SSD for gaming and Storage suggestions?

Go to solution Solved by Wh0_Am_1,

SLC- Single layer cell, this means that each cells store 1 charge and thereby one bit, this is the fastest and most rugged class, yet also the least cost efficient and most space hungry

MLC- Multilayered cell or Dual layered cell, each cell can store 2 bits, but each read/write cycle in which both bits are stored is twice as hard as on SLC basically a full R/W cycle is with MLC is like 2 with SLC, but it each cell consumes about as much space as an SLC cell. Also it takes more time to use both layers as the upper most layer must be filled before the bottom most layer can be utilized at full capacity, although SSDs can treat MLC as SLC, for quick storage and compact the second bit in later, think of it as climbing bunk beds or fitting people into the back seat of a car.

TLC- Triple layered cell, same as MLC except with the potential to 3 bits instead of 2, and each full read and write cycle (in which all three bits layers have bits) is like 3 SLC cycles.

QLC MLC with twice the layers, thereby it wears out twice as fast when the SSD is used to capacity, and as the SSD is filled it will tend to get slower as more of the SSD is filled, this is also one of the cheapest technologies as it requires fewer chips to provide the same amount of storage and thereby less silicon. 

I hope this helps! or you could just ignore me and watch the video...... 

...... I just typed all that for nothing didn't I?

Hi guys,

So I have a 860 evo 500gb SSD right now as my game drive, but it is slowly but surely filling up and when the time comes I will need a new SSD.

Are there any SSD's I should look out for in case my 500gb finally fills up?

I'm looking for a 1TB or 2TB drive.

There's a bunch of things I don't understand like QLC, TLC differences. Is there a better one of the two? And all that.

Of course I'll take the one that should age better over any other as I wish to keep it over the years.

(I got the 860 Evo at first because of all the good reviews it has.)

Also, should I consider an m.2 ssd?

I have 4 sata slots and 2 asata slots. As I have a 970 Evo plus for my boot drive, occupying the first m.2 slot makes the 2 asata slots not useable.(According to the mobo manual)

So if I get a m.2 ssd for my second m.2 slot I won't be able to add anymore HDDs or SSDs as it will render 2 sata slots not useable.

FYI 2 of the 6 slots is used up by my 500gb SSD and a 2tb HDD.

Thanks in advance!

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

Get whatever is cheap and is from a reputable brand - it doesn't have to be Samsung. But buying an SSD for storage... That's going to be pricey.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

any old SSD should be fine. 

if you want a quality one. Crucial mx500 is a cheaper EVO. 

SLC- Single layer cell, this means that each cells store 1 charge and thereby one bit, this is the fastest and most rugged class, yet also the least cost efficient and most space hungry

MLC- Multilayered cell or Dual layered cell, each cell can store 2 bits, but each read/write cycle in which both bits are stored is twice as hard as on SLC basically a full R/W cycle is with MLC is like 2 with SLC, but it each cell consumes about as much space as an SLC cell. Also it takes more time to use both layers as the upper most layer must be filled before the bottom most layer can be utilized at full capacity, although SSDs can treat MLC as SLC, for quick storage and compact the second bit in later, think of it as climbing bunk beds or fitting people into the back seat of a car.

TLC- Triple layered cell, same as MLC except with the potential to 3 bits instead of 2, and each full read and write cycle (in which all three bits layers have bits) is like 3 SLC cycles.

QLC MLC with twice the layers, thereby it wears out twice as fast when the SSD is used to capacity, and as the SSD is filled it will tend to get slower as more of the SSD is filled, this is also one of the cheapest technologies as it requires fewer chips to provide the same amount of storage and thereby less silicon. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

16 hours ago, TrigrH said:

MLC is better than TLC which is better than QLC.

EVO is TLC

PRO is MLC

QVO is QLC

16 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

This is very informative thanks! So I'm guessing MLC or TLC SSDs are better for my use case. Since I don't have the kind of money to keep buying SSDs, I'd like to keep the ones I have for as long as I can.

16 hours ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Get whatever is cheap and is from a reputable brand - it doesn't have to be Samsung. But buying an SSD for storage... That's going to be pricey.

I wasn't exactly thinking of getting an SSD for storage. In the case my 2TB HDD fills up I'll just get an external HDD to move my files or buy another internal HDD for more space. Buuuut I do wish to get a larger SSD for games so I have enough space to store as much as I can. As I don't want to store my games in my HDD once my SSD is full, since the difference is so huge I can't go back to HDD lol. And my current HDD is 5400rpm... wanted a 7200rpm seagate HDD but there was none that would ship to my location at the time I purchased my PC parts....

16 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

any old SSD should be fine. 

if you want a quality one. Crucial mx500 is a cheaper EVO. 

16 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Crucial MX500 is my go-to cheap but good SSD.

Would the Crucial MX500 be MLC or TLC? I was also thinking of this particular SSD as it seems to be good for it's performance and price.

