4K Laptops Suck Help me!

Ok so I've got an MSI GS65VR 7RF Laptop which for of those who don't know is the 2017 model of MSI's slim range of laptops. 

The Specs are:

GTX 1060 6GB

i7-7700HQ

32GB DDR4

256GB SSD

2TB HDD

I've had this laptop for over a year now and have a love/hate relationship with it. I'm looking to change out to a different setup next year but for now I need help with some issues.

The major thing, which i've been trying to solve since day one but gave up on until now is the LAG.

Because this laptop has a 4K 60Hz Screen it is laggy. I mean just generally using windows is laggy. If i switch it down to even 1440p i notice a huge difference. 

I have tried many many things and have done hours of research on how to fix this but no luck.

I have nailed it down to being Nvidia Optimus (The diver used to switch between onboard graphic and dedicated graphics). Because of this, whenever i'm not in a game, or doing something where optimus things I don't need a dedicated GPU. Windows thinks it has to start using my onboard GPU to do everything.

I'm ok with this happening because I know that otherwise my computer would be on full ramp all the time but I would honestly rather just have a laptop that ran windows 10 smoothly. 

I understand that if i manage to get things working right that my battery will be crap but i'm ok with that because i'm plugged in 99% of the time anyway. I just want a way of making my laptop run smoothly.

Please someone give me an answer that helps me and please don't just say "switch to gtx 1060 in nvidia control panel". It's deeper than that.

Does it only happen when on battery?

My old laptop switched the screen to 40hz when in battery mode, to "save" battery, but it just felt horrible. So i disabled that feature in "intel control panel", and surprise, battery life stayed the same.

So open intel control panel and disable all the power saving features, it will still use 10x less power than the nvidia gpu.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

You should be able to disable Optimus in the nVidia drivers. It would then force the 1060 to be utilized. The Intel iGPU doesn't even have the power to run 4k smoothly, lmao.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

That's weird, I'm pretty sure the iGPU should handle displaying the desktop just fine, even at 4k. By "lag" do you mean a choppy framerate or input latency? Have you made sure the screen is actually running at 60hz?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

You should be able to disable Optimus in the nVidia drivers. It would then force the 1060 to be utilized. The Intel iGPU doesn't even have the power to run 4k smoothly, lmao.

yes it does, it  can run 4k @60hz over DP/eDP

3 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

yes it does, it  can run 4k @60hz over DP/eDP

There is a well defined difference between can, and should

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

4 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

There is a well defined difference between can, and should

It takes 0 work rendering desktop.

The iGPU is plenty powerful enough to display 4K 60Hz, I also have a 7700HQ laptop with a 4K screen and don't have any issues. Have you tried reformatting? Making sure all your drivers/bios are up to date?

46 minutes ago, Quinn Bromley said:

ecause this laptop has a 4K 60Hz Screen it is laggy

Display is drived by iGPU. Sometimes Intel iGPU cannot handle 4k properly (mostly in Ultrabooks)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128