Dark Web Vs Deep Web. Importance of deffinition.

SolarNova

Greetings all.

I want to start a discussion on the difference between the Deep Web and the Dark web, as i have just finished watching the latest WAN show and noticed both Linus and Luke incorrectly using the terms as they referred to the entirety of the Tor network and the Deep Web, as the Dark Web.

For the purpose of the discussion i would like to put forward the way I understand the definitions of the World Wide Web., as that thanks to the most popular media outlets around the world, the two terms tend to be used interchangeably, when in fact they should not be.

The Net:

The tip of the iceberg, the websites easily accessible through popular browsers and search engines.

The Deep Web:

The entirety of the rest of the iceberg under the surface, this contains all other information both in raw form, accessible by dedicated download programs, and in less easily accessible web pages. Pages will not be accessible on 'normal' search engines, web browsers, and some will use raw IP addresses for access.

The Dark Web:

Illegal content/activities as part of the Deep Web. These include but not limited to, Drugs, Weapons, Mercenary/hitman hire, Illegal communications (i.e terrorism), illegal hacking/virus activities, illegal sexual content, etc, Some countries will also define sites that may be banned in that particular Country, even if they are not widely considered illegal by others, as part of the Dark Web.

I find the miss use of the definitions leads to pre judgments on people use the 'Deep Web', and it doesn't help when even tech Youtubers and website also make the mistake of using the terms inaccurately.

Discuss.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

7 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

The Dark Web:

A section of the internet used for illegal activities.

I disagree. The Dark Web is not ONLY used for illegal activities.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

If its not illegal then its part of the Deep Web... or the Net

The Term 'Dark Web' was made to define areas of the web used for illegal activities , what ever they may be. if its not illegal then it can be open on the Net or somewhat hidden for what ever reason be it privacy, or security, etc, in the Deep Web.

The Dark Web isnt an area of the web .its a definition for content on the web. if content is illegal, its unlikely to be on the open Net, so it will be on the Deep Web, and as its Illegal its defined as Dark Web content.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

14 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Greetings all.

I want to start a discussion on the difference between the Deep Web and the Dark web, as i have just finished watching the latest WAN show and noticed both Linus and Luke incorrectly using the terms as they referred to the entirety of the Tor network and the Deep Web, as the Dark Web.

For the purpose of the discussion i would like to put forward the way I understand the definitions of the World Wide Web., as that thanks to the most popular media outlets around the world, the two terms tend to be used interchangeably, when in fact they should not be.

The Net:

The tip of the iceberg, the websites easily accessible through popular browsers and search engines.

The Deep Web:

The entirety of the rest of the iceberg under the surface, this contains all other information both in raw form, accessible by dedicated download programs, and in less easily accessible web pages. Pages will not be accessible on 'normal' search engines, web browsers, and some will use raw IP addresses for access.

The Dark Web:

A section of the internet used for illegal activities. These include but not limited to, Drugs, Weapons, Mercenary/hitman hire, Illegal communications (i.e terrorism), illegal hacking/virus activities, illegal sexual content, etc, Some countries will also define sites that may be banned in that particular Country, even if they are not widely considered illegal by others, as part of the Dark Web.

I find the miss use of the definitions leads to pre judgments on people use the 'Deep Web', and it doesn't help when even tech Youtubers and website also make the mistake of using the terms inaccurately.

Discuss.

please link sources/resources backing up your definitions. Otherwise this just feels like an opinion piece not backed up by any actual research or sources. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

Adding to this, I think a lot of journalists use it, especially in countries where the things you say is controlled by the government

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

please link sources/resources backing up your definitions. Otherwise this just feels like an opinion piece not backed up by any actual research or sources. 

General discussion, Discussion ,not news.

Just now, SolarNova said:

Then don't say others are wrong when you post nothing to back up your claim. Your claim is in fact, just opinion since you have no sources/resources to back up what you're stating. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

It doesn't need to be news for it to be factually correct, just saying..

If its not illegal then its part of the Deep Web... or the Net

The Term 'Dark Web' was made to define areas of the web used for illegal activities , what ever they may be. if its not illegal then it can be open on the Net or somewhat hidden for what ever reason be it privacy, or security, etc, in the Deep Web.

The Dark Web isnt an area of the web .its a definition for content on the web. if content is illegal, its unlikely to be on the open Net, so it will be on the Deep Web, and as its Illegal its defined as Dark Web content.

You're ignoring my point...

You said that the Dark Web is a section of the internet used for illegal activities.

And I said that I disagree and that the Dark Web is not ONLY used for illegal activities.

Stop going into definitions and answer my question: Why do you think that the Dark Web is ONLY used for illegal activities?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

17 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

You're ignoring my point...

You said that the Dark Web is a section of the internet used for illegal activities.

And I said that I disagree and that the Dark Web is not ONLY used for illegal activities.

Stop going into definitions and answer my question: Why do you think that the Dark Web is ONLY used for illegal activities?

I cant answer a question using incorrect definitions, it makes the answer pointless.

So again, misunderstanding what I'm stating.

I'm not saying the Dark web is USED for illegal activities, I'm saying Illegal activities and content of the Deep Web are DEFINED as the Dark Web. Its not an area, its a definition.

An orchard isn't an orchard until fruit trees are planted and growing. Until then its just a field. Its content defines it.

A website is defined as being a Deep Web site once its unable to be accessed using your average browser and search engines, a Deep Web site isn't considered a Dark Web site until its content is illegal.

So, "the Dark Web isn't only used for illegal activities",statement is wrong. Illegal activities/content on the Deep Web ARE the Dark Web.

This be the point of the discussion, the Deep Web , as a term gets a bad name because people assume the deep web is just the Dark Web, And the constant misuse of the terms is the cause.

2 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

A website is defined as being a Deep Web site once its unable to be accessed using your average browser and search engines, a Deep Web site isn't considered a Dark Web site until its content is illegal.

So, "the Dark Web isn't only used for illegal activities",statement is wrong. Illegal activities/content on the Deep Web ARE the Dark Web.

We will start believing you if you have resources to back up your claims of the definition you are tossing out. Until then, its pure opinion of yours and yours only. Everyone will have different opinions on everything unless its defined by a reliable source that everyone accepts. Until then, everyone's point is going to be different. I highly suggest either providing actual sources and information to back up your claims of the definition, or just drop the subject all together. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

I get why people confuse deep and dark web with each other, but this is simply false. Luke and Linus are correct in defining the dark web as the Tor network, but confusion might have struck by piling in "deep web" in that definition.

The dark web is not strictly networks used for illegal activities, it's by definition networks only accessible via Tor and I2P, etc. It encompasses illegal activity, yes, but not exclusively used for it. You can visit normal websites like Facebook, Google, Duckduckgo, etc. with an extra layer of anonymity.

I'll go one step further and say that there is no dark web, there is only the regular Internet that most people are familiar with that is listed in standard search engines, and the deep web which contains the unlisted sites and sites not accessed in a standard way. I'll agree with OP that dark web is generally used to refer to illegal or malicious sites, but it's an unnecessary set distinction that using your definition adds even more confusion. There is also no standardized definition so nobody is inherently wrong in how they define it.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz