Which PSU and why?

Krunica

I am planning to buy new PC(Ryzen 5 and GTX1660ti or RTX2060) so I just can't decide what PSU to buy. . Modular but 80plus bronze or non modular but 80plus silver.

Can you guys help me to tell which PSU is better and why.

The listed are next:

Fortron Raider II 650W not modular but 80+ silver almost 80+ gold for 82$

https://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP166001419/

Frotron Hyper M85+ 650W modular but 80+ bronze for 90$

https://www.fsp-europe.com/hyper-m85-650w-550w/

Corsair CX650M 650W modular but 80+ bronze for 102$

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/cxm-series-2015-config/p/CP-9020103-NA

So far reviews say first one is really well built and only disadvantage is that it isnt modular. But is this thing really important?

CX650M; the raider silver is trash and the 85+ is pretty bad. The CX650M is good quality though

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 minutes ago, Krunica said:

I am planning to buy new PC(Ryzen 5 and GTX1660ti or RTX2060) so I just can't decide what PSU to buy

Fortron Raider II 650W not modular but 80+ silver almost 80+ gold for 82$

Frotron Hyper M85+ 650W modular but 80+ bronze for 90$

Corsair CX650M 650W modular but 80+ bronze for 102$

None of those.
Your system will require less than 300W. No need for a 650W PSU. You would be better off looking at some 450W units. What country are you in? Do you have a link to some PC part websites in your country that you could buy from?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Why are these 2 your only alternatives? There are better products on the market for similar price points.

At least semi-modular is a very 'nice to have' personally speaking, it makes cable management so much easier...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I know there are better out there but I dont want to cross that 100$ limit and from that page i will order all components since they could give me some kind of coupon. 

So only those 3 are here, there is 500 or 550w PSUs but all the same as above with less wattage and little bit lower price. I am planning to buy little bit higher wattage just in case I may need overclock or upgrade something later. In current PC I have Antec VPF650W but is 3 years old now.

So choose between 3 offered. And my page is not on english langage or even dollar. So it will be hard for you to understand what it says.

Only thing cheaper I can take is Corsair CX550M 550W this should be enough then?

2 hours ago, Krunica said:

I am planning to buy new PC(Ryzen 5 and GTX1660ti or RTX2060) so I just can't decide what PSU to buy. . Modular but 80plus bronze or non modular but 80plus silver.

The 80plus Rating is irrelevant.

Though you don't find many awesome 80plus Bronze (and Silver) PSU these days because they aren't much cheaper to make than entry level 80plus Gold units.

So the real good stuff is at 80plus Gold. For FSP, the Hydro GE must be ignored, its not a good unit.

In current PC I have Antec VPF650W but is 3 years old now.

So choose between 3 offered. And my page is not on english langage or even dollar. So it will be hard for you to understand what it says.

What's wrong with the VPF-650W??

What I found looks pretty neat:
https://www.islabit.com/53326/review-fuente-de-alimentacion-antec-vpf650.html/4

I don't see a reason to replace it. Especially with a unit that's actually worse or not really better.

Between the things you have, I'd stay stick with your Antec for now. 3 Years is not a real problem.

Or do you have any Problems with the PSU? If so, what's it??

The ones you showed us so far are worse than what you got!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

@Krunica Google Translate and online currency converters make browsing through foreign sites actually manageable. Why don't you share your location or webshop of choice's link? Would be easier to recommend anything in that case.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

31 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Though you don't find many awesome 80plus Bronze (and Silver) PSU these days because they aren't much cheaper to make than entry level 80plus Gold units.

So the real good stuff is at 80plus Gold. For FSP, the Hydro GE must be ignored, its not a good unit.

I don't see a reason to replace it. Especially with a unit that's actually worse or not really better.

Between the things you have, I'd stay stick with your Antec for now. 3 Years is not a real problem.

CXM is worse than this Antec?

PSU is fine but it's little bit louder unit. And I am planning to give this PC to my brother. I don't know where you reading reviews for Raider but this isnt same unit as Raider , it's Raider II which they say is similar to FSP Aurum S and FSP Hydro X but newer.

5 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

@Krunica Google Translate and online currency converters make browsing through foreign sites actually manageable. Why don't you share your location or webshop of choice's link? Would be easier to recommend anything in that case.

here you go 

https://www.adm.hr/category.asp?cate=napajanja-101&id=44&cond=&Page=4

and no 450 is not enough if you OC or upgade some stuff later. Friend had 450w on similar system and had to upgrade to 550w or above.

22 minutes ago, Krunica said:

here you go 

and no 450 is not enough if you OC or upgade some stuff later. Friend had 450w on similar system and had to upgrade to 550w or above.

450W is plenty if you buy a unit that gives 450W. Bad budget models might have 450 on box but only 300W on 12V rail.

I guess Corsair Vengeance 550m is reasonably priced on that site. Its a bit loud though.

40 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

this is review for Raider 2 for example

https://www.conseil-config.com/2017/test-fsp-raider-ii-750/4/#conclusion

https://www.cowcotland.com/articles/2177-4/test-alimentation-fsp-raider-ii-750-watts.html

23 minutes ago, Krunica said:

here you go 

Oh, I got the suspicion that you actually were Croatian.. Just the screen name was a suggestion.

Corsair RM550x? Though dearer than in my country, but not by much. And it comes with ten years of warranty

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

3 minutes ago, Krunica said:

CXM is worse than this Antec?

You can argue about that if it is worse or not.

It certainly is not an upgrade. At best its a sidegrade.

PSU is fine but it's little bit louder unit. And I am planning to give this PC to my brother.

OK, so you need a new PSU for your brother??

I don't know where you reading reviews for Raider but this isnt same unit as Raider , it's Raider II which they say is similar to FSP Aurum S but newer.

I never said anything about Raider :|

And no, its not how you describe it.

Actually the Oriinal Raider is the variant based on the Aurum S, the Raider 2 is completely different. At least has DC-DC, so its not that bad. But still not something I'd get.

So the real question is:
What do you want:
A better PSU or a PSU for your Brother??

7 minutes ago, Krunica said:

That's not a review, that's bullshit!
pls ignore it.

For a PSU Review you need:
a Load, electronic if possible

an osciloscope

Good Tests have a Power Source, somewhat decent electronics load...

I've yet to see a decent Test, so I don't know about the voltage and so on.

But I do know how it looks and that's something like this:

https://prohardver.hu/tema/re_fsp_raider_ii_tapok_tesztje/hsz_1-50.html

That has nothing to do with Aurum at all.

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

So the real question is:
What do you want:
A better PSU or a PSU for your Brother??

From what I gather, he's looking to buy a completely new system for himself. When he builds the new system, he's planning on giving his old system which has the Antec PSU to his brother.

So he's looking for a new PSU for his new system (ryzen 5 + either 1660ti or rtx2060).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

47 minutes ago, Krunica said:

here you go 

Yes, 450W is enough for most mid range Systems.

You need more if we talk about High end GPUs, something like VEGA, x80ti and so on.

And with VEGA you can tune it so it runs with 400W as well.

But that's not the point, here what I think makes sense from a pretty good Antec PSU:
https://www.adm.hr/product.asp?product=napajanje-thermaltake-750w-toughpower-grand-rgb-ps-tpg-0750fpcgeu-r&code=101.100.113

https://www.adm.hr/product.asp?product=napajanje-corsair-550w-rm550x-2018-cp-9020177-eu&code=101.200.059

https://www.adm.hr/product.asp?product=napajanje-fortron-hydro-g-650w-gold-modularno&code=101.200.087

I didn't care about Wattage, Price or so. I only looked at PSU that are better than your Antec VPF.

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

From what I gather, he's looking to buy a completely new system for himself. When he builds the new system, he's planning on giving his old system which has the Antec PSU to his brother.

So he's looking for a new PSU for his new system (ryzen 5 + either 1660ti or rtx2060).

Yeah, Problem is:
The PSU he has is already really really good.

Here is a Review of it.

Of course its not perfect and fails Holdup tests, as do most of the cheaper units, but Ripple is pretty good, 

Efficiency is pretty bad but its a cheaper unit, so to be expected.

Voltage regulation is OK - starts at 12.12V and drops to 11,9V at full load. 

Crossloads are of no importance as the unit already has independant voltage regulation for all rails via buck converter (aka DC-DC).

Fan RPM is on the high side (same regions as the Corsair CX and TX in idle).

In the end the only issue the Antec VPF-650W has is the fan noise. And that's about it.

Electronically its a fine unit. One of the best 80plus Bronze units you could buy at the time. Wich makes it not easy to recommend a unit as he already has a really really good (but loud) unit.

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

yes this i will give my old PC with haswell to brother and buy new build

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, 450W is enough for most mid range Systems.

You need more if we talk about High end GPUs, something like VEGA, x80ti and so on.