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

1 minute ago, David_Kwan said:

Would the Crucial MX500 be MLC or TLC? I was also thinking of this particular SSD as it seems to be good for it's performance and price.

I believe its TLC. And for its price its more or less the go to option for cheap high performance SSDs.

8 minutes ago, David_Kwan said:

This is very informative thanks! So I'm guessing MLC or TLC SSDs are better for my use case. Since I don't have the kind of money to keep buying SSDs, I'd like to keep the ones I have for as long as I can.

Your welcome! Do note at the time of writing SLC is the really high end SSDs, MLC is high end, TLC is mid grade, QLC is lower end, although all of them read about just as fast, if you are just going to dump files onto the SSD and use it as a mass storage device, and not keep rewriting things, (and have the patience to wait for potentially longer game installations,) then you probably want to go with TLC or QLC, that is unless you are willing to spend a pretty penny for MLC.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I believe its TLC. And for its price its more or less the go to option for cheap high performance SSDs.

It's currently $129.95 on Amazon for the 1TB model. $20 cheaper than the 860 Evo. As I don't need it yet I'll wait for a deal and get it then. Does Amazon always have Black Friday deals?

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

It's currently $129.95 on Amazon for the 1TB model. $20 cheaper than the 860 Evo. As I don't need it yet I'll wait for a deal and get it then. Does Amazon always have Black Friday deals?

Not necessarily.

I dont keep up with blackfridaydeals. They are often quite lackluster in tech. There isnt much to margin to begin with

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Your welcome! Do note at the time of writing SLC is the really high end SSDs, MLC is high end, TLC is mid grade, QLC is lower end, although all of them read about just as fast, if you are just going to dump files onto the SSD and use it as a mass storage device, and not keep rewriting things, (and have the patience to wait for potentially longer game installations,) then you probably want to go with TLC or QLC.

I plan to use it solely for gaming. So as some of the guys here recommended I may get the Crucial MX500 1TTB model (when it's on a deal). And as it is TLC would it's performance dwindle as I keep using it? Same for my 860 evo as @TrigrH mentioned the evo is TLC?

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Not necessarily.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

I dont keep up with blackfridaydeals. They are often quite lackluster in tech. There isnt much to margin to begin with

Ahh ok. I'll just keep it in my cart for the time being and just check it every once in a while if it does go on special.

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

Just now, David_Kwan said:

I plan to use it solely for gaming. So as some of the guys here recommended I may get the Crucial MX500 1TTB model (when it's on a deal). And as it is TLC would it's performance dwindle as I keep using it? Same for my 860 evo as @TrigrH mentioned the evo is TLC?

There are some versions of the evo which are MLC, I believe that the main performance hit with an almost full drive is writing,  but otherwise a TLC drive should wear out about 50% faster than an MLC drive, but that should not be an issue if you are not constantly writing to it.

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

There are some versions of the evo which are MLC, I believe that the main performance hit with an almost full drive is writing,  but otherwise a TLC drive should wear out about 50% faster than an MLC drive, but that should not be an issue if you are not constantly writing to it.

So if it just for gaming, there won't be too much of a problem I guess?

And should I leave a certain percentage of the drive free to have it last longer? I read somewhere in the forum that you shouldn't have a drive full all the time as it can make the drive wear much faster?

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

So if it just for gaming, there won't be too much of a problem I guess?

And should I leave a certain percentage of the drive free to have it last longer? I read somewhere in the forum that you shouldn't have a drive full all the time as it can make the drive wear much faster?

Yes generally speaking it is common practice to leave at least 20% of the drive empty, as SSDs move around the data when writing to even out the wear on the drive, and with more empty space, you have fewer wasted write cycles from this process.

11 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Yes generally speaking it is common practice to leave at least 20% of the drive empty, as SSDs move around the data when writing to even out the wear on the drive, and with more empty space, you have fewer wasted write cycles from this process.

lol... if I need to leave at least 20% then I can fit one more game in my SSD as it has only 149GB of space left. 

11 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Unfortunately this does not ship to where I'm from.. and is there a significant difference between 32 and 64 layers?

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

5 minutes ago, David_Kwan said:

is there a significant difference between 32 and 64 layers?

As far as I know, only how compact the memory is.

6 minutes ago, David_Kwan said:

Unfortunately this does not ship to where I'm from.. 

I apologize for asking, but which country or province does it need to be shipped to?

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Thats a lie, 3 bit MLC is TLC.

Ooph I missed that 3bit thanks!

3 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

By default they've already over-provisioned from the factory almost completely sufficiently, have a read here https://www.seagate.com/au/en/tech-insights/ssd-over-provisioning-benefits-master-ti/

2 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

By default they've already over-provisioned from the factory almost completely sufficiently, have a read here https://www.seagate.com/au/en/tech-insights/ssd-over-provisioning-benefits-master-ti/

Indeed, but that is near the bare minimum for the drive to be able to function, usually less than 10%