WAtercooling : temps going crazy

Hi guys !

I just ran my 1st custom loop for the first time. I'm feeling a bit concerned.

Side note : CPU is an Intel i7-9700k, not overclocked

1st : my pump didn't start when plugged to the mobo. It thermal throttled and shut down automatically. That's "fine" : I plugged it using MOLEX, and it now runs just fine.

2d : I went to the bios first and gosh ! The CPU frequency is very high ! So are the temps which kept increasing to 82C in 5mn approx. I then shut it down by safety. Are those frequencies normal while just in bios ? I would have expected the CPU to be idle at low fréq and temps.

What troubleshooting process should I follow ? 

Thank you ! 

IMG_0441.jpg

UPDATE : Got it booting after reinstalling windows (I had a no bootable device error accessible that I couldn't fix).

Once booted I installed Core Temp immediately and here are the results

Any help will be welcome at this point...

IMG_0445.jpg

Pictures from loop overall, block from front & back.

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

IF you are running a custom loop with 9700k then i would say that the Frequency is not "crazy high", but rather medium, people usually overclock intels to 5000mhz.

Voltage seems fine, so the Temperature is so high because of the cooling.

So control everything, is the pump really working? Is the radiator hot? Are the tubes hot? ETC, to find out if your loop actually works.

Maybe you mounted the cpu block wrongly?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

14 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

IF you are running a custom loop with 9700k then i would say that the Frequency is not "crazy high", but rather medium, people usually overclock intels to 5000mhz.

Voltage seems fine, so the Temperature is so high because of the cooling.

So control everything, is the pump really working? Is the radiator hot? Are the tubes hot? ETC, to find out if your loop actually works.

Maybe you mounted the cpu block wrongly?

Thanks for your message ! 

The pump wasn't working when it throttled.

But it is definitely working now, I'm seeing micro bubbles remains flowing at high speed. Plus it would throttle again at this frequency i guess :) 

I have just no idea about why it gets so high in Hz while in bios.

I'd like to see how it does in windows now. However, windows won't show up now (blue screen with no accessible boot device). IDK what's going on haha.

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

Well if this isn’t a new build, ensure the boot device is set.

if you still have bubbles, that means you need to bleed it. Either way the temps are too high. Seems like a bad mount. Could potentially be a million other things messed up too. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well if this isn’t a new build, ensure the boot device is set.

if you still have bubbles, that means you need to bleed it. Either way the temps are too high. Seems like a bad mount. Could potentially be a million other things messed up too. 

I ended up reinstalling windows but then I got into Core Temp and that's where I saw that all temps are crazy right now...

Do you mean CPU block mount ?

1 minute ago, Insorior said:

I ended up reinstalling windows but then I got into Core Temp and that's where I saw that all temps are crazy right now...

Do you mean CPU block mount ?

As is the cpu block making contact with the cpu. 

Should also default the system settings so it won’t clock high in the mean time. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

As is the cpu block making contact with the cpu. 

Should also default the system settings so it won’t clock high in the mean time. 

CMOS was automatically cleared after throttling so I guess the problem doesn't come from settings.

Thanks, I think all I have to do now is flushing and checking the block...

1 minute ago, Insorior said:

CMOS was automatically cleared after throttling so I guess the problem doesn't come from settings.

Thanks, I think all I have to do now is flushing and checking the block...

Settings would effect clock speed. Need to lower them. Even more so with the issues. 

17 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Settings would effect clock speed. Need to lower them. Even more so with the issues. 

I think the problem is definitely cpu block related. 

I fastened it more without flushing and here are the new temps.

Is that expectable temps or still high ?

IMG_0449.jpg

Not that I think it would effect your heat, but it looks to me like your backplate for the CPU block is done incorrectly.  IDK how critical that is, I mean it may still be effective and it may just be that your mobo construction is different...  But it seems like the rubber and the plate are not correctly aligned with each other and with the back of the socket.

Anyway.  Is your water flowing in the correct direction? (probably a dumb question as you would notice if it were backwards when you filled)  

I am assuming this is your flow:  Pump > CPU > GPU > Rad > Pump

If this is correct, your in and out on your CPU block is correct.  If not, if it's reversed and you didn't open the block to reverse the flow channel before mounting, then that may be a problem.

