Do you remember Unreal Tournament? (UT99)

ThorBuildingLegos

...Pepperidge farm remembers! I had a lot of fun with that game. It had a lot of high octane action and a fun weapon assortment. Weapon of choice? Flak cannon... spraying fools from around the corner! Favorite map? CTF-Face... WITH GRAPPLING HOOK! Oh GOTY, you made the game so much more awesome. Just slingshot your self over to the other side with a redeemer ready to fire and it's "!!!ULTRA KILL!!!" time!

I'm looking for something similar now. Team Fortress don't do it for me since it's class based, and CS... well; it's not exactly the kind of the over-the-top action that UT99 provides. I want something fast-paced and competitive. Prefereably with a grappling hook :P

Any suggestions?

Though I guess there'll never be another UT99. The game was genius. It echos through modern games in the form of a deep-voiced actor tallying your kill-combo. The game was massive considering all that was available in regards to mods and community expansion packs. You'd connect to a server and if you didn't have the mods or the map it would download all the resources necessary and they would be disposable for future gaming. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to huge as mods, like the realism mods that used to come out in a flurry round that time. But you'd connect to a server and wonder why you're surfing on top of a flying shark over a tropical paradise. And the modding! So much to find, so many various strange game ideas. This was before Steam when we relied largely on GameSpy (may it rest in peace). So many great modding sites *poof* gone...

Aw well, it's still playable! My ping is to high though and it seems that there are only a few strange mods, mostly about running some surrealistic obstacle course - I dunno. But since not that many still play it there aren't that many servers in my general vicinity that gives good responses. But, still, if anyone here'd be willing to play... :P

Thoroughness rating
#########

I remember unreal tournament 3, easily the best one. Warfare gamemode was incredible! 

I don't understand why they haven't released another one. The vehicle play was amazing too, so were the graphics. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

I remember unreal tournament 3, easily the best one. Warfare gamemode was incredible! 

I don't understand why they haven't released another one. The vehicle play was amazing too, so were the graphics.

ut2k4 masterrace!

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

I have to disagree. I've been here since the start and that may be why but I really don't like what Unreal has become. The original Unreal Tournament is by all means the best one in my opinion, a barebones arena shooter and nothing else! Absolutely love it, we still play it at just about every LAN I go to, but then again I am getting old...

I remember this:

I remember the cries of "It's counter strike!" and "NO! It's unreal tournament" and the smug look when the kid screams "UNREAL TOURNAMENT GESPIELEN!"

Head, bowed in shame.

That being said I think that UT99 is considered better by some in not only the theme of the game, but also the execution. The latter games introduces onslaught and vehicles, which was something I was waiting for. But I felt however that player characters with armor as big as samurai (or "football" players I guess was the intent) would be an easy target. The bouncing around was fun to, but I felt the whole game was more of a tech demo than anything else. Sure, we could see lush fields of green - but we could see... lush fields of green. I mean, come on? Remember the lava map? Dark, brown and RED. Yes I know most games do this today, but the style that they used (the old gothic style) was awesome. And all the sci-fi maps. ALL OF THEM! Geez louise there were some dusies. Deck 16, Cathedral, the submarine map... aw yeah. Dirty, grimy and gritty for sure. Perhaps it is time for a return of UT - in it's old style, as it would be fitting with the videogame landscape of today.

No more overgrown football players, but rugged, hardcore psychopaths and criminals who compete in a fight or die championship, admonishing those they kill while being looked upon by a blood hungry audience and an anouncer who admonishes the killed some more with a roaring voice declaring the amount killed in a short word or two. All high-def, so you can see the scars, the worn armor, the industrial looking weaponry, the many sci-fi avenues in crisp detail, the blood spattered all over it when the chaos is unleashed and the competitors are let lose. Yehehes.. this is the UT I remember. I can't say that I feel the same way for 2k3 or 2k4...

And the football analogy fits perfectly, what with that new capture the ball mode, or whatever it's called: what is that? Seriously, what in the hell you guys? They must've had some bright idea about making the game MORE competitive by introducing another game mode, that in my opinion really doesn't work that well. I found it more of a chore than fun really.

Onslaught was awesome though -- Include that in the UT99 style and then we're talking...with vehicles, environmental attacks and environmental collapse... yes. Give us all this, Epic... and you can have our money.

Thoroughness rating
#########

When the kiddos mention "skill" in MP FPS. You mention UT and everyone shuts up.

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

I have to disagree. I've been here since the start and that may be why but I really don't like what Unreal has become. The original Unreal Tournament is by all means the best one in my opinion, a barebones arena shooter and nothing else! Absolutely love it, we still play it at just about every LAN I go to, but then again I am getting old...

I'm 18 and I grew up playing UT as my dad loved it and I watched him and played with him occasionally.

The original (Unreal Tournament) is one of my all time fave games, though I do also like UT2K4, but pretty much only played that for insta-gib CTF on CTF-Face_Classic.

UT does have some huge form of nostalgia for me, I picked up all of them about a year ago on Steam and have played them all a bit.

Still have the original discs around too, remember those times...

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

When the kiddos mention "skill" in MP FPS. You mention UT and everyone shuts up.

"TF2 is the most hardcore arena FPS that has eve-" _*instagibbed*_

TBH I was never Instagib fan. I always disconnected when I knew that everyone had the same weapon that kills with one shot.

Thoroughness rating
#########

Though GOG is selling 2k4 for 9.99$ -- anybody wanna join me? :P

I suck at arena shooters, but I love them. I'd be willing to join you after my exams are finished on Monday, if anyone else wanted to play.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

Just a heads up, during the sales the Unreal Deal pack drops to like £5.75 (if my google-fu is upto scratch).

Thats like $10 I think, and thats for Unreal Tournament GOTY, Unreal Gold, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal Tournament 3 Black. 

That is what I picked up anyways.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I forgot about this game. It's been sitting on my old computer for a few years now. Maybe I should dig the ol' girl out and fire her up again.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just Cause 2 is over the top action with grapling hook but it is GTA style so you might not like it.

Just Cause 2 is over the top action with grapling hook but it is GTA style so you might not like it.

"Just Cause" doesn't cut it, I'm afraid. It's more of a single-player sandbox game than an online competative game.

Thoroughness rating
#########

I'm more of a Quake man, but UT is still amazing.

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)