i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15 = 100c!!! What am I doing wrong?

Can't keep this i9 at bay when under load. Originally was using cooler master hyper 212 but cpu would hit 100c instantly when I ran Cinebench. I thought upgrading to Noctuas monster NH-D15 cooler would solve the problem but it still instantly reaches 100c when I run Cinebench.

I reapplied thermal paste 4 times, trying both of the "methods" (aka. 1 drop in middle & manual spread)

Saw no difference between the different thermal paste applications. The second I start cinebench temps sky rocket to 100c in under 2 seconds. 

This isn't even with any overclocking. It turbo boost to around 4.7-4.9ghz when performing light task. When running cinebench it drops down to about 4.35ghz. So at least it still turbos above base clock but its still instantly hitting 100c when hitting it hard which doesn't seem right.

Specs:

CPU: i9 9900k (Stock clock speeds)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming Wifi

Ram: 16gb DDR4 Corsair 3000mhz ram

GPU: RTX 2080

Dose anyone have any suggestions as to whats going on? Is this is normal or did I just lose the silicone lottery? 

Attached HWMonitor screenshot of Min and Max after running Cinebench. Cinebench score is: 4529

Capture.PNG.9646539317a2f212efc8db0c5f71eda8.PNG

image0.jpg.4e48a55b0eab97f5b73680bde55ed00c.jpg

the voltage is insanely high, all core boost seems to be 4.9GHz so there is some OC going on. 

My guess is that the motherboard is automatically trying to OC the CPU. 

Disable it in BIOS. Usually its called MultiCore Enhancement (MCE) 

Don't know what Gigabyte call it, check for "multicore enhancement" or similar and make sure it is disabled. It could be trying to overclock your CPU for you.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

the voltage is insanely high, all core boost seems to be 4.9GHz so there is some OC going on. 

My guess is that the motherboard is automatically trying to OC the CPU. 

Disable it in BIOS. Usually its called MultiCore Enhancement (MCE) 

Wow instantly found what was going on. Gigabytes EasyTune app had "CPU vCore Loadline Calibration" set to high for some reason. "multicore enhancement" was set to auto but I also manually disabled that. Now it only hits 90c. Also Cinebench score improved from 4529 to 4814.

Thanks for pointing out the high voltages that I overlooked @WereCat @porina

24 minutes ago, leondood said:

Wow instantly found what was going on. Gigabytes EasyTune app had "CPU vCore Loadline Calibration" set to high for some reason. "multicore enhancement" was set to auto but I also manually disabled that. Now it only hits 90c. Also Cinebench score improved from 4529 to 4814.

vCore LLC can stay on High, that's toally fine.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

47 minutes ago, leondood said:

90's still a little high for 4.7 tho

8 hours ago, leondood said:

Your tempsa re still quite high. MCE isn't only thing, there's bit of chipset issue too. So better check that voltages are actually low now to eliminate that issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm not an expert and maybe i am wrong, but well, have you tried to set vCore limit to... let's say 1.2v? i have seen guys run 5ghz on all cores on less voltage, so stock should not be a problem. I say 1.2 cuz mine is also stock and it never goes beyond 1.288 in Cinebench... temps are 75C rarely hitting 80C, with h115 pro tho.

P.S i have MSI z370 gaming pro carbon, have not touched voltage settings tho

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Your tempsa re still quite high. MCE isn't only thing, there's bit of chipset issue too. So better check that voltages are actually low now to eliminate that issue.

4 hours ago, h3xlay said:

I'm not an expert and maybe i am wrong, but well, have you tried to set vCore limit to... let's say 1.2v? i have seen guys run 5ghz on all cores on less voltage, so stock should not be a problem. I say 1.2 cuz mine is also stock and it never goes beyond 1.288 in Cinebench... temps are 75C rarely hitting 80C, with h115 pro tho.

P.S i have MSI z370 gaming pro carbon, have not touched voltage settings tho

These are my voltage and frequency settings:

image.thumb.png.f9b0f752a8ca4a0c5f749c3f307d5693.png

Here are Mins and Max after cinebench run:

image.png.eef0a020616333e5c5c0755d8f78cdd3.png

CPU vCore Loadline Calibration actually raised voltage settings significantly and when left in "auto," it sets it to high automatically. Multicore enhancement also raises voltage settings and clock speeds. The thing is that you can run all cores at "50" without changing any voltage settings so basically my motherboard's features kinda suck for the i9 since Multicore enhancement just puts all core at 50 with un-needed voltage adjustments. 

Do the screenshots look normal? Im just happy my cpu is not instantly reaching 100c now.

1 hour ago, leondood said:

CPU vCore Loadline Calibration actually raised voltage settings significantly and when left in "auto," it sets it to high automatically. Multicore enhancement also raises voltage settings and clock speeds. The thing is that you can run all cores at "50" without changing any voltage settings so basically my motherboard's features kinda suck for the i9 since Multicore enhancement just puts all core at 50 with un-needed voltage adjustments. 

Do the screenshots look normal? Im just happy my cpu is not instantly reaching 100c now.

Actually HWInfo is better for sensors then HWMonitor... well, still high temps, 40 on idle is not that good... I have bad airflow in my case(meaning 1 intake fan and 3 exhaust) for now and even with that i sit at 33C idle, 60C gaming... Really can't think of possible solution as i'm not very competent, but i can say that those temps are something you should fix if you run it on stock.

Take auto-voltage off. Most motherboards push something like 0.1V too much with that on. Try 1.3V, and if stable, drop 0.1V till it becomes unstable. Then revert to lowest stable setting. If 1.3V is not enough, raise voltage with the same method in small increments till it becomes stable. 

11 hours ago, leondood said:

Your max voltage is still way over what it should be. Set it to manual or adaptive from BIOS to solve this. Same issue has been present with Intel CPUs since Devils Canyon, but for some reason influencers don't talk about it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 6/4/2019 at 2:01 AM, thinwalrus said:

Take auto-voltage off. Most motherboards push something like 0.1V too much with that on. Try 1.3V, and if stable, drop 0.1V till it becomes unstable. Then revert to lowest stable setting. If 1.3V is not enough, raise voltage with the same method in small increments till it becomes stable. 

23 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Your max voltage is still way over what it should be. Set it to manual or adaptive from BIOS to solve this. Same issue has been present with Intel CPUs since Devils Canyon, but for some reason influencers don't talk about it.

Thanks @h3xlay @thinwalrus @LogicalDrm

You guys hit the nail right on the head. After some research on overclocking, I was able to run 1.19v on stock clock speeds. Temps at this voltage were what I was expecting from this NH-D15. 25-30c idle, 60c under load. Probably could have gone lower but decided to overclock.

I achieved an overclock of 4.9ghz with 1.275v. Still testing stability but Cinebench ran successfully with score of 5007 and Prime95 (Smallets FFTs) dose not crash after 5 min. Max temp was around 80c.

Some people are getting way better overclock's though. Maybe they just lucky with good chips.

image.png.53057e25841a2b768a3b737ca4cbeb24.png

This dude probably has the best i9 in the world cause I cant even get close to his voltages at those clock speeds.

I tried 5ghz on all cores but I need around 1.35v and temps easily reach 90c in Prime95 (smallest FFTs) I don't know how some people can do 5ghz on 1.2v - 1.25v. Either im yet again doing something wrong or its just how my particular i9 is.

My new settings:

image.thumb.png.fea028bd75acb0c9879f28cf5b3db620.pngimage.png.e25b3b83601bf57ea71e8e2013f2c326.png

Lmao its more like: "Look at this noob melt his 9900k"  @Christiaan21-03 cause it turns out the overclock I setup is not stable at all. Multiple Cinebench runs and cpu-z's build in bench tool doesn't crash my computer but Prime95 small FFTs instantly 100c crash. 

Not a lot of people have trouble overclocking there i9 cause they seem to be able to run 5ghz at 1.15-1.25v no problem.

Im new to overclocking and I do video editing and often use Linux in a VM for certain applications so I though the overkill horsepower would be nice.

This post belongs on another thread anyways. I'll probably make a new post somewhere else.

Also what is a shopowner...

Also  @Christiaan21-03 its definitely the motherboards default settings and not the CPU. No return to any "shopowner" necessary. I just gotta find the right OC config.

Also  @Christiaan21-03 its definitely the motherboards default settings and not the CPU. No return to any "shopowner" necessary. I just gotta find the right OC config.

Ah i missed that fact.... well i'm wishing you all the best ... turns out these are they guys you need after all

Also what is a shopowner...

a show owner is someone who owns a shop ... preferably the one who sold you the cooler ..... and preferably someone who knows what he or she is doing .... I really thought you had a faulty installation .... you should make a new post in the right subforum ... or maybe even better just stop with the art of ocing ;)