cpu bottleneck?

winkawak

Im still rocking a 5820k @ 4.2ghz and a MSI GTX 970 i built over 5 years ago. It still runs all the games max or near max at 60+fps 1080p. I plan to upgrade my gpu in the next year or two for possibly 3k or 4k gaming. I was wondering with current RTX 2080 or the TI version is my cpu bottlenecking for 3k or 4k? If i upgrade in a year or two with 21 or 22 series(assume thats what they call it) nvidia gpu how ,uch bottleneck will my cpu cause? upgrade necessary? 

Probably yes!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

26 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Probably yes!

I never get why people post 1 or 2 word answers, why even bother replying?

For majority people who goes on forum and asks question is because they want to learn and know why.

Replies like that dont help or for the people who come across this thead with same question in mind.

well i wouldnt suggest getting the 2080ti, since its overpriced. 

but at 4k you wont be limited by the CPU. i would suggest sticking to 1440p as the visual gain vs loss of FPS between 4k and 1440p makes 4k pretty much a gimmick

7 minutes ago, winkawak said:

I never get why people post 1 or 2 word answers, why even bother replying?

For majority people who goes on forum and asks question is because they want to learn and know why.

Replies like that dont help or for the people who come across this thead with same question in mind.

its not unusal for @Constantin to do that. its neither the first or last time

11 minutes ago, winkawak said:

well ill try to answer a bit more indept

what monitor are you aiming at? (or currently owns)

what sort of games are you playing? (AAA or say stuff like CS;GO, etc, etc)

total budget for this upgrade at this point in time?

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

well i wouldnt suggest getting the 2080ti, since its overpriced. 

but at 4k you wont be limited by the CPU. i would suggest sticking to 1440p as the visual gain vs loss of FPS between 4k and 1440p makes 4k pretty much a gimmick

i wish i that kind of cash to spare lol, i was just using it as an example since its the latest and greatest at the moment.

I was just worried in a couple of years if i do decide to upgrade my gpu i wont be bottle necked by my old cpu.

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080/intel-core-i7-5820k-3-30ghz/

came across this site with the gpu and cpu i was asking. Im having trouble interpreting the first graph stating "cpu impact on fps -24.8fps''

why is a 6 core cpu having negative impact ?

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

well ill try to answer a bit more indept

what monitor are you aiming at? (or currently owns)

what sort of games are you playing? (AAA or say stuff like CS;GO, etc, etc)

total budget for this upgrade at this point in time?

thanks

im happy with 1080p 60fps cap as of right now with my 24" monitor

I play all types and all games lol

If my cpu wont cause bottleneck im more likely to only upgrade gpu in the next couple years for a 1440p experience with ray tracing hopefully mature by then.

1 minute ago, winkawak said:

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080/intel-core-i7-5820k-3-30ghz/

came across this site with the gpu and cpu i was asking. Im having trouble interpreting the first graph stating "cpu impact on fps -24.8fps''

why is a 6 core cpu having negative impact ?

its another bottleneck calculator. in other words just fearmongering for people to upgrade. they are super innaccurate and are widely regarded as total bull. 

you will be more than fine with your 6 core CPU with the exception of like CS;GO where the CPU will allways be the limiting factor, since its CSGO. 

you will be totally fine for the comming future. i would upgrade the GPU next as the 970 with its 3,5GB of Vram and pretty good performance is starting to fall of in the newest titles at 1080p ultra. (not too surprising, but tweaking setting fixes it with little to no loss in graphical fidelity. ). 

when are you thinking of upgrading? (roughly)

as long as you dont feel like the performance is lacking there is no pressure or point to upgrading. 

3 minutes ago, winkawak said:

If my cpu wont cause bottleneck im more likely to only upgrade gpu in the next couple years for a 1440p experience with ray tracing hopefully mature by then.

that sounds like a good plan, though keep in mind that decent and major implementation of raytracing is probably 3+++ years away. the hardware adoption just isnt here yet. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its another bottleneck calculator. in other words just fearmongering for people to upgrade. they are super innaccurate and are widely regarded as total bull. 

you will be more than fine with your 6 core CPU with the exception of like CS;GO where the CPU will allways be the limiting factor, since its CSGO. 

you will be totally fine for the comming future. i would upgrade the GPU next as the 970 with its 3,5GB of Vram and pretty good performance is starting to fall of in the newest titles at 1080p ultra. (not too surprising, but tweaking setting fixes it with little to no loss in graphical fidelity. ). 

when are you thinking of upgrading? (roughly)

as long as you dont feel like the performance is lacking there is no pressure or point to upgrading. 

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

that sounds like a good plan, though keep in mind that decent and major implementation of raytracing is probably 3+++ years away. the hardware adoption just isnt here yet. 

Thanks, glad to know my cpu will still hold up in the future. Yea i was abit skeptical with the site information like the suggested 32gb of ram requirement.

Ill hold on to my build as long as i can lol i have grown attached to it, it has been with me through 5+ years with no hiccups or hardware failure.

Yea RT as of right now seems too early, not worth the price or the performance at the moment. BFV looks just as awesome without RT.