Ethernet extender from router (Downstairs) to Upstairs bedroom?

Hey!

Now this may seem like a silly question to ask but I am curious to find out if it is even possible. Can you extend your ethernet cables by simply plugging into a Ethernet jack from the wall into one jack upstairs? I assume they have to be on the same circuit? Is it even possible?

I am currently running 100 feet of cable around my house and is just inconvenient. I would appreciate any other solutions. Thanks

14 minutes ago, kdawwgg1221 said:

Now this may seem like a silly question to ask but I am curious to find out if it is even possible. Can you extend your ethernet cables by simply plugging into a Ethernet jack from the wall into one jack upstairs? I assume they have to be on the same circuit? Is it even possible?

It entirely depends on how they've been wired inside the wall. If the two wall-sockets are directly connected, then yes, and if they aren't, then no.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can buy an Ethernet-tester to check this with, they're not expensive devices. Here is an eBay-link to an example one -- you can probably find similar ones even in local stores.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It entirely depends on how they've been wired inside the wall. If the two wall-sockets are directly connected, then yes, and if they aren't, then no.

Essentially I could route my own cables tho. Got it.

1 minute ago, kdawwgg1221 said:

Essentially I could route my own cables tho. Got it.

I just edited my comment to add a link to an ethernet-tester. It's a cheap and quick way of testing whether it'd work or not.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

I just edited my comment to add a link to an ethernet-tester. It's a cheap and quick way of testing whether it'd work or not.

Shouldn't they work as long as they are wired directly?

3 minutes ago, kdawwgg1221 said:

Shouldn't they work as long as they are wired directly?

Yes, they should.