Help thermal paste dried on gpu pins

scoopscuz

I already tried to clean it wirh articlean and qtips it was bad paste half of it wasn t even solid after months of use only part that was is the outside bits on the pins

15577707071397079260298395906446.jpg

You could lay some alcohol on there and let it soak for a bit - or even use a toothbrush to get rid of it (of course don't use a toothbrush you intend to use in your mouth anymore :P )

Don't put too much pressure on it though. And don't touch the tootbrush on the chip.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Is it ok for articcleaner to go on it should i put some on the pins ?

Just now, Bogo Mogo said:

clean top and leave sides as they are now

Are the sides ok like that 

2 minutes ago, scoopscuz said:

Are the sides ok like that 

if it matters your GPU would be dead a long time ago

My gpu has be artifacting and acting weird I think it was because of heat 

Those are not pins, and it also doesn't matter if they get thermal paste on them because the thermal paste is non-conductive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Use alcohol and a toothbrush. Cleans up pretty well, safely. But shouldn’t matter that it’s there either. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

thanks for all responses i just cleaned the gpu die i have no paste so i but some liquid metal on it and now its working perfect getting no more problems with artifacting and dont have to underclock it anymore :D i stressed it for 1 hour with the kombustor and it maxed around 70c

• 2 years later...
On 5/13/2019 at 11:39 PM, minibois said:

You could lay some alcohol on there and let it soak for a bit - or even use a toothbrush to get rid of it (of course don't use a toothbrush you intend to use in your mouth anymore :P )

Don't put too much pressure on it though. And don't touch the tootbrush on the chip.

i dont have rubbing alcohol, and its not available near me. can i use whiskey?

3 hours ago, StatTrakDiamondSword said:

i dont have rubbing alcohol, and its not available near me. can i use whiskey?

Whiskey might work, but other than being a bit wasteful, it might not work great too. The reason alcohol works great, is because typically people use 70%+ alcohol, which means it evaporates quite quickly and leaves little to no residue.

Whiskey of course contains more than just alcohol and water, so might not clean up very well.

I'd not recommend using whiskey and would recommend looking for alcohol a bit more instead. Any drug store/pharmacy/chemist/etc. would carry alcohol, 70% and up would work well. You only need very little of it.

By the way, the thread you replied to is quite old, we prefer if people make new threads for their questions, instead of re-using older threads.

If you have any further questions about this, please make a new thread in the appropriate section (like Graphics Cards for GPU repasting questions).

To avoid any further replies to this topic:

-- Thread Locked --

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/