New Phone, but on a low budget

Hi Everybody who knows phones.

I finally talked my parents to buy me a new phone. The current phone is a Nokia 1800, which I am not tired of, but since I am a guy on the move and is not always at the Internet when needed (You all know what I mean) I need a way to connect to the Internet either through my iPad or my laptop.

So the only requirement I have is that it can be used as mobile broadband and also maybe to play music. That would make most Smartphones but because of my parents(and me) doesn´t have the money for a HTC One mini, iPhone 5c, Nokia Lumia 625 or similar I can´t get one of those.

Actually the budget is so low that the choice is down in Nokia 206 vs. 301 if my parents is paying the full price (500 Danish Kroner, approx. 50 USD) or Nokia Lumia 520 vs. Samsung Galaxy Young if I pay half and my parents is paying for the rest(approx. 1000 Danish Kroner or 100 USD)

But because of I really want a gaming rig, which I am fully self paying for and is not even half way of saving up to the budget, I want it to be either the 206 or 301 so I don´t have to save more up, but the think is, that I don´t know if they can be used as mobile broadband. So that is question number 1. Can the 206 and/or 301 be used as mobile broadband?

If the answer is no, then next question is that because the Galaxy Young is only 800 DKK is it the 20% off compared to the 520 worth it? I mean an Android phone running on that low specs must be horrible, but what do I know about cheap smartphone, oh yeah nothing!

Other thing is for 200 DKK extra, I can get the LG Optimus L5 II E460. I have heard that some Optimus phones are quite good for the price but Is this Optimus better than the Lumia for that extra cost?

TL;DR

Question no.1: Can the Nokia 206 and/or Nokia 301 be used as mobile broadband?

Question no. 2: Is The Nokia Lumia 520 better(faster and is better as mobile broadband) than the Samsung Galaxy Young for 200 DKK extra cost?

Question no. 3: Is the LG Optimus L5 II E460 better(faster and is better as mobile broadband) than the Nokia Lumia 520 for 200 DKK Extra cost?

I hoped that I written this understandable, since English is not my main language and if I go to a danish computer/tech forum I will be bashed for not having more money to spend on a phone, and Linus and Slick say that the LTT forum is one of the nicest place on the Internet so I hope that I will get some good answers.

Regards from Denamrk.

Magnumenforce

Current Specs: CPU: Intel I5 4690K, Motherboard: ASUS Z97-AR, RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz, GPU: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: 3x Seagate Constellation ES 500GB in RAID 5, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Case: Antec LanBoy Air Blue/Black. Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate(2012), Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 1.

If you can, save some more and get a Moto G. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Moto G.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Moto G or nothing honestly. Maybe Xperia L if you can get it for the cheap but it isn't nearly as good as the Moto G but still a good phone.

Interested in Business and Technology

Moto G, I have one and for its cost i couldnt ask any more of it. pretty amazxing phone. camera isnt great but its doable.

Intel i5 4670k @4.5 | 16GB Patiot Viper Xtreme | Corsair H100i | MSI Z87 GD65 | Crossfire x2 Asus 7950 Direct CUII

250GB OCZ SSD | LG Bluray RW Drive | 750Watt PSU | Corsair 450D | Corsair K50 | Corsair M40

or get a moto g or get a lumia 520 i luve it :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

1. Nokia 301 has internet connection through 3G

2. 520 is absolutely faster. http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5280&idPhone2=5322

3. 520 have slightly faster hardware http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5293&idPhone2=5322  and definitely smoother usage experience (Windows Phone)

I would highly recommend 520. I own 620 and I know how smooth and easy it is to use windows phone.

If you can, save some more and get a Moto G. 

Moto G.

Moto G or nothing honestly. Maybe Xperia L if you can get it for the cheap but it isn't nearly as good as the Moto G but still a good phone.

Moto G, I have one and for its cost i couldnt ask any more of it. pretty amazxing phone. camera isnt great but its doable.

The Moto G is out of question becuase it have not reach Denmark yet.

or get a moto g or get a lumia 520 i luve it :D

1. Nokia 301 has internet connection through 3G

2. 520 is absolutely faster. http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5280&idPhone2=5322

3. 520 have slightly faster hardware http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5293&idPhone2=5322  and definitely smoother usage experience (Windows Phone)

I would highly recommend 520. I own 620 and I know how smooth and easy it is to use windows phone.

Is it still worth it for me to get the 301 or should I just stop being Scottish and pay for the 520?

Current Specs: CPU: Intel I5 4690K, Motherboard: ASUS Z97-AR, RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz, GPU: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: 3x Seagate Constellation ES 500GB in RAID 5, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Case: Antec LanBoy Air Blue/Black. Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate(2012), Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 1.

go for  a chinese phone, check the specs and the wandwith the phone uses so that it can be used with your carrier, also check what kind of display it has

after some research you will be amazed with what you can find for 100 $

some websites you can check:

www.pandawill.com-----> a friend of mine bought a phone there

www.orientdeal.com

Magnumenforce, on 22 Jan 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:Magnumenforce, on 22 Jan 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

The Moto G is out of question becuase it have not reach Denmark yet.

Is it still worth it for me to get the 301 or should I just stop being Scottish and pay for the 520?

Do you have the Nokia Asha phones line up in your country? They are really good budget friendly and internet capable phones. If you don't have them, just get the 520. It's not worth the hassle using internet on that small 301 screen.

I'll play a devils advocate and suggest an off-brand china phone..

I bought  a ThL W8s when my s3 broke and i didnt have enough money to buy a new s3.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60645-thl-w8s/

This is my review of it and i still like it and use it as a back up when my note 3 is empty or i just need another phone..

