Drives fail extended test in GSmartControl but not really Need help

Magnetar_Byte

Alrit so I tried to run the extended test in this tool. But it only reaches 10% of the test and then says "<Manually Aborted>". Meaning it thinks I pressed the abort button, which i didn't do.

The drives have passed every other test I've thrown at them but for some reason GSC(GSmartControl) won't even finish its test. Would love some help to fix this.

I've attached the error files it output. For both drives I tested. 

Also if u guys don't mind could u give me some good HDD testing software u like to use before u permanently install the drive until its death. I'm getting mixed results from online searching would love to see what ya'll use.

8tb elements drive V4.txt

8tb elements drive V3.txt

edit 1:

If u look up GSC there are SOME VERY in depth discussion about I'm very lost with regards to it some mention bad sectors of a drive like in this one. That would be ideally what I want to find out if my 4 drives have any of. I've done the normal short smart test for them all but I need a good  tool that tests them extended. 

For instance I tried to use "h2testw_1.4" its a tool that writes to EVERY SECTOR of your drive and then trys to read it back to verify said sector is working. Said it works on all drives so I thought I was good. But then I tried it and for some reason there was about 500-600mb of data that couldn't be written to. It then mentioned this is normal if your drive is NTFS or Fat I think. Whatever it said my drives were initialized as that. So does that mean my drives are fine or is there really something wrong with them for this test. 

See this is my point every one I try theres always something that gives me the idea its a false positive or that the test just isn't thorough enough to warrant saying my new drives are good to go. 

other misc. posts I found about this:

- link 1

- link 2

If u want a response then YOU'D best Quote me so I can see it.

Shouldn't have to say this but the few ruin it for them all......

15 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Alrit so I tried to run the extended test in this tool. But it only reaches 10% of the test and then says "<Manually Aborted>". Meaning it thinks I pressed the abort button, which i didn't do.

The drives have passed every other test I've thrown at them but for some reason GSC(GSmartControl) won't even finish its test. Would love some help to fix this.

Never used any GUI-tool, I just use the console-tools directly. Could always install smartmontools (if not installed already) and see if the same thing happens:

sudo smartctl -t long /dev/yourdrivehere starts the long self-test and sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/yourdrivehere reads the drive's internal log -- just wait with this until the drive is done with the self-test or it may interrupt the test. When you start the self-test, it gives an approximate duration of how long it'll take to finish. As for the log; the top one is the newest result, ie num #1.

23 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Also if u guys don't mind could u give me some good HDD testing software u like to use before u permanently install the drive until its death.

Eh, I just use the SMART-tools I mentioned above, and sometimes do a read-test with ddrescue. Never bothered with a write-test.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Never used any GUI-tool, I just use the console-tools directly. Could always install smartmontools (if not installed already) and see if the same thing happens:

sudo smartctl -t long /dev/yourdrivehere starts the long self-test and sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/yourdrivehere reads the drive's internal log -- just wait with this until the drive is done with the self-test or it may interrupt the test. When you start the self-test, it gives an approximate duration of how long it'll take to finish. As for the log; the top one is the newest result, ie num #1.

I hate to be that guy. But I have no clue what u just said 

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Eh, I just use the SMART-tools I mentioned above, and sometimes do a read-test with ddrescue. Never bothered with a write-test.

Can u be a bit more specific with what your saying. I'm pretty new to HDD testing tools. For instance is reading a drive better than writing to it. Please elaborate if u don't mind of course.

2 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

For instance is reading a drive better than writing to it. Please elaborate if u don't mind of course.

It's not better, per se; it's just simply that a read-test already reveals any errors in the vast, vast, vast majority of cases and a read-write-read-test usually doesn't add anything useful to it and takes longer.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It's not better, per se; it's just simply that a read-test already reveals any errors in the vast, vast, vast majority of cases and a read-write-read-test usually doesn't add anything useful to it and takes longer.

ohh alrit than sick. 

What do u recommend for a read only test that does the whole 8tb drive??

1 minute ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

What do u recommend for a read only test that does the whole 8tb drive??

I just noticed that h2testw is a Windows-app. You're doing this under Windows? In that case I can't help you; I always use Linux for all the low-level stuff and I don't know of any Windows-tools for these things.

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I just noticed that h2testw is a Windows-app. You're doing this under Windows? In that case I can't help you; I always use Linux for all the low-level stuff and I don't know of any Windows-tools for these things.

thats my issue everyone uses linux i don't.

Do u know of anyone on this forum that could help me. If so could u DM to get answers. Or do u have places on online where u know they would know what are some good programs. 

I came here as my last hope after being lost with my own research into this.