i need to know is my psu faulty or it motherboard faulty

mikeypony

guys i need your help i need to be sure this is psu causing the problem so this is what has been what happening for the last 3 days when ever i switch the pc off for about 2 to 3 hours then i switch it back on the lights in the led motherboard flash gpu lights flash fans in the cpu are spinning but the pc wont switch on then after seconds 40 of flashing the pc switch on then after 30 seconds it switch back off on its own i try to power it back on again lights in the led motherboard continue to flash again for about 10 seconds and finally it switch back on and works fine this only happens when i leave the pc off for a prolonged period of time sorry for bad english

Whenever you "turn your pc off" are you cutting power completely to your PC?

That certainly doesn't sound like a faulty PSU to me. Does you PSU supply enough wattage and do you have a CPU overclock?

5 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Whenever you "turn your pc off" are you cutting power completely to your PC?

i just it shut down through windows 

2 minutes ago, mikeypony said:

NinJake i just it shut down through windows 

Ok. Can you open up a Command Prompt or Powershell and run "shutdown /p" the next time you want to "shut down" and test if the same thing happens again after 2-3 hours?

6 minutes ago, Oryzaki said:

That certainly doesn't sound like a faulty PSU to me. Does you PSU supply enough wattage and do you have a CPU overclock?

Oryzaki 6600k and 1080 ti gaming x 16gb 1 ssd 1 hdd

Oryzaki 6600k and 1080 ti gaming x 16gb 1 ssd 1 hdd

Okay, what's your PSU though. Also if you have an unstable CPU overclock it can cause this to happen.

1 minute ago, Oryzaki said:

Okay, what's your PSU though. Also if you have an unstable CPU overclock it can cause this to happen.

no overclock psu itek desert 750w

Just now, mikeypony said:

I would try what NinJake is suggesting then.

25 minutes ago, mikeypony said:

guys i need your help i need to be sure this is psu causing the problem so this is what has been what happening for the last 3 days when ever i switch the pc off for about 2 to 3 hours then i switch it back on the lights in the led motherboard flash gpu lights flash fans in the cpu are spinning but the pc wont switch on then after seconds 40 of flashing the pc switch on then after 30 seconds it switch back off on its own i try to power it back on again lights in the led motherboard continue to flash again for about 10 seconds and finally it switch back on and works fine this only happens when i leave the pc off for a prolonged period of time sorry for bad english

There is a good chance that's the PSU, but it could be the MB.

Reasoning, what you describe sounds like the motherboard switching to the backup bios because of a failure condition. However if the PSU is dropping the power during this process, it likely starts it over again. That said, check the CMOS battery, since you said it happens after it's left off for a prolonged time.

The appropriate troubleshooting for this would be to swap the power supply with an equal wattage model and see if the problem persists, as power supply failures aren't usually that predictable, but "reboot cycles" is one of the trademark symptoms.

12 minutes ago, mikeypony said:

How are you running a GTX1080Ti with that power supply? According to the info I can find, that power supply only has a single PCIe connector. The GTX1080Ti requires two.
https://www.itekevo.com/en/product/alimentatore-desert-750/#

Regardless of what your issue is, that PSU should be replaced ASAP.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

How are you running a GTX1080Ti with that power supply? According to the info I can find, that power supply only has a single PCIe connector. The GTX1080Ti requires two.
https://www.itekevo.com/en/product/alimentatore-desert-750/#

Regardless of what your issue is, that PSU should be replaced ASAP.

molex cable 8 pin guys at the shop built the pc for me 

molex cable 8 pin guys at the shop built the pc for me 

Don't shop there again.

First priority is to replace that PSU. If you still have issues with the system booting after the PSU is repalced we can help then. I have a feeling that whatever issues you're having will resolve themselves with a decent PSU that is actually suitable for your system though.
In the mean time I would probably pull the 1080Ti out of the system and run integrated graphics from your CPU until the replacement PSU arrives.

If you like we can help suggest some units to replace it with. What country are you in? What is your budget for a new PSU? A decent quality 550w unit would be fine for an i5 6600k + 1080Ti.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

yesterday when i tried to switch it on the lights flashed for about 30 seconds then it switch off it and pc wouldn't switch on back again no lights no flashing nothing thought the pc was dead  had to put it directly at Outlet Socket for it to start flashing and eventually  switch back on and work fine

17 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Don't shop there again.

First priority is to replace that PSU. If you still have issues with the system booting after the PSU is repalced we can help then. I have a feeling that whatever issues you're having will resolve themselves with a decent PSU that is actually suitable for your system though.
In the mean time I would probably pull the 1080Ti out of the system and run integrated graphics from your CPU until the replacement PSU arrives.

If you like we can help suggest some units to replace it with. What country are you in? What is your budget for a new PSU? A decent quality 550w unit would be fine for an i5 6600k + 1080Ti.

CORSAIR RMX Series (2018), RM650x, 650 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply or Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W 80+ 256-Color RGB Fan ATX 12V 2.3 Kaby Lake Ready Power Supply

35 minutes ago, Kisai said:

There is a good chance that's the PSU, but it could be the MB.

Reasoning, what you describe sounds like the motherboard switching to the backup bios because of a failure condition. However if the PSU is dropping the power during this process, it likely starts it over again. That said, check the CMOS battery, since you said it happens after it's left off for a prolonged time.

The appropriate troubleshooting for this would be to swap the power supply with an equal wattage model and see if the problem persists, as power supply failures aren't usually that predictable, but "reboot cycles" is one of the trademark symptoms.

yesterday when i tried to switch it on the lights flashed for about 30 seconds then it switch off it and pc wouldn't switch on back again no lights no flashing nothing thought the pc was dead  had to put it directly at Outlet Socket for it to start flashing and eventually  switch back on and work fine

14 minutes ago, mikeypony said:

CORSAIR RMX Series (2018), RM650x, 650 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply or Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W 80+ 256-Color RGB Fan ATX 12V 2.3 Kaby Lake Ready Power Supply

The Corsair RMx is the much better PSU between those two. It would actually be a good choice for your system. I personally use a Corsair RMx with my GTX 1080Ti and i7 6700k

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The Corsair RMx is the much better PSU between those two. It would actually be a good choice for your system. I personally use a Corsair RMx with my GTX 1080Ti and i7 6700k

what about Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W 80+ 256-Color RGB Fan ATX 12V 2.3 Kaby Lake Ready Power Supply is it any good i like RGB will it be enough for 1080 ti 6600k

6 minutes ago, mikeypony said:

what about Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W 80+ 256-Color RGB Fan ATX 12V 2.3 Kaby Lake Ready Power Supply is it any good i like RGB will it be enough for 1080 ti 6600k

The Thermaltake Smart RGB 700w is not a good PSU. I believe it's a CWT GPK (don't quote me on that), which is just a rather unimpressive, cheap group regulated PSU that's used by a lot of PSU brands in their low end budget stuff. Adding a pretty RGB fan to it doesn't make it any better.
The Corsair RMx would be better in every possible way. It's not even a fair competition comparing the two. It's like lining up a Ferrari on a drag strip next to grandma's motorised scooter. Putting neon lights on Grandma's scooter doesn't make it go any faster.

If you want RGB, get an RGB lighting strip instead. It will look much better than an RGB PSU.
In most cases the PSU is better mounted fan down where there is often a vent to allow it to suck in air from the bottom of the case. This means that if you mount the PSU with fan facing down you won't ever see the RGB in the PSU.