Ryzen 3000 is almost here!!! What are you planning to buy???

So Ryzen 3000 is quite literally just around the corner with CPUs expected to be on sale by either June or July. Listed below is the RUMORED Ryzen 3000 series lineup, so comment what CPU you would choose if you were building a new Ryzen 3000-based system and why. Im personally waiting for Ryzen 4000 so the 7nm process is refined and matured and because my R5 1600 build is still going strong and tearing most games apart.

Screenshot_20190524-235142.thumb.jpg.58d69735ba73c921c0ccca2a02a865b4.jpg

To summarize this table, it seems like even hardcore gamers could get away with a Ryzen 3 3300 and with some overclocking, achieve the ultimate 144 FPS with an appropriate graphics card, an unprecedented value that has never before been seen in the gaming community.

I would personally reach for the Ryzen 7 3700. With 12 Cores and 24 threads on tap, this beast will EASILY handle any games as well as any sort of multitasking and even some workstation tasking. This CPU should also easily demolish every daily task and even provide an optimal gaming + streaming experience. In comparison to the 3700X, some manual overclocking with a decent cooling solution should yield around 5.1-5.2 GHz clock speeds, pushing the absolute limits of what any game can dish out.

Ryzen 9 seems to only make sense to those who want a premium workstation experience for professional editing and or scientific work. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for any regular user, gamer, or even YouTuber to require 16 Cores and 32 threads to provide a pleasant and speedy computing experience.

When Ryzen 4000 rolls around, Ill take the equivilant of the R7 3700 (4700 likely), a nice X670 board, GTX 2180Ti (assuming Nvidia refreshes the 2000 series at some point), 32GB of 3200+MHz RAM, and a custom water loop featuring the Hardware Labs  Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 and a block for both CPU and GPU, and toss it into the open-air Thermaltake Core P3. Add in a 1TB NVME boot SSD, 2TB standard SATA SSD for games, and a 2-4TB 7200RPM HDD for backups and long term storage, and I think I would have myself one hell of a setup that would probably last a decade considering the issues facing FABs in trying to go smaller than 7nm.

So what do you guys think? Lets hear those build ideas!

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

so comment what CPU you would choose if you were building a new Ryzen 3000-based system and why.

xeon because speed over logic woohoo!

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Nothing yet until the high end is actually confirmed.

Well they have pretty much confirmed there is a 16 Core SKU with leaked bench testing results, but so far no promises on clock speeds or IPC improvements.

Current Build Thread:

Just now, WallacEngineering said:

Well they have pretty much confirmed there is a 16 Core SKU with leaked bench testing results, but so far no promises on clock speeds or IPC improvements.

Rumors from Twitter and YouTube don't constitute an official confirmation from AMD.

I'm patient and I'll wait until they reveal their plans.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

xeon because speed over logic woohoo!

Lol I said if you were building a Ryzen 3000 system LMAO. I forget didn't Linus do a Xeon gaming PC at one point and epically failed? I was actually super surprised just how bad it was lol

Current Build Thread:

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Rumors from Twitter and YouTube don't constitute an official confirmation from AMD.

100% true but its very compelling evidence. Guess you wont have to wait long lol!

Current Build Thread:

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

And besides this post is just for a bit of fun and "Lets assume the rumors are accurate, what would you build?" type senario-thingy lol

Current Build Thread:

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Gamers Nexus said that an AMD representative told them after the CES keynote that there would be a 16 core SKU. So right now the only facts about ryzen we know are that it has a 8c/16t sku, 16c/32t sku, supports pcie 4.0 and that the 8c sku at least matches the 9900k in cinebench.

Just now, _d0nut said:

Gamers Nexus said that an AMD representative told them after the CES keynote that there would be a 16 core SKU. So right now the only facts about ryzen we know are that it has a 8c/16t sku, 16c/32t sku, supports pcie 4.0 and that the 8c sku at least matches the 9900k in cinebench.

I saw that video and I totally forgot about that. Yea, I would say that can't really be a lie

Current Build Thread:

I'm on the fence about switching again, as I got my Intel system to use for Adobe, but I've since quit using Adobe's junk in favor of Hitfilm and Affinity Photo. Both of which are better optimized. And the lack of HT on the 9700K triggers the hell out of my OCD. 

If the info and rumors are true, then if I switch I'll be going for the 3700X. I made the mistake of going for a non-X Ryzen CPU with the 1700 because "you can OC to match the X version", only to find out my chip was horrible at overclocking, requiring quite a bit over 1.4V to hit 3.9Ghz. Not again. 

I might get a faster kit of RAM as well, due to RAM prices being as low as they are atm. I've got a close buddy who really wants my current CPU and mobo if I switch because his current system is old and I want to hook him up since he's a serious R6 Siege and Fortnite gamer and he has a 240hz TN monitor.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

2 minutes ago, Phentos said:

I'm on the fence about switching again...

To be honest switching for you sounds like a win-win-win. You can get a 16 Core SKU that would power all of your Adobe-alternative needs with swift computing power, throw in 32GB or RAM for your professional needs and then hook up your buddy with the 9700K system and everything should be golden I would think :) But yea not having HyperThreading (I assume you meant that with HT) is super bad for someone such as yourself looking to do content creation. You really need those extra threads.

Current Build Thread:

5 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

To be honest switching for you sounds like a win-win-win. You can get a 16 Core SKU that would power all of your Adobe-alternative needs with swift computing power, throw in 32GB or RAM for your professional needs and then hook up your buddy with the 9700K system and everything should be golden I would think :) But yea not having HyperThreading (I assume you meant that with HT) is super bad for someone such as yourself looking to do content creation. You really need those extra threads.

I get what you mean, however I don't do serious professional workloads with Hitfilm and Affinity Photo. I have them for my Youtube channel. The increased clock speeds (allegedly) with the 12c/24t 3700X would be of more benefit for me than the four extra cores and 8 threads. I do also have a high refresh rate monitor and I play many games which favor clock speeds and single thread performance more than huge thread counts.

And yes I meant hyperthreading with my mention of HT.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

2 minutes ago, Phentos said:

I get what you mean, however I don't do serious professional workloads with Hitfilm and Affinity Photo. I have them for my Youtube channel. The increased clock speeds (allegedly) with the 12c/24t 3700X would be of more benefit for me than the four extra cores and 8 threads. I do also have a high refresh rate monitor and I play many games which favor clock speeds and single thread performance more than huge thread counts.

And yes I meant hyperthreading with my mention of HT.

Weird, wasnt even aware that Intel made a non-HT chip in the higher end lineup these days. And yea man if you dont need the extra cores, Im sure the 3700X will clock slightly higher and at ~$200 less it represents a stunning value. I guess then you could probably do just fine with 16GB RAM too, no need for 32GB if the workload isn't too tough.

Current Build Thread:

1 hour ago, WallacEngineering said:

Weird, wasnt even aware that Intel made a non-HT chip in the higher end lineup these days. And yea man if you dont need the extra cores, Im sure the 3700X will clock slightly higher and at ~$200 less it represents a stunning value. I guess then you could probably do just fine with 16GB RAM too, no need for 32GB if the workload isn't too tough.

Yea the 9700K is 8c/8t. I was gonna spring for the 9900K but I really couldn't fit that into my budget. If I had gone with that, I'd be much less inclined to switch to Zen 2 tbqh, but oh well. 

I plan on going up to 32GB of RAM regardless of whether I switch or not, and if I do consider the switch, the memory controller in the Zen 2 chips would have to handle 4 DIMMs at more than 3200Mhz. 

6 hours ago, Phentos said:

Yea the 9700K is 8c/8t. I was gonna spring for the 9900K but I really couldn't fit that into my budget. If I had gone with that, I'd be much less inclined to switch to Zen 2 tbqh, but oh well. 

I plan on going up to 32GB of RAM regardless of whether I switch or not, and if I do consider the switch, the memory controller in the Zen 2 chips would have to handle 4 DIMMs at more than 3200Mhz. 

To be honest, even the original Zen could handle 4 DIMMs at 3200MHz, but Ryzen has always been dual channel, and will probably remain the same for Ryzen 3000. Only Threadripper is quad channel, so if you want the fastest performance for all of your RAM on standard Ryzen, then a 2x 16GB DIMM kit would be best.

Current Build Thread:

9 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

Lol I said if you were building a Ryzen 3000 system LMAO. I forget didn't Linus do a Xeon gaming PC at one point and epically failed? I was actually super surprised just how bad it was lol

yeah that sounds about right for him. they aren't hard to make

I am aiming for the 16c/32 thread beast. My only condition is it needs to be able to run all cores at 4.7ghz or higher. It will be on custom water so if boost blocks are there then I am sure it will be possible.

Now if it can't but the 12c/24t does then I will probably go that route. Either way I am excited to finally get this build underway... I've has a 2080ti sitting around since launch. First it was waiting for a waterblock, then it was waiting in me to do a 9900k build which was shelved in order to wait for Ryzen 3000.

I'll get to finally upgrade my gaming rig, and my wife will get a 8700k + dual 1080ti build (will probably scavenge one card for the teenagers machine)

Im going to wait for the 32c 64t 5.0Ghz ThreadRipper LMAO!!!

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Already bought a Radeon VII in March, and I just bought some Corsair Special Edition Contrast Ram (B-Die, 3466mhz, 2x16gb). I'm gonna use most of the stuff I've got already in my pc.

I think I'm going to get the 16 core chip (Probably the lower clocked one to save a bit of money) although it does depend on prices. Like, I'm not paying £700 for the 16 core if that's what they decide to do. £500, maybe 550 is as high as I'm going to go on the cpu. As for the board, I desperately want Gigabyte to release a x570 Designare board so I'll get that cause the designare boards look amazing. Otherwise, I'll probably get the MSI creation board cause that looks pretty good too.

I've been looking at puppies.  Maybe a maltese.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

30 minutes ago, nick name said:

I've been looking at puppies.  Maybe a maltese.  

Lol...???

Current Build Thread:

1 hour ago, MeatFeastMan said:

I think I'm going to get the 16 core chip (Probably the lower clocked one to save a bit of money) although it does depend on prices. Like, I'm not paying £700 for the 16 core if that's what they decide to do. £500...

Well supposively the leaked prices in the table are supposed to be FAIRLY accurate in $USD selling to US customers. No idea for other countries but I would be surprised if the sale price was more than $100 off compared to the listed prices. Because remember, we are getting 7nm Threadripper as well, eventually, and those are going to be the expensive beasts like the previous generations.

Current Build Thread:

2 hours ago, Oalei said:

I would buy the cheapest Ryzen 5 I could get tbh. 

Sounds like a decent gaming option if you stick a good cooler on it and OC the living hell out of it to get those speeds up to par. Are you a gamer?

Current Build Thread: