unpopular opinion: borderlands 3 trailer is underwhelming

zassou

reading material:

polygon: Borderlands 3’s trailer is a disappointment https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/28/18285523/borderlands-3-trailer-reaction

gamespot: Borderlands 3's Trailer Didn't Impress Us As Much As We Hoped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfG2KH3SdYs&t=155s

i think the borderlands 3 trailer is underwhelming, more like a mid game patch of mmo games. eg more guns, guns that walk, new stories etc.

for the record im not a borderlands fan. i dont like the art style, dont like the playstyle too. and especially dont like 2K games.

however, i have no problem with the random loot system. in fact im a hardcore diablo 3 player (who doesnt play hardcore mode). and i do enjoyed other looter-shooter games too, from warframe to fallout 4 to destiny 2, altho gave up on them for various reasons.

to be honest, the art style is a major turn off for me, i even turn off the cel shading just for better performance when im playing 1. i get recommends on telltale games a lot too, but i just cant stand that art style.

ppl often say cartoonish art age better than realistic one, and i agree, wow is 15 years old and it somehow looks way better than most mmos, especially its biggest competitor elder scroll online.

but somehow borderlands games just feels old, everything built on a formula that "just works" and stayed on that. 1 is somewhat new, combining fps and rpg with diablo-styled random loot system is new, and it works. plus decent writing and handsome jack makes it a good game.

but it stayed there. same engine, same rpg system, the 3 games all felt the same game. or expansion to the first game. no game changing-changes.

and back to the trailer. the gamespot video i posted above is heavely disliked. they are being honest, but i think the massive dislike is probably caused by the fandom.

i kind a understand the mentality of dont want my favourite game fomula to change, i play wow, and i will surely go to a protest if blizzard change it to a battle royale.

but is there any new things in the trailer? more guns? thats just a simple maths problem. guns that walk? i faild to see how it differs from a regular old npc with a gun. and the same horrible dirty art style too.

i dont think hardcore borderlands fans need this kind of trailer for hypes, a simple blog post is suffice. for people who never played the series, or only played for a couple of hours like me, failed to see its a new game.

simply put, how do you pitch 2 and pre-sequel to ordinary, non-borderlands player? other than the story?

that's the my view of borderlands, thick on fandom, thin on the gameplay.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

So you're saying that Borderlands 3 trailer makes it look bad because it just looks like more of Borderlands 1 and 2 without any drastic changes to gameplay?... I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Borderlands fans want from Borderlands 3.

If the franchise isn't for you, that's cool, don't play it. There's that many games out there these days that there's no reason to worry about whether Game A or Game B are not your style; you just go play something that is your style.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

well if you compare the trailers it was not as good as 2 imo. but i still enjoyed the previous two games though i did not play the pre-sequal as it did not intrest me.

i just hope they have another good villan

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

5 hours ago, Acid Panda said:

well if you compare the trailers it was not as good as 2 imo. but i still enjoyed the previous two games though i did not play the pre-sequal as it did not intrest me.

i just hope they have another good villan

they are good game yes, but a lazy one. but the fandom of the series just baffles me. by baffle i mean it, im a blizzard fan and if blizzard pull this lazy move, fans will be rioted. see what happened with diablo immortal.

i failed to see how much is improved from 1 to 2 and to pre-sequel, all about the same game play, guns that reloads as a grenade, some diablo 2 styled skill tree, same smug handsome jack as villan, and that claptrap nonsense.

i do understand some people dont want something they like to change, but this is not a trailer for new players, even for me who has played both games on steam free play.

look theres old faces still around, look we make some cool™ guns for you, look it walks isnt it cool™?

than explain to me how is it not an expansion of borderlands 2?

bethesda got slapped by selling story based dlc of fallout 4 and then why 2k is praised for recycling ideas from a dusty drawingboard?

i really want to like this game, everything about this game ticks my boxes, but as a whole, it just drives me away. even with visual tweaks that gets rid of cel shading. id rather playing shitty pvp games like fortnite or pubg than this ugly piece of software.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Just watched the trailer and I'm actually pretty happy to see it. BL2 has been in my head for 6 or 7 years now as "The Last Good Game", and a new game with exactly its systems and without the Pre-Sequel's rather depressing level design would make me a very happy camper for a couple hundred hours at least. There have been precious few games I've liked since 2012, so this is gonna be a treat. 

I can totally see not being interested if you didn't really like BL2, and I can get wanting games to change or next-levelify or whatever. . .but at the same time I really can't think of any sequels that actually do that. BL2 sort-of did, but BL1 always felt like a sales-pitch more than a fully-fledged game, I didn't even sit and make myself finish it until after BL2 came out (tho I did do Firestone like 20 times). The Pre-Sequel was more like a tradtional sequel, screw up the level design and introduce weird gimmicks that don't quite work for the sake of adding something. 

I have no idea if BL3 is good obviously, but the trailer made me smile. I'm looking forward to the release.