[Build Log] -ColorFalls- A RGB Wall Hanging 3D Printed Case by 8-Bit Builder

thorkon

lfcl449.png?2

Hello and welcome to my newest build :)

I've been modding for 10 years now and usually my themes are of a pixelated design. This mod is named ColorFalls as the case will be built to hang from a wall and look like it's made out of hundreds of cubes that each have a LED and will have patterned lighting effects). I will be 3D printing this case and expect to use about 9 lbs of plastic to make. Here is my CAD design so you can visualize the project.

EzQ6Mu0.png  ]          

My sponsors for this mod

LVIc4TY.pngVrhtcO7.jpg

Components
ASUS Prime Z390-A
ASUS GTX 2060 STRIX 6GB
ASUS ROG RYUJIN 360 AIO CPU Cooler
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Modular RGB PSU

TEAMGROUP NIGHT HAWK Legend RGB 16gb DDR4 RAM
TEAMGROUP T-FORCE Delta RGB 250gb SSD
TEAMGROUP MS30 M.2 SATA SSD

CPU I5-9600k

Heres a few photos of my previous work:
UqXbQ94.jpgotwRN4e.jpgO5Ffx42.jpgZjDRr5T.jpgwlNniD4.png

I'll be back soon with some progress of the printing and whahtnot! Its showing it will take 2 weeks of printing time to get the main body done. I'll be back sooner than that though to show the 3D process :)

I started the printing and got a good bit done!

This section alone takes about 2 days. Multiply this by 8 sections and you can see it takes awhile to do this project:
c0logbC.jpg

These squiggly lines are called supports in the 3d Printing world. It helps when you are printing hollow things, in this example, my cubes are hollow so it helping the top of the cubes having smooth finishes. It is unfortunately a waste of plastic as they get torn out when the print is done.
XHGVEdK.jpg

JSYXkIp.jpg

This is a color test with the different cube heights. Looking good!

jEgZmCU.jpg

Overview of my work desk at the moment...

KqT1vRg.jpg

Got most of the frame done! I had to wait a little bit for plastic to come in, but I"m using 3D solutech PLA and its going pretty good.

Heres the frame pieces laying next to each other
SEV78xP.jpg

And the pc parts in there respective places...sorta ha
5von0is.jpg

Combining the sections together with glue and 3D pen welding
Wtg23Mr.jpg

SJqYQjf.jpg

Aa9vS3d.jpg

eUwnfUc.jpg

zNXggJD.jpg

gJC1bik.jpg

Small casualty when I was ripping out the support plastic sections. It will be easy to fix though since it will be covered up by the radiator of the cpu cooler.
21K3AVR.jpg

Boxes in position :D
WmoTlEB.jpg

The rear bracket that will support the components. The cubes on the front are mainly for lighting, not structure support.
UcBA4gK.jpg

zuBNXl9.jpg

wQyBVKX.jpg

I messed up on the design and decided I needed these cubes out. I used my old junk soldering iron to melt out the cubes and used wire cutters and sanding to smooth it out
KaHSaQX.jpg

INq4Fez.jpg

Asus Thor 1200w PSU 
jqxmBDa.jpg

T-Force Delta RGB SSD
6NjZZzg.jpg

ASUS Prime Z390-A
ASUS GTX 2060 STRIX 6GB
OQXHrwl.jpg

Still need to do small details to fit the pieces in correctly and mount them good. Then there is also the LED wiring and whatnot. Be back soon!

Awesome!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Starting the LED work! TLDR: It did not go well...

Gluing down the led strips
f364GVU.jpg

h1PDNIf.jpg

MNPzCFs.jpg

gweQdeV.jpg

All the soldering equipment
I0GrMYJ.jpg

SjDKadE.jpg

qn0TRWZ.jpg

ANNNNND heres all the lights in the trash. I mixed up the pins on my molex connector since the female side needs to be backward to get 5v. I sent 12v into the leds which fried them and my arduino. Press F to pay respects to 600 LEDs :(
jcTaBrk.jpg

Just a reference on how big this project is
g16hQYE.jpg

Wow, insane.

Maingear F131 "Ghost Edition" | MSI Z390 | i9 9900k | Gaming Edge | Apex Full Liquid Cooling | 64 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200 MHZ | SLI 2080 RTX Ti |1200 W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | 2 TB NVME WD BLACK | 2 TB NVME m.2 660 p | 4 TB HD | ASUS ROG PG27UQ

Back with a redo on the LEDs
FsQ3g3N.jpg

I did the wiring slightly different so I didn't crowd the contacts on the leds
PYPy4er.jpg

Putting the back frame on
DWMcRAf.jpg

966uwkt.jpg

MoBo Mount
YSZCOB4.jpg

ASUS Prime Z390-A
c8vMlZ5.jpg

TEAMGROUP NIGHT HAWK Legend RGB 16gb DDR4 RAM 
miiCsh2.jpg

ASUS ROG RYUJIN 360 AIO CPU Cooler
Pw5BBTN.jpg

ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Modular RGB PSU with my 3D printed bracket
JSMqXq6.jpg

All the parts on the frame.
4R7PjuW.jpg

Next I'll be going in on the lighting and showing some of that!

OMG...this is so close to being done. This is gonna be one of the best looking pc's i've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Gettting some lighting action :D
heres a gif (if it doesn't work, There will be a link)
06VpG6I.mp4
https://imgur.com/06VpG6I

Static image of the lights
FOnwIar.jpg

Rearview of the new wiring setup

ydUVgx8.jpg

KKqZYDV.jpg

Getting ready to put the ASUS RYUJIN AIO in
ZvqMxA4.jpg

1Gqr8Bt.jpg

Extremely close to being done. Just got to fill a few gaps near the components and get it mounted to the wall. I'll be back soon!

• 3 weeks later...