Just saw your new post.  Tightening seems to have helped, so it seems you didn't have full contact on the block, but the temps still look a touch warm on the high ends to me?  I may be wrong.

Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI Wifi   CPU: i9 9900k w/ EK Supremacy EVO cooling   RAM: 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL 14    GPU: EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 w/ EVGA Hydrocopper GPU Block cooling   Cooling: EK Coolstream XE 360 X2 | Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Silent Kit Reservoir/Pump Combo | Thermaltake Riing 120 Static Pressure X6 - push on one rad pull on the other | Bitspower Matte Black Fittings | Bitspower Clear 16mm OD PETG pipe   Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 | Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM 3.5"   PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200 W 80+ Platinum   Sound: Sound Blaster X Katana   Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG   Display: Dual: ACER Predator Z1 | Samsung 32" secondary

That is high, yes.

What about what I asked above about flow direction?  That's important for your CPU block to work correctly.  And I notice in another thread you weren't going to CPU first, so the question stands.

You definitely seem to have a contact issue Is it possible there's some kind of offset or block between your CPU and your water block getting in the way?  Honestly, if the water flow is correct, I would drain, pull the tubes and take of the block, looking carefully for any signs that it's loose, or not completely seated on the CPU.  While it's off, check your mounting screws, make sure they're nice and tight and not loosening on you. 

I have seen people who build regularly forget to take the plastic off the contact plate before mounting.  Double check.  Clean off all your thermal paste and re-paste..

Remount, if there are no issues with offset or things in the way of contact that you have to deal with first, and get it nice and tight and try again....

Hoping you find the issue.

Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI Wifi   CPU: i9 9900k w/ EK Supremacy EVO cooling   RAM: 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL 14    GPU: EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 w/ EVGA Hydrocopper GPU Block cooling   Cooling: EK Coolstream XE 360 X2 | Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Silent Kit Reservoir/Pump Combo | Thermaltake Riing 120 Static Pressure X6 - push on one rad pull on the other | Bitspower Matte Black Fittings | Bitspower Clear 16mm OD PETG pipe   Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 | Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM 3.5"   PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200 W 80+ Platinum   Sound: Sound Blaster X Katana   Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG   Display: Dual: ACER Predator Z1 | Samsung 32" secondary

Thanks very much for this advice ! :)

Thats what I'm going to do now. This is far from being normal IMO. There must be some issues with the cpu block.

Yea, like is said. The contact bewteen the cpu and block. 

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Yea, like is said. The contact bewteen the cpu and block. 

You were definitely right :D thanks

23 minutes ago, Insorior said:

Ok Guys. I'm going to delete my account.

FML :D

IMG_0451.jpg

I did say I know pro builders who have done this very thing, right?  LOL

It happens.  

12 minutes ago, Salticid said:

It happens.  

Hahaha...... in a rush were we? No worries I broke a 1500 dollar CPU from rushing a delid....we all make mistakes.

10 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Hahaha...... in a rush were we? No worries I broke a 1500 dollar CPU from rushing a delid....we all make mistakes.

In no way shape or form could I ever be considered a pro builder.  ?

I do have a few friends who do custom builds for extra money tho and I consider them pros.

It's super funny the things one can forget just because you're so familiar with a workflow you're acting on autopilot.
Well, sometimes only funny after some time and reflection but you get my point.  LOL

We absolutely do all make mistakes!  Hopefully they don't end up being too expensive more often than not.  I'm sorry to hear about your CPU....  that's a lot of money.

6 hours ago, Salticid said:

In no way shape or form could I ever be considered a pro builder.  ?

I do have a few friends who do custom builds for extra money tho and I consider them pros.

It's super funny the things one can forget just because you're so familiar with a workflow you're acting on autopilot.
Well, sometimes only funny after some time and reflection but you get my point.  LOL

We absolutely do all make mistakes!  Hopefully they don't end up being too expensive more often than not.  I'm sorry to hear about your CPU....  that's a lot of money.

Second one I did not break though and successfully delided

I just posted a build log video :D

i wished my spoken English was a bit better ! 

I discuss all the events that occurred during building in order to help other people avoiding the traps.

the end result can be seen from 16mn, I hope you’ll like it !

thanks again for all the help !

On 4/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, Salticid said:

It happens.  

I have done that with a cpu air cooler before lol