How much of a improvement will I be seeing?

Pi31415

So currently I have a 2200g with a gtx 1050ti g1 graphics card. Now this card has been turning off and on (display signal) and doing some funky stuff and the stutter is bad, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the GPU, and not the CPU? GPU or not I would like to get rid of my 1050ti and pair it with my old FX 6300 and turn it into an entertainment center for my family or an encoding PC for myself to stream with. Today I bought a RX 580 8gb Gaming X from MSI on ebay thats brand new. I compared the graphics cards and came out with a 82% better performance in the RX 580 over the 1050ti. Would I be seeing a performance increase? Should I upgrade my CPU? If so, would a 1600 work? I'm also wondering if a 2x4 2400 mhz would work with 2x8 2400mhz same timings and everything, just curious of negative impacts.

-= Moved to Graphics Cards =-

Please be mindful of where you post.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

52 minutes ago, Pi31415 said:

Would I be seeing a performance increase? Should I upgrade my CPU? If so, would a 1600 work?

The RX 580 is in a different galaxy so the difference will be quite significant. The CPU will then be the bottleneck depending on the game you're playing, in which case a 1600 would indeed be a solid though you might want to get a more recent 2600 / 2600X or even wait for Ryzen 3rd gen.

23 hours ago, Parzivilian said:

Well if you upgrade at all then you will get a performance increase. It is most likely the GPU. If the graphics card is acting up in your pc, then it will most likely be universal unless it is a software issue. If you are going to be doing high graphics gaming, then you should increase but if it is just going to be watching movies or streaming then I wouldn't but it is up to you if you want to spend more money. I recommend the i5 6600k. It is good for its price. You didn't say the full name of your CPU so I don't know for sure what CPU you have. Your ram should have no problem. If you do upgrade, you will need to know how to use the BIOS menu so that you configure your upgrades.

I'm gonna completely void everything you said. Advice from a person who doesn't know what a 2200g by name like that shouldn't be giving out advice, and I'm gonna guess you own the i5 6600K, I'm no way in fucking hell switching to Intel, not only do I hate Intel but Zombieload and all these security flaws don't cut it for me, I also do not want to upgrade and change motherboards. I might go with a 1600 and call it quits.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, Parzivilian said:

Well if you upgrade at all then you will get a performance increase. It is most likely the GPU. If the graphics card is acting up in your pc, then it will most likely be universal unless it is a software issue. If you are going to be doing high graphics gaming, then you should increase but if it is just going to be watching movies or streaming then I wouldn't but it is up to you if you want to spend more money. I recommend the i5 6600k. It is good for its price. You didn't say the full name of your CPU so I don't know for sure what CPU you have. Your ram should have no problem. If you do upgrade, you will need to know how to use the BIOS menu so that you configure your upgrades.

Yeah no, with Zombieload and the other security generally affecting older Skylake/Kaby Lake CPU, this is awful advice.

As for OP, the RX580 is fine. 1080p 60fps shouldn't really be a problem at all. I have the same CPU as you (2200G) with a GTX1060 and I can get solid 60fps in games like FIFA/NBA on max settings. The extra VRAM on the RX580 is also nice to have.

As for RAM, get higher RAM speeds if possible as Ryzen likes that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

16 hours ago, BigRom said:

Yeah no, with Zombieload and the other security generally affecting older Skylake/Kaby Lake CPU, this is awful advice.

As for OP, the RX580 is fine. 1080p 60fps shouldn't really be a problem at all. I have the same CPU as you (2200G) with a GTX1060 and I can get solid 60fps in games like FIFA/NBA on max settings. The extra VRAM on the RX580 is also nice to have.

As for RAM, get higher RAM speeds if possible as Ryzen likes that.

I overclocked my ram up to 2800mhz? if that's fine. I also would like you to test a couple games for me if you can, beamng drive mainly...

30 minutes ago, Pi31415 said:

I overclocked my ram up to 2800mhz? if that's fine. I also would like you to test a couple games for me if you can, beamng drive mainly...

If you mean BeamNG.drive, I don't have that game bro.

But from what I could gather in my other games, Dota is running at like 120+fps on the highest settings, only dips below 100 in really intense team fights.

CS:GO is running about 150fps, also on auto:High

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

19 hours ago, BigRom said:

If you mean BeamNG.drive, I don't have that game bro.

But from what I could gather in my other games, Dota is running at like 120+fps on the highest settings, only dips below 100 in really intense team fights.

CS:GO is running about 150fps, also on auto:High

So its a stable system overall? 

7 hours ago, Pi31415 said:

So its a stable system overall? 

Yeah pretty much, my old singe-channel setup I clocked it from 2133 to 2866 and never had any issues

The new RAM I had gave me the usual XMP nonsense but that wasn't entirely unexpected, it wasn't on my motherboard's QVL after all.