Mouse (gaming) for college.

Gigidy

Hello everyone. I know you all probably answer questions like this all the time but having a specific answer is always really nice. I am headed to college soon, just got a new gaming laptop, and I am looking for a mouse because, 1. it's easier to use a computer with and 2. I love to game. I am currently using a Finalmouse Tournament Edition mouse on my desktop and I very much enjoy using it. I could bring that, but I'm leaving my desktop at home and I kind of want to upgrade. I've been having a lot of issues with the scroll wheel. The main question I have, is if it is worth it to upgrade to a wireless mouse, especially in the college scene? I have been looking around and would love to get the Logitech G pro wireless mouse since it doesn't have any more latency than a wireless mouse and is very light (which I absolutely love) but is also very expensive. I also have recently been seeing the Model O mouse, mimicking the design of the new Finalmouse which I do enjoy. I'm just trying to get a sanity check here because right now I'm very tempted to go wireless but also not completely set on it. Please leave your opinions and recommendations on mice that would fit my style!

Don't go over the top on a mouse. Like, seriously...I like going overkill but only where there's actually going to be a proper difference (PSU's, cooler designs etc). Spending that kind of money on a mouse is crazy.

This is the mouse I've got. It's comfortable, it works, it's reliable, fast and solid feeling. And you can change the dpi. That's all you need.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4MvZxr/corsair-mouse-ch9000095na

Unless you're an ELITE GAMER™, most modern mice will work just fine for you. I have the Logitech G502 HERO mouse, and it has served me valiantly for many years. It has adjustable DPI, programmable buttons, and an unlockable scroll wheel.

If wireless is your thing, there is also a wireless option of the same mouse, with the Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED (tacky names, I know). 

If you find that one a littler bit too gamer-y. There's plenty of other more modest options on the logitech website. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Wireless is better for convenient. But seriously $150 for a mouse like that is such a rip off. 

If you want a good basic wireless mouse that is also good for gaming grab the G305. And if you need more button get the MX Master (it's laser sensor can track on any surface it's good if you don't Want to bring a mousepad it is also good enough for casual gaming) 

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Logitech's G502 or its little sibling the G402 are good budget choices. Hell, the G502 is wireless now even

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

Logitech G603, no LED or RGB that attracts attention, very sleek design with muted black-gray and very good ergonomic, battery life that literally last forever. Supports both Bluetooth and USB 

And most importantly, Lightspeed Technology that makes wireless latency almost neglible when gaming

And price is kinda acceptable: around $40 or $50

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

On 5/24/2019 at 5:23 AM, MeatFeastMan said:

Don't go over the top on a mouse. Like, seriously...I like going overkill but only where there's actually going to be a proper difference (PSU's, cooler designs etc). Spending that kind of money on a mouse is crazy.

This is the mouse I've got. It's comfortable, it works, it's reliable, fast and solid feeling. And you can change the dpi. That's all you need.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4MvZxr/corsair-mouse-ch9000095na

I'd argue this, I have a Carsair m95 and I couldn't game now without the side buttons, and even before I adjusted to them I used to hate having to bind so many buttons to the keyboard and found it tedious. This mouse has made gaming so much more enjoyable for me. Obviously if you can only afford one or the other I'd invest in the system first, but I think a good mouse is worth the investment. I personally wouldn't pay the money for wireless as OP wants but for other features a mouse can offer I feel like they're worth it.

Particularly in your case where you have been using a final mouse for years, I would be careful about getting something as heavy as a G502 as you will notice it. Wireless is great and it really will come down to you whether the price for the G Pro Wireless is worth it as it is undeniably expensive but it has no other really strong competitors in the lightweight wireless space. G703 maybe worth a look? Still, 106g is not particularly light

If you're still happy to go wired the Model O is probably the way to go. I have heard good things and it's fairly good value when compared to say the Final Mouse.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

For you I would go for the model o it takes design cues from a a couple of mice same shape as the fk2 and the ultralight aspects of the final mouse , has a great sensor and the scroll wheel doesn't suck and is just $50 making this mouse the best value.mouse this year. Going from a really light mouse to a usually heavy wireless mouse sucks to get used to. I rock both a model o and a g502. 

try out a g305, you can put a lithium AAA instead of an alkaline AA with a simple mod that's literally just stuffing foil so the battery makes contact and boom you got 81g.