I am upgrading my current PC to an Intel build, but don't know which CPU to use

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Careful, the BOard _ONLY_ supports 65W TDP Parts the way it is right now.

And there is a BIOS Update available. You might want to download GPU-Z first and look what Version your Bios is. The latest one is from October 2018 - wich means that it should support 2000 series. So the Ryzen 7/2700 would be possible.

What I'd do:
Get a 1TB Crucial P1 and put it into the NVMe SSD Slot (right next to the WiFi Card).

GPU:
Is the 570 you have right now a bit annoying or why do you want to replace it?

And there is the Question of the PSU and the Connectors or the Spec of the PSU...

Can you make a pic of the Label of the PSU and upload it here?

That PSU isn't going to cut it. 460W, standard Dell PSU. I think it may have 80+ Bronze, it may not. First thing I would do if I were working with that upgrade path would be to change it out with something better.

This comes with Dell Update so I've got whatever updates they've sent out.

460W is enough for V56 with some Tweaking - question is if the PSU has the right connectors...

I got my V64 running with 400W and -23% and two powerstates down.

With the PSU you have to be careful.

Look at our PSU Tier List for example...

But honestly: I'd rather update the CPU now as its improbable that 7nm Ryzen will work in that system...

And the VEGA 56 and 64 will probably be replaced by RX 5700 and maybe other cards that are to be teasered/announced on the 10th or 11th...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so here's where I'm at in this journey to upgrade:

I have myself a Ryzen 5 2600. Still using the same system as before, and the 2600 has not yet been installed. My question is:

Would it be better to build an entire new computer (I did the math and it would cost around ~US$700, minus the CPU because I already have it, of course), or just upgrade the one I have? I've also decided that, price to performance wise, the RTX 2060 for only $350 is the way to go.

My big concern is that my locked memory speed (2400MHz) could possibly become a bottleneck. This is an X370 chipset board, so I'm not sure why it's limited to 2400MHz- X370 is capable of much better speeds, I think. But it also being X370 means that this system does have an enthusiast chipset, even if it is last gen.

I'm likely going to get a 1TB M.2 SSD as well. Here's the link to my pcpartpicker for the theoretical new system:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/athlon-power/saved/MQfmgs

3 hours ago, moonlight-strider said:

Okay, so here's where I'm at in this journey to upgrade:

I have myself a Ryzen 5 2600. Still using the same system as before, and the 2600 has not yet been installed. My question is:

Would it be better to build an entire new computer (I did the math and it would cost around ~US$700, minus the CPU because I already have it, of course), or just upgrade the one I have? I've also decided that, price to performance wise, the RTX 2060 for only $350 is the way to go.

My big concern is that my locked memory speed (2400MHz) could possibly become a bottleneck. This is an X370 chipset board, so I'm not sure why it's limited to 2400MHz- X370 is capable of much better speeds, I think. But it also being X370 means that this system does have an enthusiast chipset, even if it is last gen.

I'm likely going to get a 1TB M.2 SSD as well. Here's the link to my pcpartpicker for the theoretical new system:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/athlon-power/saved/MQfmgs

Why are you so deadset with replacing the Dell? The PSU in it is probably better than that EVGA too.

The RX 5700 will probably launch with the SUPER cards, reducing RTX 2060 pricing.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Exactly.

You need at least a good quality Gold unit to get a PSU that's better than what's already inside..

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

31 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Exactly.

You need at least a good quality Gold unit to get a PSU that's better than what's already inside..

I'm somewhat surprised by this. It's also a 460W, and the official minimum requirements state that the RTX 2060 needs at least a 500W PSU. I am, however, aware that the RTX 2060 pulls 160W under load. With the Ryzen 5 2600 pulling only 65W, I probably could get away with it.

There aren't any visible ratings on that Dell PSU, as far as 80+ is concerned. For further information, it's a Dell AC460AM-01.

45 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Why are you so deadset with replacing the Dell? The PSU in it is probably better than that EVGA too.

The RX 5700 will probably launch with the SUPER cards, reducing RTX 2060 pricing.

I'm actually not specifically deadset on replacing it anymore. I was just thinking about that because I had a friend tell me "You won't put the 2600 in that, pls don't," and I wanted to make sure it would be a good idea, seeing as you guys showed support for continuing its use before.

It's funny, because when I first got it I was happy that it was an AM4 based system, I assumed I could upgrade in the future, and when I actually got that chance, I went to the total opposite of that. If I can get a good verification on that PSU, I will likely put in the 2600 tonight and slowly upgrade it as time passes. Anyways, this is my most recent upgrade path for this machine. To elaborate on it, this machine has two RAM slots, one with a 4GB stick and one with an 8GB stick. If I buy a good second 2400MHz 8GB stick, I can take out that 4GB and bring it up to 16GB.

Also, should I use one large SSD, or use a small SSD and a faster HDD? The same friend also told me that it would be better to use one large SSD rather than use a small one for boot and HDDs for games.

pcpartpicker upgrade: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/athlon-power/saved/XgQRkL