Network storage for home and cloud access

rf97a

Hi :)

I'm looking to scrap dropbox/onedrive/... and also the WD myCloud I have running, and finding a solution where I can build an affordable alternative where I can run eighter nextCloud or ownCloud to have a backup of "everything" in the Documents-folders (documents, photos, movies, music, ...) and also use as a backup for the Apple-devices that are in use in our home.

So in short, I am looking for a system with

• at least 4 disk bays (for redundancy)
  • Storage "only" - i.e. no heavy load or working on files directly over the network, so I imagine the hardware spec to be quite low
  • a PSU / fan solution that does not sound like a jet engine, as I don't have a dedicated room that can be sound proofed
    • the less noise the better

What it will be used for

• Simple backup of files and content from phones and computers, including time machine
  • stream movies to TV/laptops

What it will not be used for

• editing photos/videos directly on the server

Operating system is not important. 

I have only begun to scratch the surface of all the options that are available for this use. So I thought "why not ask the community at LTT"? Go straight to the epicenter of the knowledge. :)

What would be the best option here? Something like a prebuilt system like Synology or Qsnap? I've never used any of their solutions before and have no idea about the quality of the products.

Or to build something from scratch like a miniITX-system? I have built quite a few systems, so this would be no issue. The challenge would be to select the appropriate hardware for this solution.

So....anyone wanna share from their bottomless well of knowledge here?

I aware of a lot of home and small business that all use Synology and the Cloud Station feature seems to work very well. The issue is you lose 3rd party interrogations and you are now a NAS admin along with a hefty upfront cost. You might also want to look at doing something like liking pCloud or Sync to a BUFFALO or Drobo (must cheaper than many of the others).

Synology do units that meet your needs. the "j" at the end of the model number indicates the budget/low power version. Synology's DSM software the the NAS runs is extremely intuitive and easy to use, and I can say that  from experience. This particular unit should meet the needs your looking for, and through DSM you can control the fan speed to quieten the unit down.

Edited by LunaP0n3
Spelling mistake of "your".