Cooler for i9 9900K non OC

BeastVoid

Hey everyone, I hope you guys can help me out (and excuse my poor English). I currently have a Cryorig H7 and I want to upgrade because the i9 is reaching more than 100ºC on full load (I checked if there was good contact, and reapplied the thermal paste CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker, but nothing changed)

These are my specs:

i9 9900K stock

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming (mATX)

16GB (2x8) Spectrix D41 3200Mhz

EVGA RTX 2080 SC

Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

I have 46MM tall RAM, so I need a CPU cooler that supports that height. Also, I can't block the first PCIe slot, given this is mATX and I don't have many slots to play around.

I've been checking the tier list, reviews, and my options. Almost every cooler I can get must be brought from the outside (I'm from Argentina), and it'll take around a month to get it.

My current options are:

-Noctua NH-D15S

-Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT

-Scythe Mugen 5

From my understanding, the first two should be superior to the Mugen 5, specially if I add a 120mm fan to the D15S, but they all seem to be on the same tier, so I have my doubts. If the Mugen 5 cools the same as the other 2, I feel I should get that one, given that it's almost half the price of the other two (80 vs 48).

Also, which one would you guys say is the easiest to install? I have headaches every time I have to reinstall my H7, given that I have to turn the screws while pressing the cooler down and trying to match the holes with the screws.

I can also get a NZXT Kraken x52, but I don't trust AIOs that much.

Any help will be appreciated.

the H7 should be able to handle it at stock. What are the voltages? try 1.2v, The mugen 5 is around a U14s. The U14s is really easy to install.

There is something wrong here the temps sounds too high even if the H7 is nothing special, are you stressing it with some really heavy synthetic workload?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

the H7 should be able to handle it at stock. What are the voltages? try 1.2v, The mugen 5 is around a U14s. The U14s is really easy to install.

13 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

There is something wrong here the temps sounds too high even if the H7 is nothing special, are you stressing it with some really heavy synthetic workload?

Agreed. H7 should totally handle stock settings. If you're hitting 100 with that, I might look at my case airflow, fan speeds, mount (even though you said you checked it), BIOS settings (some motherboards at "stock" are overclocking it for you), something. What temp is your room that the PC is in?

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

22 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

hm... what about the nhd15 and drp4?

Hey, thanks for your answer.

The D15, from my understanding, will have issues with my RAM (32mm clearance), and I can't get the fan too much farther from the RAM given the limit of the CPU cooler height of the Meshify C Mini.

Haven't checked the Dark Rock Pro 4. I'm going to check it out now.

16 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Thanks for your answer.

I haven't checked the voltages. I left everything at stock (I mean, I just assembled everything, turned it on, installed Windows 10, and that's pretty much it.

16 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Thank you for answering.

With a game I reached around 80ºC (can't remember which one, honestly. It was 2-3 weeks ago), and with the stress test of CPU-Z I reached 98 and it kept crawling up but I stopped it. I haven't checked yet with my server VMs working if they throw up the temps too.

7 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Agreed. H7 should totally handle stock settings. If you're hitting 100 with that, I might look at my case airflow, fan speeds, mount (even though you said you checked it), BIOS settings (some motherboards at "stock" are overclocking it for you), something. What temp is your room that the PC is in?

Thanks for answering. I left everything at stock (even the fan curves), but it may be getting overclocked by the motherboard, I don't really know, I'm going to check. Haven't used intel in a long while (my last intel processor was an i5 750).

I recently bought 3 Noctua NF-P12. Maybe it's time to change the case fans (I'm using the two stock fans from Fractal Design, which aren't PWM).

My room temps are around 20 to 30ºC, though in summer it can get easily to 35-40ºC (I don't have an air conditioner on my room)

Edited by BeastVoid
adding info