Games for 12 YO

ForLocks

Hey its my brothers Birthday next week and I want to get him some games but he is 12 and my mom said no M or R rated games any ideas?

no M games kek, I played cs: source when I was in middle school.

Terraria is a fun game, Halo? mabye

Endless Space 2, Civ 5/6 (whichever one is the latest)

Kerbal Space Program if he's really big braind,

What games does he play rn?

Minecraft

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

celeste (fineprint: story deals with depression and anxiety but as 12 yo he won't care about it he'll probably just skip through the texts anyway so should be safe to play)

ori and the blind forest :

cave story+ 

Trine 1, 2 ...

Jamestown - scroller with plane and shooting continuously

Sine mora - similar but sideways instead of from the above

8bitboy

torchlight 1 and 2 - simple hack and slash diablo like etc but cartoony so kinda safe for 12y olds if they aren't bored quickly

Puzzle quest - connect 3 of a kind style of game with some simple story

If you can be patient to play with him, Heroes of Might and Magic series could be great.

Find some racing games like Need for Speed if he's into that

Maybe Spelunky if he's into Minecraft ... and there was another game, Terraria

Maybe Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 if the parents don't object to shooters

At least they have some story and he has to make choices and skills and shit it's not just braindead shooters.

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Try slime rancher, stardew valley, undertale, astroneer, a hat in time

I know this is rated M, however there is no harsh sexual content, gore or cursing in it- try Skyrim. It's massive and can give a HUGE amount of hours of gameplay 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Also if he likes such games, maybe see  Transport Tycoon - OpenTTD is free : https://www.openttd.org/

Or other tycoon type of games ... rollercoaster tycoon etc

Maybe if he likes real time strategy see something like age of empires... i used to play Dune 2000 and COmmand and Conquer Red Alert and Warcraft (not the MMO game) when I was at that age... but such games are difficult to run on modern hardware.

If he's the kind that may like point and click / puzzle / adventure games... Syberia - https://store.steampowered.com/app/46500/Syberia/ -  is a wonderful game, same for the 2nd in the series... 3 is kinda meh.  Not quite sure he's gonna joy the story at 12 years old though, or be patient enough to solve puzzles.

Also loved the original The Longest Journey : https://store.steampowered.com/app/6310/The_Longest_Journey/  but he may get stuck at some puzzles (a few are really weird and not so intuitive but searching walkthroughs/guides gives you answers)

To answer the question hes reasonably bright and likes all games really. RN he plays Rocket League, Fortnite, CSGO (our mom doesnt know its M) and Portal

1 hour ago, ForLocks said:

Hey its my brothers Birthday next week and I want to get him some games but he is 12 and my mom said no M or R rated games any ideas? hes reasonably bright and likes all games really. RN he plays Rocket League, Fortnite, CSGO (our mom doesnt know its M) and Portal.

Seems any competitive game would suffice. I would introduce him to the free game market. Paladins, Dota 2, League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Warframe, Brawlhalla, Smite, Path of Exile, etc, etc. All of those are completely free and there's hundreds more on the market. If he likes Portal a lot, then Minecraft should be a must buy for him. And it's only $1.00 - $2.00 online. And any Half-Life game would be something he'd most likely be into as well. Best to wait for the sale price on it though and any game you think he might want.

A steam gift card, fortnite v bucks I think they’re called

itunes card

edit 

maybe a perriferal 

RaceDriver Grid2 is a fun game(also cheap) that runs well on Lowend hardware but looks brilliant (maxed out) on midrange hardware and beyond.

Kid friendly.

Some old easier to run games are also quite fun and engaging.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Subnautica is good.  Underwater survival game with building mechanics.  No swearing (or dialog for the most part).  Mild violence involving large undersea critters trying to eat you.  Don't watch the review with your mother or brother in the room.

He doesn't have the best PC (Pentium G5400 and GTX 760)

railroad tycoon 2 … simcity 2013 …… simple 2d shooter/platformer ( because of his pc )  some fighting game kung fu strike the warriors rise or one finger deathpunch … you might have some fun yourself 2 ;) 

10 hours ago, ForLocks said:

He doesn't have the best PC (Pentium G5400 and GTX 760)

Everything I recommended can run on a potato and should be exactly what to shoot for first.

Little Fighter 2 (prefer 1.9 more for no ads)

its free , open source, local (4 players on one PC)or internet multiplayer

still good 2D graphics at 1999 standards and doesnt look bad & most potato pentium III runs well