Stringify Home Automation Service Shuts Down

The company Stringify has come out and said that their Stringify service will be shutting down. They are removing the app from App Stores today and the service will operate up until June. They said that their

"focus increasingly shifts to developing new connected-home experiences at Comcast, we made a strategic decision to step back from developing the app."

While I personally did not use Stringify that much, I had a very limited use for their app that integrated with IFTTT, so I am not very affected by this. However it is sad to see a rather large player in the home automation space shut down. You can find the attached email that they sent out to their users down below.

Stringify.thumb.PNG.b045f1bb1aae428b40007d15725af468.PNG

Also, I have no idea why it is addressed to "Shut Down" in the email, not what I put for my Username for the service, but maybe it was to indicate that they are shutting down? Who knows.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Anyone else weirded out by IOT home automation stuff?  

I don't even consider it. Haven't reached that level of lazyness 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Not weirded out, just do not see any useful scenario for them. Not to mention the enormous security risks.....

Just now, jagdtigger said:

enormous security risks

YEAH THAT!  That's the weird out part. 

Who would knowingly give up that much access to their lives to a corporation that can and will exploit it for their own gain?  And just so you can tell what's in your fridge without opening it (i'm sure there are other benefits but I don't see them being worth it.)?

Home automation, I can do. Online service to handle home automation, no.

While IFTTT is great, I would prefer local control. Nothing wrong with running a Pi image with a localized, NodeRED-based IoT network.

I for "Intranet", for "Intranet of Things".

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Probably got beaten by much cheaper Chinese home products.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I set my lights to turn on if they detect my phone through bluetooth. That's all I've got.