HBM2 VS. GDDR6 VS GDDR5X VS GDDR5

Aliairstinger
Go to solution Solved by MeatFeastMan,

HBM2 and GDDR6 are pretty much even, although HBM2 consumes far less power (That is however cancelled out by AMD's weaker efficiency)

For video editing I'd get Radeon VII if I were you. It's not really a card for gamers, it's more of a gaming/creative hybrid thing. The 16gb hbm2 + HBCC makes it an absolute monster for the price, and beats out the 2080ti in applications where that kind of vram can be used.

HBM2 is probably top dog, but comes at a cost (That's why AMD failed to get the Radeon VII to the $500-600 price range). GDDR6 is closely following it, with GDDR5X and then GDDR5 after that.

Hi Everyone, I was looking into building a pc for video editing and I was wondering what would be better for editing, HBM2 Memory, GDDR6 Memory, GDDR5X Memory, or GDDR5 Memory?

HBM2 and GDDR6 are pretty much even, although HBM2 consumes far less power (That is however cancelled out by AMD's weaker efficiency)

For video editing I'd get Radeon VII if I were you. It's not really a card for gamers, it's more of a gaming/creative hybrid thing. The 16gb hbm2 + HBCC makes it an absolute monster for the price, and beats out the 2080ti in applications where that kind of vram can be used.

HBM2 is probably top dog, but comes at a cost (That's why AMD failed to get the Radeon VII to the $500-600 price range). GDDR6 is closely following it, with GDDR5X and then GDDR5 after that.

24 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

although HBM2 consumes far less power (That is however cancelled out by AMD's weaker efficiency)

Just wanted to note that HBM2 is not just on AMD GPUs, higher end NVIDIA Quadro like the GP100 and the Titan V has HBM2. But at that price range, you should be using them for strictly professional workloads where you can get a return of investment.

Just now, Aliairstinger said:

@MeatFeastMan Where would Standard HBM memory fall? just interested.

Level with GDDR5 maybe? Not sure. What I do know though is that for video editing you'll ideally want 8gb vram at least, so that kind of rules out 1st gen HBM, which was only released on AMD Fiji with 4gb. 4gb probably isn't enough for you.

If you want a cheaper option than the Radeon VII I suggested, I'd look at vega 56. You get 8gb vram + HBCC and it's on a really good price right now. That's the cheapest entry point for HBM2. If you want to go even lower (Although not recommended), go for RX 580 8gb. You don't get HBCC on that and it's using GDDR5 instead of HBM2. P{olaris doesn't have the raw compute strength that Vega has though so it won't be as good for your purpose.

You need to decide based on the applications you are using.

In all reality, if you are working with the Adobe suite, you really should go with NVIDIA.

Adobe fully supports CUDA and your performance levels off around the low high end:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2019-AMD-Radeon-VII-vs-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-1395/

Great example here.

So what applications do you plan to work with?

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

7 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

You need to decide based on the applications you are using.

In all reality, if you are working with the Adobe suite, you really should go with NVIDIA.

Adobe fully supports CUDA and your performance levels off around the low high end:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2019-AMD-Radeon-VII-vs-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-1395/

Great example here.

So what applications do you plan to work with?

I plan to use Da Vinci  Resolve 16.

11 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Do you have an idea on if getting a GTX 1060 with GDDR5X memory is a good idea?

5 minutes ago, Aliairstinger said:

is there any difference between GDDR5 and GDDR5X memory?

Depends. 

GDDR5X found on 1080 had just little bit more bandwith than GDDR5, but GDDR5x gen 2 (found on 1080 Ti) matches the bandwith of HBM2 found on Vega 56/64 cards

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

There's not much point in looking at VRAM type alone. It's not that important, what matters is the overall bandwidth. GDDR5 can easily outperform HBM2 and GDDR6 if they just use a wide enough bus.

13 hours ago, Aliairstinger said:

I plan to use Da Vinci  Resolve 16.

This should be your reference:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-DaVinci-Resolve-187/Hardware-Recommendations

Don't get so wrapped up in the capability of the hardware. Fact is, if the software you plan to use to create doesn't work well with your hardware, then the "potential" of the hardware really doesn't matter.

In this, your graphics card really does matter.

Radeon VII seems to be the best buy for this, as you get better performance than a 2080TI and have the ability to do much higher resolution workloads thanks to the 16GB of VRAM.

A great runner up would be a Vega 56 at $300 since you can OC to get Vega 64 performance.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

• 8 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 10:54 PM, MeatFeastMan said:

Level with GDDR5 maybe? Not sure. What I do know though is that for video editing you'll ideally want 8gb vram at least, so that kind of rules out 1st gen HBM, which was only released on AMD Fiji with 4gb. 4gb probably isn't enough for you.

If you want a cheaper option than the Radeon VII I suggested, I'd look at vega 56. You get 8gb vram + HBCC and it's on a really good price right now. That's the cheapest entry point for HBM2. If you want to go even lower (Although not recommended), go for RX 580 8gb. You don't get HBCC on that and it's using GDDR5 instead of HBM2. P{olaris doesn't have the raw compute strength that Vega has though so it won't be as good for your purpose.

Or whimsically, have it ~all as a learning tool, on an AMD APU w/ its Vega IGP?

You seem the other person that like HBCC. I am a noob, but I just love the notion of it.

They say windows does much the same stuff... fine. I still like the option of the gpu maker giving me an alternative.

The lame enthusiasm for gpu pcie 4 puzzles me. I see many possibilities for some use cases. An ~unlimited 32GB/s tier added to the GPU cache pool as a cache extender seems very interesting for some use cases?

Yes it is just another doubling of pcie speeds, but maybe it crosses a thresh hold where using ram as a supplement to gpu cache becomes actually useful - 32GB/s is quite decent.

What a pity there is no hack for the radeon VII (to ungimp it from its native PCIE 4)

GDDR7+s is the model to get.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze