need replacement PSU

Vintovka9130

Dear LTT community,

I have had problems recently with my PSU causing KErnel Power 41 crashes after a few seconds to minutes of gaming (in more demanding games) and i figured the RAM wasn't causing the issue so it must be the PSU, BIOS reset and OC reset didnt fix anything. I would like a good affordable PSU that would work with my build. I also dont want to use splitter cables to connect the PSU to the GPU or CPU (8pin), it should work out of the box. Also there should be a bit of headroom available. I dont want to add a specific price, I would appreciate it if you would recommend several PSU that are available on www.amazon.de, i order all my hardware there and havent had any problems so far with that.

thanks in advance,

Vintovka

i5 4690k watercooled

4x4GB DDR3 Kingston 1600mhz CL9

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming3

Aorus gtx 1080 ti

Silverstone 750W 80+ Gold (currently)

PS: I am really disappointed that the PSU is already causing problems after 4 years, the old Silverstone 500w 80+ from the year 2010 or 2011 still works 

Something from Tier A+ or above.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

42 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

I'd get the EVGA 750 BQ, what do you think?

21 minutes ago, Vintovka9130 said:

Not bad, Corsair CX/CXM quality

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 hours ago, Vintovka9130 said:

It's a piece of junk.

Like I said A+ or higher quality.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

6 hours ago, Vintovka9130 said:

I have had problems recently with my PSU causing KErnel Power 41 crashes after a few seconds to minutes of gaming (in more demanding games) and i figured the RAM wasn't causing the issue so it must be the PSU.

I doubt it's the PSU.

1 hour ago, Ankerson said:

It's a piece of junk.

Tier A or better, really? I doubt that's necessary. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

6 hours ago, Vintovka9130 said:

I have had problems recently with my PSU causing KErnel Power 41 crashes after a few seconds to minutes of gaming (in more demanding games) and i figured the RAM wasn't causing the issue so it must be the PSU, BIOS reset and OC reset didnt fix anything.

For reference, Kernel Power 41 error relates to any time the system is shut down/restarted unexpectedly. Doesn't necessarily mean PSU related power issue.

I'd go through the normal troubleshooting steps first, removing OC (as you've done), clean reinstalling GPU drivers, checking CPU & GPU temps, testing with 1 stick of memory at a time (& in different slots), and so on. Do you have another PSU on hand you can use to test the PSU being the cause? Preferably something that's not a 9 year old 500W Silverstone (Essentials??) PSU for your 4690K & GTX1080Ti.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Ankerson said:

It's a piece of junk.

A+ & S are like high-end stuff, not everyone has that kind of money to throw around

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

9 hours ago, Vintovka9130 said:

Dear LTT community,

I have had problems recently with my PSU causing KErnel Power 41 crashes after a few seconds to minutes of gaming (in more demanding games) and i figured the RAM wasn't causing the issue so it must be the PSU,

No, there are other options for example the CPU, Board and other stuff. 

Most likely its the GPU though or a Driver Issue.

And how did you determine that it wasn't the Memory??

Silverstone 750W 80+ Gold (currently)

PS: I am really disappointed that the PSU is already causing problems after 4 years, the old Silverstone 500w 80+ from the year 2010 or 2011 still works 

What 750W PSU is it?!
Silverstone had a ton of "750W 80plus Gold" and why you think it is the PSU?!

This:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/08/silverstone_strider_gold_s_st75fgs_power_supply_review/3

That:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/04/02/silverstone_strider_gold_s_st75fgs_v2_psu_review/3

Or this:
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/04/02/silverstone_strider_gold_s_st75fgs_v2_psu_review/3

Or one of those:

https://geizhals.de/silverstone-essential-gold-et750-hg-750w-atx-2-4-schwarz-sst-et750-hg-a1821796.html

https://geizhals.de/silverstone-essential-gold-et750-g-750w-atx-2-4-schwarz-sst-et750-g-a1821809.html

https://geizhals.eu/silverstone-strider-gold-evolution-series-750w-atx-2-3-sst-st75f-g-evolution-a737463.html

https://geizhals.eu/silverstone-strider-gold-series-750w-atx-2-3-sst-st75f-g-a598175.html

https://geizhals.de/silverstone-essential-gold-et750-hg-750w-atx-2-4-schwarz-sst-et750-hg-a1821796.html

It would be helpful to say what really happens and what PSU you really have.

a "xxxW From Manufacturer YYY" is as helpful as telling people you have an orange car. With ~120BHP...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 hours ago, Vintovka9130 said:

Why would you get a worse PSU without even knowing that the PSU is the issue?!

We had another person recently that had Issues with his system Booting and there it was probably either a Dead CPU or Board.

