's very likely a complete turd -- outsourced to Xi Jing Ping knows what factory (RSY or XHY, I forgot ..?), completely unknown internal layout etc. and the first reports are anything but promising)
4) modern design, DC-DC all over, over9000 different protections + Capxon and maybe Teapo and mayyybe one lonely Jap bulk cap in the primary

Being 1 millimeter closer to the expert status (the whole journey is a thousand miles, I'm not even on the 2nd one yet ?) than 2 yrs ago, I now get the idea that caps AREN'T everything. By a huge margin.

But even the cheapskate (ultra-budget) Russian enthusiasts, squeezing out every last bang out of every kopeika -- and sorry 99 Plus Unobtainium Corsair fanatics, I've got every reason available to believe their words -- suggest that if you DO buy that "grey bucket" FSP PNR for 2-2.5K RUB (that's around 30 Euros, higher than the CX on sale&rebate in Murica ?) everyone recommends, you'll very likely want to recap all those Crapxons in 3-5 years. That can be a major nuisance. And that you ought to stay away from the maximum load -- who knows how the electronics are going to sustain that powaaaar and what the protections will say about that. Many units stop at SCP, OVP and UVP. Is all. Want more - pay more ? /rant

Sorry for interrupting, haven't really written anything here before ? Consider this an introduction.

(Focus+ Gold 550W user, Sep 2017 batch, thinking the only difference from newer revisions is Nippon Chemi instead of Hitachi as a bulk cap and a different OCP configuration. I'm also lazy, will add rig specs later ?)

10 hours ago, Exaco said:

Corsair CX or literally any PSU that uses outdated design.

Corsair CX has an outdated design?  :(

Oh wait.. OP is trolling us.  ;)

1 hour ago, raven_rampkin said:

4) modern design, DC-DC all over, over9000 different protections + Capxon and maybe Teapo and mayyybe one lonely Jap bulk cap in the primary

no...

For example the System Power 9 has a couple of Jap Caps in the 5VSB Circuit. But you'd want to get the rest in order anyway. And its not necessarily important either.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 6/7/2019 at 10:46 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Corsair CX has an outdated design?  :(

Oh wait.. OP is trolling us.  ;)

Haha no, i didn't mean that :D