I would be perfectly happy with it if i didnt need something bigger

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

moto g is the best bang for the buck phone out today

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Do you have the Nokia Asha phones line up in your country? They are really good budget friendly and internet capable phones. If you don't have them, just get the 520. It's not worth the hassle using internet on that small 301 screen.

We have the Asha line, but Not from the place where we are going to buy the phone, and we are not going to change Phone provider, because in Denmark, there is only 2 Phone companies with own network and in Denmark you can either get High Speed and low coverage or High coverage and low speed(nothing in between), so I have to take the cheapest place With high coverage.

I'll play a devils advocate and suggest an off-brand china phone..

I bought  a ThL W8s when my s3 broke and i didnt have enough money to buy a new s3.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60645-thl-w8s/

This is my review of it and i still like it and use it as a back up when my note 3 is empty or i just need another phone..

I would be perfectly happy with it if i didnt need something bigger

go for  a chinese phone, check the specs and the wandwith the phone uses so that it can be used with your carrier, also check what kind of display it has

after some research you will be amazed with what you can find for 100 $

some websites you can check:

www.pandawill.com-----> a friend of mine bought a phone there

www.orientdeal.com

I am not going to buy an off branded Chinese phone because I had off branded Chinese MP3 and had bad experience with (one broke down after one recharge, another one´s battery was not properly installed and the third one had corrupted files after 6 months), so I don´t have enough trust in them anymore.

to actually answer your questions:

1i think they can

2 it depends if you like windows phone

3 i think so, but you may differ in opion

btw, there are really really cheap phones made by mozilla with firefox os i believe, they are like 70 euro's

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I am not going to buy an off branded Chinese phone because I had off branded Chinese MP3 and had bad experience with (one broke down after one recharge, another one´s battery was not properly installed and the third one had corrupted files after 6 months), so I don´t have enough trust in them anymore.

Yep that's the thing, you have to look at reviews and look for trusted brand .

Mp3 and such stuff are rubbish and worthless shit

And buy something thats above $250 most of the stuff below that is just rubish.

Look at websites like pandawill, dx.com,banggood.... its really worth it

EDIT: this one is pretty good, my friend has it http://www.banggood.com/Cubot-One-4_7-Inch-8G-ROM-Android-4_2-MTK6589-Quad-Core-Smart-Phone-p-78584.html

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Magnumenforce, on 22 Jan 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

We have the Asha line, but Not from the place where we are going to buy the phone, and we are not going to change Phone provider, because in Denmark, there is only 2 Phone companies with own network and in Denmark you can either get High Speed and low coverage or High coverage and low speed(nothing in between), so I have to take the cheapest place With high coverage.

If that's the case, I'll stand by my previous recommendation of the 520.

just get the lumia 520 its a very good phone for the price

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Do anyone else have something relevant to say, or should I just buy the Lumia 520?

As I have understand it, the 206 can´t connect to the Internet and the 301 can, but is not worth it, and the Galaxy Young is so bad(in specs and to the price) that I should go for the Lumia and the Optimus is in fact worse than the Lumia.

My parents is not too happy about that if I get the Moto G that I have to import it from either Germany or the UK, so that is out of the question.

Do I have it right, or what?

Get a lumia, Its an amazing phone, and this year will be a great year for wp8 , wp8.1 comes out in april and the black update comes out for it soon too.

The windows phone just win imo in low end. I have had a low end android device once and it wasnt fun at all, it becomes really slow.

Lumia 520 or 525 if you can get it.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Just a final question left.

For 600DKK more, I can get the 620 in Yellow or Green which is the colours I am least in to, and to get the black/grey one, I have to pay 70DKK more, but in between those prices, I can get The lumia 625 in gray, Samsung Galaxy S III Mini NFC or the LG Optimus L 7 II P710.

so the question is:

Should I get the Lumia 620, Lumia 625, Samsung Galaxy S III Mini NFC or the LG Optimus L7 II P710 for the extra cost of 670 DKK or just stick to the 520?

If it is not worth the extra cost for what I need it for(see in #1), I will just order the 520 on Monday

Magnumenforce, on 25 Jan 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

Just a final question left.

For 600DKK more, I can get the 620 in Yellow or Green which is the colours I am least in to, and to get the black/grey one, I have to pay 70DKK more, but in between those prices, I can get The lumia 625 in gray, Samsung Galaxy S III Mini NFC or the LG Optimus L 7 II P710.

so the question is:

Should I get the Lumia 620, Lumia 625, Samsung Galaxy S III Mini NFC or the LG Optimus L7 II P710 for the extra cost of 670 DKK or just stick to the 520?

If it is not worth the extra cost for what I need it for(see in #1), I will just order the 520 on Monday

I have the 620. Just to let you know it is the smallest of the bunch that you've listed above. Battery life is just average because it is quite small. Based on your usage requirements you've mentioned earlier (mobile internet hotspot+music), I would suggest just get the 520. Not much differences compare to 620, unless if you have to have a 4G connectivity,then get the 625.

Please avoid the GS3 mini. I've tried them. They are so laggy and underpowered. It was my first choice smartphone before I finally decided to get the 620.

I thanks for all of the advices. A Nokia Lumia 520 in black should be arriving tomorrow.

And I like the fact that even thought I said that I can NOT buy the Moto G because it is not available in Denmark, you all still advice me to buy it.

Thanks agian for the advices.

I thanks for all of the advices. A Nokia Lumia 520 in black should be arriving tomorrow.

And I like the fact that even thought I said that I can NOT buy the Moto G because it is not available in Denmark, you all still advice me to buy it.

Thanks agian for the advices.

hope you'll enjoy your new phone.if any problem figuring out how to use windows phone,feel free to ask me.