WHy do you think that your CPU is still OK, even though it is known to be really hot, even though its ~6 Years old and ran outside its original Specification.

Why do you think that your Board is still OK, even though you ran the CPU outside the Spec, even though its 6+ Years old??

Why do you think PSU?!

Did you even remove 2 Sticks of Memory and tried it with only one per Channel??

Especially since higher frequency are known to be problematic with 2 Sticks per Channel.

15 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Not bad, Corsair CX/CXM quality

CX600 was my first psu and it died afte 2 weeks...i'll never buy a Corsair PSU again 

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

well i removed one of the 4 sticks, then when it crashed again i put the memory stick in and removed the next one. Nothing helped. As stated, sometimes the PC would run a demanding game for a few minutes and sometimes not even a minute till crash and automatic reboot. I just cant seen to find the problem

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I doubt it's the PSU.

but what is it then?

1 minute ago, Vintovka9130 said:

well i removed one of the 4 sticks, then when it crashed again i put the memory stick in and removed the next one. Nothing helped.

You remove ALL the Sticks and only put one in...

ANd go from there. You did it backwards.

As stated, sometimes the PC would run a demanding game for a few minutes and sometimes not even a minute till crash and automatic reboot. I just cant seen to find the problem

That to me sounds like CPU or Board might be kaktus, not necessarily the PSU.

But why didn't you mention WHAT 750W Silverstone Gold you have??

2 minutes ago, Vintovka9130 said:

but what is it then?

CPU, Board, GPU.

You have Windows??? Try that instead.

6 minutes ago, Vintovka9130 said:

CX600 was my first psu and it died afte 2 weeks...i'll never buy a Corsair PSU again 

The CX600 is much older than the current CX/CXMs and completely different. Nobody liked the old CXs anyway and they were rated for basically nothing (30 fucking celsius!!!). They're literally older than the S12II and M12II, and EVO, and those are literally dinosaurs (2013).

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You remove ALL the Sticks and only put one in...

ANd go from there. You did it backwards.

That to me sounds like CPU or Board might be kaktus, not necessarily the PSU.

But why didn't you mention WHAT 750W Silverstone Gold you have??

I cant run any game with only 4GB of RAM, so this wouldnt really work. I have a spare Intel 6600k and mobo from my brother who upgraded his PC, but I dont have any DDR4 available and i dont want to remove the ddr4 DIMMs from his PC. Is there any easy way to uninstall just hte Motherboard windows drivers without clean installing windows?

PS: PSU is Silverstone ST75F-GS

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

The CX600 is much older than the current CX/CXMs and completely different. Nobody liked the old CXs anyway and they were rated for basically nothing (30 fucking celsius!!!). They're literally older than the S12II and M12II, and EVO, and those are literally dinosaurs (2013).

I run a Corsair CXM in my system, and it's been fine for about a year. They're decent PSUs, on par with SeaSonic G/SSRM

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

The CX600 is much older than the current CX/CXMs and completely different. Nobody liked the old CXs anyway.

Yeah when I had trouble with the cx600 (fan died) I did some googling back in the day and apparently even some of the (back then) higher end PSUs from Corsair like the HX stuff was full of shit

Just now, Vintovka9130 said:

Yeah when I had trouble with the cx600 (fan died) I did some googling back in the day and apparently even some of the (back then) higher end PSUs from Corsair like the HX stuff was full of shit

Yeah. I run a Corsair CX550M in my system. The new CXs have gray instead of green text and are pretty good. The old HXs aren't that good, on par with a Corsair TX or RMx maybe

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I run a Corsair CXM in my system, and it's been fine for about a year. They're decent PSUs, on par with SeaSonic G/SSRM

I just want one that will be working in the next years if I finally decide tp replace it, 650W might be a bit tight for a oc'd cpu and gtx 1080 ti even on stock i think, so it'll be 750Watts

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

Yeah. I run a Corsair CX550M in my system. The new CXs have gray instead of green text and are pretty good. The old HXs aren't that good, on par with a Corsair TX or RMx maybe

back in the day thats what people used in SLI and high end stations and were considered the best for the performance consumer

I just want one that will be working in the next years if I finally decide tp replace it, 650W might be a bit tight for a oc'd cpu and gtx 1080 ti even on stock i think, so it'll be 750Watts

I'd go for a Corsair TXM, RMx, RMi, HX(i), AX(i), or SeaSonic G/SSRM, Focus(+), Prime(Ultra) or a EVGA G2, P2 or T2

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'd go for a Corsair TXM, RMx, RMi, HX(i), AX(i), or SeaSonic G/SSRM, Focus(+), Prime(Ultra) or a EVGA G2, P2 or T2

what PSUs have you been using in your builds successfully?