Help with graphics card selection

ernie mills

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a pc and am really hung up on which graphics card to choose. My two options are the gigabyte rtx 2060 gaming oc pro for $380, and the sapphire vega 64 nitro for $400. All the benchmark testing ive seen the two have gone virtually back and forth, but theoretically the 64 should perform better. I'd be building with the Ryzen 7 2700x. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  ~  Case: NZXT H510   ~  GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming OC   ~   RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance (3000 Mhz @ 15 CL)

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max   ~   PSU: Corsair CX 650M   ~   Cooling: Corsair ML120 Pro   ~   Storage: Adata 512 GB NVME SSD

If you have a free sync monitor, go Vega. If you use GPU video encoding, go 2060. The 2060 uses less power, but Vega should age better due to more and higher bandwidth memory. Radeon cards also do better in compute tasks.

I personally would get the 2060.

The support for RTX (even if lackluster) is a good value

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

If you have a free sync monitor, go Vega. If you use GPU video encoding, go 2060. The 2060 uses less power, but Vega should age better due to more and higher bandwidth memory. Radeon cards also do better in compute tasks.

Wow that was quick, I would be getting a freesync monitor. Thanks for the advice!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  ~  Case: NZXT H510   ~  GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming OC   ~   RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance (3000 Mhz @ 15 CL)

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max   ~   PSU: Corsair CX 650M   ~   Cooling: Corsair ML120 Pro   ~   Storage: Adata 512 GB NVME SSD

1 minute ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

I personally would get the 2060.

The support for RTX (even if lackluster) is a good value

But considering the frame drops when ray tracing is enabled for the 2080ti of all things, is there any point having features ray tracing and dlss for something like the 2060

RTX is good to have if you want to build a game in UE 4, since you need RTX hardware for the software side

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

13 minutes ago, ernie mills said:

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a pc and am really hung up on which graphics card to choose. My two options are the gigabyte rtx 2060 gaming oc pro for $380, and the sapphire vega 64 nitro for $400. All the benchmark testing ive seen the two have gone virtually back and forth, but theoretically the 64 should perform better. I'd be building with the Ryzen 7 2700x. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

That's a tough call with similar performance, on one side:

Ray tracing, Much lower power consumption (160w vs 295w? i think), Freesync support (on supported/quality freesync monitors)

vs

Serious compute advantage(if it helps you at all), full freesync support

If you like them both and can't decide/don't have a preference then pick by Price, Price, Price, looks, cooler performance or some other subjective difference.