Sell broken CPU

So I am planning ahead to build a $500-$520 pc build with some used parts (Ryzen 5 1600 and RX 480 8GB) and then sell some my working used hardware. One of the items I'm stuck on pricing is this 2600x with two snapped off pins that has been used for about 4 months. Normally, if it was not broken, I would price at around $149, but it definitely is (still a chance it works but highly unlikely). So what is a fair price for a 'for parts' 2600x. $89? $99? Not sure how to price. [Selling likely locally like on Craigslist].

Limiting the market to local will radically drop the value. There's a small market for broken CPUs (I'm assuming the two pins broken aren't ground-pins).

Honestly, in a local market, I'd value it at less than $50, but this depends on your local market.

On eBay, I'd value it around $80, but I'd keep up with this Ebay posting to get a better estimate - the value may be different than my estimate. These are the only broken 2700xs I could find on eBay.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

It's more or less trash if it doesn't work anymore.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

not sure if he will do this, but send it in to louis rossman to fix it. depending on how much he will charge, you can use the faster 2600x instead of buying another 1600.

18 minutes ago, KingCry said:

It's more or less trash if it doesn't work anymore.

Yeah. But also, I haven't proven that it doesn't work and I honestly don't want to risk it, considering failing could damaging the CPU further or harming my motherboard. There are certain ways to work around it though. The pins have just the slightest chance to be non-important/critical ones. If you can do it right, you can insert two pin shaped metal pieces to act as a pin (unsafe but don't multiple times). So maybe I should list in a different way.

39 minutes ago, Saksham said:

not sure if he will do this, but send it in to louis rossman to fix it. depending on how much he will charge, you can use the faster 2600x instead of buying another 1600.

Rossman doesn't know CPUs - it's not his specialty. He basically does macs and macs alone. If it's not one, he's just another average joe.

@AYDANN6ix9ine If you're willing to search up a pin-diagram, you may've been lucky and broken 2 ground pins (although the chance is low)

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

24 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Rossman doesn't know CPUs - it's not his specialty. He basically does macs and macs alone. If it's not one, he's just another average joe.

@AYDANN6ix9ine If you're willing to search up a pin-diagram, you may've been lucky and broken 2 ground pins (although the chance is low)

I know Rossman can't fix it. About pin diagrams, AMD hasn't released any for AM4 and nobody really expects them too. I have seen some on reddit threads but those seem very unaccurate compared to AM4 CPUs and Sockets. I could try to boot the system but I'd be risking further damage to the CPU and could even damage by motherboard. That risk likely isn't worth $250. If you could link any pin diagrams or know, that would be helpful. Also, what are the chances (in numbers) that those two pins were non-critical (not necessarly ground, could be unimportant key or reserved pin as well)? 

On 5/2/2019 at 9:34 PM, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

could try to boot the system but I'd be risking further damage to the CPU and could even damage by motherboard. That risk likely isn't worth $250. If you could link any pin diagrams or know, that would be helpful. Also, what are the chances (in numbers) that those two pins were non-critical (not necessarly ground, could be unimportant key or reserved pin as well)? 

I am not sure about this, but i dont think that trying to boot it will cause any problems. 

for the chance, i know that many pins are unused as they might use them later on (basically reserving pins just in case). 

AM4 has 1331 pins. im pretty sure that i rember a youtuber talking about intel cpus (i think it was der8er). in that, about 10% were not allocated to anything. if ryzen is simmilar, and the 2 broken pins are not next to each other, you have probably about <10% change that it still works.

Honestly I would check with a couple Jewelers and see if they can't solder the pins back on. 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

4 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Honestly I would check with a couple Jewelers and see if they can't solder the pins back on. 

This kind of service isn't exactly cheap nor is it guaranteed.

I'll go with the CPU is worthless route on this one.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)