Intro to Java tips

TacoSenpai

For my current Masters work I'm taking a Java course it is an intro course that teaches as if the student hasn't done OOP before but it will be fairly fast paced.  I wanted to know if there is anything in particular I should pay attention to or any quirks of the language to be ready for.  Thanks for any input.

it'd help to know what languages you are familiar with

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

2 hours ago, reniat said:

it'd help to know what languages you are familiar with

Agreed sorry.  So mostly front web dev markup stuff.  HTML, CSS, a bit of Javascript, and some familiarity with C#.

26 minutes ago, TacoSenpai said:

Agreed sorry.  So mostly front web dev markup stuff.  HTML, CSS, a bit of Javascript, and some familiarity with C#.

So HTML and CSS don't think about those when dealing with Java it's useless. Javascript methods structure wise will be extremely similar. C# structure look alot like Java.

For classes base yourself on C# more than javascript.

From either Javascript and C# the hill to Java is not that steep. Unless you get into very complex patterns you should feel at home.

13 hours ago, TacoSenpai said:

For my current Masters work I'm taking a Java course it is an intro course that teaches as if the student hasn't done OOP before but it will be fairly fast paced.

Could be from my University because I took such a course last semester ?  If you are unfamiliar with objects then pay attention when they are introduced because that is when a larger number of students had problems in my class.

DON'T DO IT (jk. it's popular to hate on Java)

Since you're familiar with C#, Java will be similar structure wise, as mentioned. Now it depends on what C# language features you're accustomed to use, but Java does not really have the semantics of modern C# (I find streams in Java 8 inferior to C# LINQ for eg, or class properties in .NET 4.6), not sure what's new since the last time I used both of them though.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:30 PM, Franck said:

So HTML and CSS don't think about those when dealing with Java it's useless. Javascript methods structure wise will be extremely similar. C# structure look alot like Java.

For classes base yourself on C# more than javascript.

From either Javascript and C# the hill to Java is not that steep. Unless you get into very complex patterns you should feel at home.

Yeah I figured the web dev stuff wouldn't help much no surprise there.   I dont think things will get too complex in the syllabus its more concerned with teaching concepts of OOP, basic functions of java and just raw practice.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, Teddy07 said:

Could be from my University because I took such a course last semester ?  If you are unfamiliar with objects then pay attention when they are introduced because that is when a larger number of students had problems in my class.

Haha no kidding huh? I'll keep note of that thanks for the heads up.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:10 PM, DevBlox said:

DON'T DO IT (jk. it's popular to hate on Java)

Since you're familiar with C#, Java will be similar structure wise, as mentioned. Now it depends on what C# language features you're accustomed to use, but Java does not really have the semantics of modern C# (I find streams in Java 8 inferior to C# LINQ for eg, or class properties in .NET 4.6), not sure what's new since the last time I used both of them though.

Unfortunately I dont have much choice though I am looking forward to it even professionally definetely helps me out.  Always wanted to work on my OOP chops.  Thanks for the input.

It’s just like c++

it’s annoying to install. Pay attention. 

Things get passed by reference by default for memory management. 

2 hours ago, fpo said:

It’s just like c++

it’s annoying to install. Pay attention. 

Things get passed by reference by default for memory management. 

Only objects are pass by reference. Primitives and literals are pass by copy like c and c++

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, TacoSenpai said:

Yeah I figured the web dev stuff wouldn't help much no surprise there.   I dont think things will get too complex in the syllabus its more concerned with teaching concepts of OOP, basic functions of java and just raw practice.

Haha no kidding huh? I'll keep note of that thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately I dont have much choice though I am looking forward to it even professionally definetely helps me out.  Always wanted to work on my OOP chops.  Thanks for the input.

HTML can be useful if you are to make webapps in java with JSP,  spring MVC, and what nots. JavaScript and CSS can also be useful in java to take care of UI and front end stuff. CSS can be used in javafx for example to style the GUI. 

But I guess if you aren't gonna do full stack development, c# is only thing relevant here. 

Sudo make me a sandwich