What should i buy for basic and casual photography.

I want to buy something so i can take good looking pictures.I am planning to get a pixel 3a because my phone(s3 mini)is old and bad and the pixel has almost the best camera.I am also considering the Huawei p30 but im not sure i want to go with huawei at least for now.Is there a camera with better quality than the pixel for less than 400dollars?

It really depends on if you actually need a new phone. If you already own a decent phone, I don't think you should be bothered to buy a new one. There are some decent cameras at about half of the price of the phones you mentioned. Then again, if you do need a new phone, then I think the Pixel 3a is an excellent choice.

The short answer is yes, optics on mobile phones are quite limited, and so are the capabilities of the sensors which are quite smaller than most dedicated cameras. So in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, even a 10 year old camera can get better results than most modern phones. 

But, on the other hand, if you don't know what you are doing, it won't. Modern camera phones employ software to get better quality pictures than a normal camera, frankly even a professional camera won't be that much better than a smartphone if at all. If you are willing put in the time and learn how to use a camera and edit photos, you will certainly get better results. 

Finally, a phone is something you always come with you, a camera is something extra you have to carry, and most people just don't. So Its entirely dependent on you. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

8 hours ago, ManosMax13 said:

I want to buy something so i can take good looking pictures.I am planning to get a pixel 3a because my phone(s3 mini)is old and bad and the pixel has almost the best camera.I am also considering the Huawei p30 but im not sure i want to go with huawei at least for now.Is there a camera with better quality than the pixel for less than 400dollars?

There are actually some good pocket cameras on the market in that range.

And they do take great photos.

Check out the Sony CyberShots.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

15 hours ago, cc143 said:

The short answer is yes, optics on mobile phones are quite limited, and so are the capabilities of the sensors which are quite smaller than most dedicated cameras. So in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, even a 10 year old camera can get better results than most modern phones. 

But, on the other hand, if you don't know what you are doing, it won't. Modern camera phones employ software to get better quality pictures than a normal camera, frankly even a professional camera won't be that much better than a smartphone if at all. If you are willing put in the time and learn how to use a camera and edit photos, you will certainly get better results. 

Finally, a phone is something you always come with you, a camera is something extra you have to carry, and most people just don't. So Its entirely dependent on you. 

Ok thanks for your answer.Also are you greek?

Ok thanks for your answer.Also are you greek?

However did you come to that conclusion?

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

You might be able to get a Canon EOS M100 with the with 15-45mm Lens for just under a $400 USD cost:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1368608-REG/canon_eos_m100_mirrorless_digital.html

Or, if you don't mind manufacturer refurbished, a Canon EOS SL2 with the 18-55mm kit lens:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-eos-rebel-sl2-black-ef-s-18-55mm-f-4-5-6-kit

14 hours ago, cc143 said:

However did you come to that conclusion?

Your name in flickr reminds me of a greek name.Is anyone in your family greek.

4 hours ago, ThePointblank said:

You might be able to get a Canon EOS M100 with the with 15-45mm Lens for just under a $400 USD cost:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1368608-REG/canon_eos_m100_mirrorless_digital.html

Or, if you don't mind manufacturer refurbished, a Canon EOS SL2 with the 18-55mm kit lens:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-eos-rebel-sl2-black-ef-s-18-55mm-f-4-5-6-kit

Why not a dslr?

"Are you greek?"

* location Scotland *

Yes...yes he is. I hear there's also a HUGE Spanish community in Aberdeen :D :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

2 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

"Are you greek?"

* location Scotland *

A lot of greek people leave their country because of the economic crisis.

Your name in flickr reminds me of a greek name.Is anyone in your family greek.

Yes I am Greek, I forgot my flickr was linked and was wondering how you realised, I was even reviewing what I wrote to determine if something gave me away, and Greeks do have quite big communities around the world that is true. 

Back to the subject at hand, a DSLR will certainly provide better value, and an m100 is not something I would consider really, very outdated hardware and very dinky as a camera, not at all nice to shoot with. The issue is that a DSLR is considerably larger than an m100.

7 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Yes I am Greek, I forgot my flickr was linked and was wondering how you realised, I was even reviewing what I wrote to determine if something gave me away, and Greeks do have quite big communities around the world that is true. 

Back to the subject at hand, a DSLR will certainly provide better value, and an m100 is not something I would consider really, very outdated hardware and very dinky as a camera, not at all nice to shoot with. The issue is that a DSLR is considerably larger than an m100.

Thanks.Also I knew it I am greek too.Xd Thabks for answering

Edited by ManosMax13

6 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

"Are you greek?"

* location Scotland *

He is greek he admitted.Xd I knew it

TBH, I'd go with the Pixel 3a first and see if it meets your needs. If you find it's not enough, then start looking at "proper" camera. While a dedicated stand alone camera will always be better in terms of pure image quality, smartphones have been at the "good enough" level for most people for a while now.

What camera is right for you is a mix of objective and subjective. While there's always an objectively better  camera or lens out there, it's about finding what works for you and at what point you're satisfied with the photos you get. The point at which you're satisfied is going to vary highly from person to person.

So try to the Pixel 3a first. It may be all you need. If not, then reassess what your smartphone is lacking and how and to what degree you want to remedy that. It may be as simple as getting a compact camera like a Sony RX100, diving head first into full frame, or finding somewhere in the middle.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

13 hours ago, ManosMax13 said:

Why not a dslr?

A mirrorless camera would be easier to learn on, as it behaves more like your smartphone in terms of what-you-see-is-what-you-get on the screen. It's easier to see what changes you make to the various settings (shutter speed, aperature, ISO) affect your image.

As amazing as Smartphone cameras are like the P30 pro, the idea of a good quality camera hinges inherently off of size for all of it's major aspects. 

It simply uses software to fill in the gaps.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