And with VEGA you can tune it so it runs with 400W as well.

But that's not the point, here what I think makes sense from a pretty good Antec PSU:
https://www.adm.hr/product.asp?product=napajanje-thermaltake-750w-toughpower-grand-rgb-ps-tpg-0750fpcgeu-r&code=101.100.113

https://www.adm.hr/product.asp?product=napajanje-corsair-550w-rm550x-2018-cp-9020177-eu&code=101.200.059

https://www.adm.hr/product.asp?product=napajanje-fortron-hydro-g-650w-gold-modularno&code=101.200.087

I didn't care about Wattage, Price or so. I only looked at PSU that are better than your Antec VPF.

yes but I don't want to do this, if this calculator is right with all things inside and devices connected outside it will pull around 480W. And I want to make some free space in case I upgrade later, maybe new GPU or something.

But that TT looks great tho. Others are over 100$ and I wont cross that limit. 

Maybe I will get some cheaper one to my bro and just replace it with Antec :D

2 minutes ago, Krunica said:

yes but I don't want to do this, if this calculator is right with all things inside and devices connected outside it will pull around 480W. And I want to make some free space in case I upgrade later, maybe new GPU or something.

I ran a i7-8700K @ 4.9Ghz and a Vega 64 on a CX450M for awhile.

Go for the recommendations above by Stefan, they are great options.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

51 minutes ago, Krunica said:

yes this i will give my old PC with haswell to brother and buy new build

at the end i will just buy my bro new cheaper PSU and take Antec then. haha I mean if you can't find anything better on that page even with lower W like 550w

One more question this TT 750w PSU have very high inrush current and don't have any protection against it as seen on reviews. Is this something I should worry about?

One more question this TT 750w PSU have very high inrush current and don't have any protection against it as seen on reviews. Is this something I should worry about?

Depends on how often you plug the PSU in.

With high Inrush content the Bulk Cap is stressed a bit more.

But with ERP stuff on in the BIOS the Board shouldn't consume 5W or so anyway, so you can let it have pluged in.

43 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Depends on how often you plug the PSU in.

With high Inrush content the Bulk Cap is stressed a bit more.

But with ERP stuff on in the BIOS the Board shouldn't consume 5W or so anyway, so you can let it have pluged in.

i actually do unplug PC or to better say PSU during summer because of storms which are unexpected in my place and happen almost every day at my place. I have to unplug it just in case every day when I leave house. 

I had accident where lightning hit near my house and my MBO and PSU were dead after. But also modem. Few months after monitor died too but also GPU. They were probably damaged by this too but not too much I guess.

Then I bought cheap PSU and after 3 years again MBO died because PSU was shit.

I will just go with Fortron Hydro G 650 or XFX XTR if i find some, friend have one of those and say they really kick ass

8 hours ago, Krunica said:

here you go 

So your friend had a crappy 450W?

Using your link....

Not sure why everyone is stuck on the CX550M.

The Vengeance 550M is actually 55 Kn cheaper!!!!!

The non-modular CX550 is 57 Kn cheaper and is a newer topology!!!!!!

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

So your friend had a crappy 450W?

Using your link....

Not sure why everyone is stuck on the CX550M.

The Vengeance 550M is actually 55 Kn cheaper!!!!!

The non-modular CX550 is 57 Kn cheaper and is a newer topology!!!!!!

because Stefan is master of PSUs(seen him on jonnyguru) and he said that if I am already changing and upgrading PC, I should actually get better PSU than I already have. This Antec VPF which was around 100$ back then. And I agree with him, I will probably get Fortron Hydro G 650W. This PSU and bet chill for some time, with more wattage it will allow me to upgrade my PC later too. Because I don't plan to change PSU every 6 months.

BTW 55kn is like 8 dollars xD

7 hours ago, Krunica said:

because Stefan is master of PSUs(seen him on jonnyguru) and he said that if I am already changing and upgrading PC, I should actually get better PSU than I already have. This Antec VPF which was around 100$ back then. And I agree with him, I will probably get Fortron Hydro G 650W. This PSU and bet chill for some time, with more wattage it will allow me to upgrade my PC later too. Because I don't plan to change PSU every 6 months.

BTW 55kn is like 8 dollars xD

No. I agree with Stefan.  Your Antec is good.  Read what I said.  Why is everyone that knows your choices suggesting the CX-M when there are better choices for less where you live. 

And $8 is a lot.  That's a big lunch or a couple gallons of gas.