POSSIBLE CPU BOTTLENECK?

shadowharren

I have made a new build and feel like it's being held back by the processor. Could anybody offer an opinion on this to agree or disagree with that statement? Thanks for your input.

MOBO: H110M-C
CPU: i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz (Turbo is 3.3GHz)

Cooler: Stock Fan

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 (3 GB)

PSU: EVGA 500 B

HDD: 2.5" Sata 500 GB SEAGATE

The ram also matters, my brother's rig sporting an i5 7400 and a GTX 970, rather similar specs to your own, is bottlenecked in some games, but he also has single channel ram. I borrowed a ram dimm and it helped in a few titles, but ultimately the i5 is not enough in a few games.

What games do you feel held back in?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i have a lesser processor and i do not think its not holding back my 3GB 1060. The 3GB isnt a very powerful card

what makes you think it's holding you back?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm thinking about changing the processor to an i5 8400. Any recommendations for one with better performance maybe around the same price or maybe even cheaper?

I feel like the clock speed is a little low. I like to play my gamecube games and a few Wii titles on Dolphin because my memory cards always corrupt on my actual gamecube. I bought the processor because I saw the 3.3 GHz turbo clock and not the 2.7 GHZ base clock.

1 minute ago, shadowharren said:

I feel like the clock speed is a little low. I like to play my gamecube games and a few Wii titles on Dolphin because my memory cards always corrupt on my actual gamecube. I bought the processor because I saw the 3.3 GHz turbo clock and not the 2.7 GHZ base clock.

clock speed doesn't matter as much as you think it does

upgrading to an 8th gen would mean getting a new motherboard. 

Emulation is notoriously hard on hardware, upgrading your CPU for the sole reason of an emulator is a terrible idea.

but again, what makes you think it's the CPU holding you back?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, shadowharren said:

I'm thinking about changing the processor to an i5 8400. Any recommendations for one with better performance maybe around the same price or maybe even cheaper?

I recommend a Ryzen upgrade, new processors out somewhat soon. That's what my brother will likely get anyways.

Also be sure to quote people so they see your responses.

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Probably occasional frame drops and bad frame times like my brother if I had to guess

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have also noticed when playing a few titles like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Doom that I can't get about 40 fps when I'm at medium presets.

3 minutes ago, shadowharren said:

I'm kind of an Intel guy.

Your CPU is holding you back.  You would get even more frame rate if you got a 8700 or 8700k. for only 365 and you will never have to worry about bottleneck and in the future you can even buy a 3080 card and still no bottleneck.  pull the trigger chief.  Will that fit on your motherboard ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Emulation is notoriously hard on hardware, upgrading your CPU for the sole reason of an emulator is a terrible idea.

I understand that, but I just had 3 memory cards fail me in the same month. I usually play games like CS: GO (runs fine), World of Warcraft (runs fine), The Sims (also runs fine) and a few others that run fine, but I just can't keep a steady framerate when playing anything in the AAA range. I get dips while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider where it goes as low as 6 fps, then other times it jumps back up to 30-36ish. Doom never goes above 29fps. Random hangs also. Temps show to be in the normal range with Arctic Silver 5 and a stock cooler. No OC.

11 minutes ago, Arika S said:

upgrading to an 8th gen would mean getting a new motherboard. 

Clock speed is directly related to CPU capability.  3ghz -> 4ghz is nearly a 30% performance increase.

1 minute ago, shadowharren said:

I understand that, but I just had 3 memory cards fail me in the same month. I usually play games like CS: GO (runs fine), World of Warcraft (runs fine), The Sims (also runs fine) and a few others that run fine, but I just can't keep a steady framerate when playing anything in the AAA range. I get dips while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider where it goes as low as 6 fps, then other times it jumps back up to 30-36ish. Doom never goes above 29fps. Random hangs also. Temps show to be in the normal range with Arctic Silver 5 and a stock cooler. No OC.

Doom FPS problems are caused by 3gb VRAM.

3 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

You would get even more frame rate if you got a 8700 or 8700k.

If I pulled the trigger on an 8700k, i would just get a 1080 and call it a day. It's not about money. It's about resale value later down the road when I finally upgrade again in a couple years.

Just now, shadowharren said:

If I pulled the trigger on an 8700k, i would just get a 1080 and call it a day. It's not about money. It's about resale value later down the road when I finally upgrade again in a couple years.

Nothing you can currently buy is going to have a good resale in a few years.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Doom FPS problems are caused by 3gb VRAM.

Is that really a thing for Doom? Is it one of those titles that has to have an even number or is it just not powerful enough? Minimum specs say 2GB.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Nothing you can currently buy is going to have a good resale in a few years.

I'm not gonna sell it for a ton. I know. I mean maybe 200-300 in late 2020.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Quad core 7th gen at ~3.2ghz holds back a 1050 Ti in some games.

NO kidding, even 7th gen,,,, Im 7 years old cpu and my games run like a champ, all in triple digits with all AA methods on and all nvpanel options maxed out and in game settings maxed out,, I get triple digits easy.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Will that fit on your motherboard ?

definitely not, 100 series and 200 series are a no go for coffee lake.

@shadowharren what makes you an Intel guy when you can get better performance from AMD for your dollar?

Primary PC:

Is that really a thing for Doom? Is it one of those titles that has to have an even number or is it just not powerful enough? Minimum specs say 2GB.

Less than 4gb of vram causes specific levels to tank in performance.

Also, do not use vulkan with less than 4gb of vram.

I'm not gonna sell it for a ton. I know. I mean maybe 200-300 in late 2020.

If core count jumps up again, you are looking at sub $200 for an 8700k.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

If core count jumps up again, you are looking at sub $200 for an 8700k.

Maybe I'll just hold off until next announcement/reveal before buying anything else. I might just give this one to my friend's nephew and just start over.