Sata 6GBS Disabled? HELP!

SpinS

Help Im a noob and I made a build on pcpartpicker.com and it said The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6Gb/s ports are disabled.

What does this mean? In my part list Im using a 970 Pro from Samsung. Also a z390E from Asus I believe. Help!

It means exactly that. If you install something in the M.2 slot, you can't use two of the SATA ports.

EDIT: If you want a more technical explanation, the chipset has a number of ports peripherals can connect to. It's just that the M.2 slot and two SATA ports use the same chipset ports but they can't share it.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It means exactly that. If you install something in the M.2 slot, you can't use two of the SATA ports.

What are m.2? What are sata?? Is this important?? I will be using one hdd and sdd.

Just now, demonix00 said:

That only applies if you are using an M.2 SATA drive and not an NVME PCI-E drive.

Im a huge noob what does this mean? Im using a Samsung 970 Pro

2 minutes ago, SpinS said:

What are m.2? What are sata?? Is this important?? I will be using one hdd and sdd.

M.2 and SATA are storage drive interfaces. The Samsung 970 connects to the M.2 slot. The HDD will connect to the SATA. You can use both as long as you don't connect the HDD to a disabled SATA port (figure which ports are disabled from your motherboard's manual)

Just now, SpinS said:

Im a huge noob what does this mean? Im using a Samsung 970 Pro

Depending on the support for a specific M.2 slot it will either support SATA SSDs or NVME SSDs or both and a slot that supports SATA mode would share bandwidth with the SATA ports on the board and as such would have to disable one or more of those ports if an M.2 SSD that is of the SATA type in used.

Since the M.2 SSD you're planning on getting is an NVME unit the slot would not be put into SATA mode and as such all the SATA ports on the motherboard would be available.

Explaining it in very simplified English.

The SSD is plugged into the motherboard using a connector that's called M.2

A SSD that plugs in m.2 connectors can "talk" to the computer using one of two "languages" : one is SATA (like regular SSD drives or mechanical drives) and the other is NVME (a more modern and faster way)

Your SSD uses the more modern and faster way, the NVME "language"

The instructions tell you that if you decide to plug a SSD into that M.2 connector, and that SSD can only talk to the computer using SATA, then the chipset has to turn off a couple of SATA connectors (where you would plug normal SSD or mechanical drives)

Think of it like the chipset can't split its attention to so many different places at the same time, so it turns off two of the four or six SATA connectors on your motherboard.

In your case, as the SSD talks using NVME, nothing happens, all your SATA ports are usable, nothing gets disabled.