Is my CPU running too hot? What should I do to lower my temperatures?

image.png.f73a477933665678f12c896ca00d0e0a.png

I have a gaming laptop, it's an Acer Predator Helios 300. It has an i7-7700HQ processor and an NVidia GTX-1060 graphics card. I was playing some Risk of Rain 2, and noticed that up towards the top of the keyboard, a little above the "F" keys, it was getting extremely hot to the touch, and opened PredatorSense to see that my CPU temperature was ranging anywhere from 85-97 degrees, while my gpu only topped out at 87. Is this normal for a gaming laptop? Is something wrong? If so, what should I do to fix it?

You could try an undervolt with XTU?  But really there isn't a lot to do.  And I'm not sure that liquid metal is the best bet for someone that isn't familiar.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Gaming laptops run hot. That's just a fact. Even though mobile chips use way less power there's barely any room for cooling. They do run hot. The TJunction of the 7700HQ is 100°C. The CPU will at some point throttle or even shut down completely. 

Liquid Metal is a very tricky business. You need to make sure that the cooler is not made of aluminium and since it's literally liquid metal there's always the danger of the stuff moving while the laptop is being tossed around - which will most likely kill board and chip. If the device is over 2 years old a repaste with good thermal paste can help though (just like cleaning the heatsinks).

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

55 minutes ago, coreynj said:

I have a gaming laptop, it's an Acer Predator Helios 300. It has an i7-7700HQ processor and an NVidia GTX-1060 graphics card. I was playing some Risk of Rain 2, and noticed that up towards the top of the keyboard, a little above the "F" keys, it was getting extremely hot to the touch, and opened PredatorSense to see that my CPU temperature was ranging anywhere from 85-97 degrees, while my gpu only topped out at 87. Is this normal for a gaming laptop? Is something wrong? If so, what should I do to fix it?

Welcome to the LTT forums! Yeah this is normal, though you may want to open your laptop up and dust it out, as while these temps are "normal" they are not easy on hardware.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, coreynj said:

its a laptop...

best way to keep temp low is to not game on it xD

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

I have an old i5 3210m with HD4000/AMD HD7600m, ithe cpu goes up to 80 C, so, I ended up cutting up... some parts... Too much free time at work, Also, I have a 6" fan pointing directly to my laptop when I am playing at work... I lowered the hard drive temp from 40´s to 20´s and the cpu from 80´s to 60´s... 

PS You can Watercool it...

i5.jpg

For now as a temporary safeguard you can try underclocking the cpu a bit. That should help with the temps until you find a permanent solution. The performance hit won't be much if you underclock it even by 15%. Losing some fps is still better than having those temps affect the long term hardware lifetime.

There really isn't an "omg massive improvement" solution. It's a laptop, there isn't any way to improve thermals beyond 5 or so degrees. 

Try getting some of those cooling pads stuff for laptops. 

idk or just plop an icebag on it ^