Dual monitor setup with dedicated graphics and integrated graphics

steelo

Hi,

I have an old monitor that uses VGA input that I'm wanting to use as a second monitor for Windows tasks such as displaying the weather, viewing a Word document, etc. My graphics card (RX570) only has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI and 4 display ports but no VGA output. I looked in UEFI and it appears that I can only select either the dedicated  or integrated graphics (Ryzen 2400G) Not both. I've seen a few youtube videos where people have done this but I don't really understand how it works. Thanks 

In my bios, (ASRock H270), I do this same thing with my I3-7100 and 1050ti. What type of motherboard do you have?

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Just now, LukeTheCoder05 said:

In my bios, (ASRock H270), I do this same thing with my I3-7100 and 1050ti. What type of motherboard do you have?

I have a ASRock B450M Promentory...when you try playing a game that requires your dedicated card, how does the system know to use the dedicated graphics and not the igpu?

Just now, steelo said:

I have a ASRock B450M Promentory...when you try playing a game that requires your dedicated card, how does the system know to use the dedicated graphics and not the igpu?

I'm not completely sure but if you use your 570 as your main display and keep the game on that monitor, It shouldn't interfere. If looked int task manager during a game and see my 1050ti is under a load and not my I-GPU.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

5 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

I'm not completely sure but if you use your 570 as your main display and keep the game on that monitor, It shouldn't interfere. If looked int task manager during a game and see my 1050ti is under a load and not my I-GPU.

Ah, okay thanks...I spent a few minutes on lunch looking through the UEFI and after some hunting it APPEARS I can only select either the dedicated card or the igpu, not both. I'll look again when I get home, I couldn't find an 'enable integrated graphics' setting. I have the second monitor connected, but it doesn't appear the igpu is active because Windows couldn't find my second monitor at all. I could buy a DVI to VGA adapter, connect it to my RX 570 and I think that would work, but I'm cheap and don't want to spend $30 on it if there's a way to do this!

Look in the chipset tab of your bios (unless you're already there, Just saying what I did on my mobo) and scroll down. For my its said something like "use integrated graphics alongside" Or something like that.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

4 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Look in the chipset tab of your bios (unless you're already there, Just saying what I did on my mobo) and scroll down. For my its said something like "use integrated graphics alongside" Or something like that.

Okay, I'll look at it again when I get home. It was buried pretty deep in the settings where it gave me the option to select 'integrated graphics' or 'dedicated graphics' but not both.

Thanks for your help!

Just now, steelo said:

Okay, I'll look at it again when I get home. Thanks for your help! It was buried pretty deep in the settings where it gave me the option to select 'integrated graphics' or 'dedicated graphics' 

No problem. If you have any questions about it just DM me. I'll checks my LTT stuff back in a few hours.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Just now, LukeTheCoder05 said:

No problem. If you have any questions about it just DM me. I'll checks my LTT stuff back in a few hours.

I'm thinking I'm probably out of luck, this is a pretty low-end MB with very limited options...

2 minutes ago, Sychic said:

You could also always buy an adapter to VGA...

Right, that is my second option but I'm trying to save myself $30 or so if there's a way to do this. I think I've tried a Displayport or HDMI to VGA adapter before and it didn't work, but I've never used a DVI to VGA adapter.

Just now, steelo said:

I'm thinking I'm probably out of luck, this is a pretty low-end MB with very limited options...

I wouldn't luck out at this point. It might not be a lost cause. My mobo was around 80ish dollars and our boards might be similar (probably not, but I digress) so we can still look into this.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

~Air Cooling Advocate~

20 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

I wouldn't luck out at this point. It might not be a lost cause. My mobo was around 80ish dollars and our boards might be similar (probably not, but I digress) so we can still look into this.

I just looked on the ASRock forums and it says to go to Advanced->Chipset configuration->igpu Multimonitor.<enable>

I don't even seem to have this setting? I definitely have integrated graphics with a Ryzen 5 2400G. I'll look again but worse comes to worse, I'll order an adapter for $4 on amazon...LOL

2 minutes ago, Votivee said:

2 minutes ago, Votivee said:

That's cheaper than I thought. We went to Best Buy a few weeks ago (where you seem to get ripped off for everything) and it was something like $28! I think it was the full cable though with VGA on one end and DVI on the other.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

That's cheaper than I thought. We went to Best Buy a few weeks ago (where you seem to get ripped off for everything) and it was something like $28 

Best Buy will price match if you can find the identical product online, but if you have prime you might as well just get it off amazon.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/customer-service/price-match-guarantee/pcmcat290300050002.c?id=pcmcat290300050002

~Air Cooling Advocate~

8 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Only problem with a lot of those is that they have those 4 pins around the flat wide pin and a LOT of new hardware doesn't have them.  I have tried cutting those pins or pulling them out and it makes the adapter not work.  

https://www.amazon.com/Moread-DisplayPort-Gold-Plated-Compatible-Projector/dp/B075M661NC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=displayport+to+vga&amp;qid=1559154111&amp;s=electronics&amp;sr=1-1-spell-spons&amp;psc=1

Get this instead and use the display port 

2 minutes ago, Djinnux said:

Only problem with a lot of those is that they have those 4 pins around the flat wide pin and a LOT of new hardware doesn't have them.  I have tried cutting those pins or pulling them out and it makes the adapter not work.  

https://www.amazon.com/Moread-DisplayPort-Gold-Plated-Compatible-Projector/dp/B075M661NC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=displayport+to+vga&amp;qid=1559154111&amp;s=electronics&amp;sr=1-1-spell-spons&amp;psc=1

Get this instead and use the display port 

I thought that you can't use a 'digital' plug like HDMI or DVI with VGA? I bought a VGA to HDMI adapter for my Mac a few months ago and got nothing on the display

Just now, steelo said:

I thought that you can't use a 'digital' plug with VGA?

Well that USB VGA adapter I linked would solve that issue if it is a concern.  It basically has its own graphics adapter built into it and it just installs it via usb

Just now, Djinnux said:

Well that USB VGA adapter I linked would solve that issue if it is a concern.  It basically has its own graphics adapter built into it and it just installs it via usb

Gotcha, thanks!

But I don't think there is any reason a display port to VGA won't work we have had to use them at the office because some of our new monitors didn't come with VGA and we had that port as onboard output on our computers. 

there would be benefits to having all monitors driven by the same video card though... outputting 3d or rendered content to them will use the GPU there instead of on another device

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

I thought that you can't use a 'digital' plug with VGA?

The DP to VGA adapter @Djinnux linked would work fine. I'm using one currently, and can send a picture as proof if you want. I have no issues with it. We use them religiously where I work.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

37 minutes ago, Votivee said:

The DP to VGA adapter @Djinnux linked would work fine. I'm using one currently, and can send a picture as proof if you want. I have no issues with it. We use them religiously where I work.

figured it would but I wanted to give another workable option if I could