Random shutdowns

anthony12538

I recently did a budget build for a buddy of mine. I built everything and it ran great. He decide he wanted an aftermarket cooler put in and after I installed that the pc started shutting down after loading windows, if I sat in the bios it would remain on. So I figured it had a corrupted windows file and did a fresh install, put all the drivers on, ran a few benchmarks and stressed it overnight. Everything looked good but now it started shutting off again without warning. Any ideas what it could be.

Parts:

Mb: ASUS M5A78L-M LX AM3+

CPU: FX-6120

RAM: 8gb corsair vengeance LP

GPU: ASUS DirectCU II HD 7790

PSU: EVGA 500W 80 plus

Overheating? Was thermal paste put on the cooler and was there any plastic that is still on the cooler? it happens

Yeah I removed the sticker on the block and checked the paste I applied had covered the cpu enough before I finished mounting the cooler.

Check your temps at idle and at load. Maybe something's wrong with the cooler ?

Also, for how long the system was running fine before you install the CPU cooler ?

All I want to say is that, are you sure that it something has to do with the installation of the cooler ? Maybe it is some other component.

Also it is restarting at all times (like when browsing or at the desktop) or only on demanding apps or games that require more power ? 

I'm leaning toward another component. Even though before I reinstalled windows, it would shutdown before the login screen appeared and now it will turn off about 5 min. after logging on while just sitting at the desktop. I guess it could still be the cooler sense there are less programs running after the clean install.

I'm leaning toward another component. Even though before I reinstalled windows, it would shutdown before the login screen appeared and now it will turn off about 5 min. after logging on while just sitting at the desktop. I guess it could still be the cooler sense there are less programs running after the clean install.

First just tell us what temps you are getting. If they look ok then I don't think that the cooler is the problem.

Also, you did install the motherboard standoff screws when you were building the PC. Right ? Just to be sure...

It was the mount. He brought it over this morning and one of the screws for the mount was stripped in way that made it feel secure when I originally mounted the cooler and had come loose after closing up the case I guess. I had some spare screws and nuts; now its running great. Thanks for the help.