PC Shuts off with no warning

topblast

I am on my computer and suddenly the screen if black and no led lights are on in the case so all i could do is turn it back on to have it shut off in my face later, lasting to 3 sec ~ 10 mins. Can someone tell me why, this would do so and how to fix.

Can you give some more information, such as how old the PC is?

Is it a custom build, or built my a manufacturer, such as Dell, or Acer?

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Custom build

GTX 465

650w PSU (bought when i bought a GTS 250)

Gigabyte M68MT-S2P

AMD Phenom II x4 840

ohh and its Ghetto, takes linus streaming system and super ghettofy it.

Try taking the cables out and plug them back in.

If it still continues, I would say it might be the power supply.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

It still shutting off. I switch to a 950w same thing 950 is older than the 650

Get something like HWMonitor and see what the temps are on your CPU and GPU - maybe something is over heating, or the board chipset, and thermal protection is kicking in. Also, you sure the older PSU is good? When stuff starts randomly shutting off, first thing I think is a doggy PSU.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

i would say take off the cpu heatsink and reapply some compound. if that doesnt fix it i would check your ram to see if one if failing

It is heat or the psu

Cpu:I7-3770|motherboard:msi z77 MPower|Ram:G-Skill Sniper 1866|Graphics:Evga 650ti SSC|Boot drive:128gb Samsung 840|Data drive:2 tb Seagate 7200 Case:Fractal Design R4|Power supply: corsair cs 750m|OS:Windows 7 home Premium|keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013| mouse: Razer Death Adder chroma

Can you please go into Event Viewer (just search it in the start menu)' date=' then go to Windows Logs -> System From their, I want you to sort the results by the event by clicking on the highlighted area. [img']http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u364/paintedcards/EventViewer.jpg Now, after that, I want you to scroll to the top (use the scroll bar) and see if you can see something that says "Critical" with a red sign beside it. If you cant find them, go to the bottom of the scroll bar, and check their. Now, what we're looking for is a Critical Kernel Power error. If you find one of these errors, post it.

Can you do this?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

My first guess would be its overheating. Get some software to check the temps like core temps or hw monitor. Are you using the stock cooler? its quite a old system have you cleaned it out? If there's dust on the heat sync it blocks the air flow. reapply new thermal paste if you haven't in a year or so.

not overheating, I tried the 650w psu it wont turn off, the 950 powers onn but just completely shutsoff in my face after sometime

I guess it's just the PSU then

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Is your CPU cooler on correctly do you have the right about of thermal paste? Is you power supply dieing can it provide enough power? Are all your power connectors in correctly and tight? try updating drivers.

not overheating, I tried the 650w psu it wont turn off, the 950 powers onn but just completely shutsoff in my face after sometime

I am guessing that its your psu/motherboard then since it shuts down randomly. Tried checking all your power connections to see if it is loose especially the 24 pin. It could be the psu/motherboard not having good contact with each other on the 2 pins on the 24 pin power which tell when the computer is off and to turn off the psu.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I had this issue with my really old 750W PSU, when it was dying i'd have to push the wires back into the PSU, it eventually spluttered and died. Got a new PSU, all is good now. It'd be a good idea to run memtest with the new PSU to make sure there aren't any other little kinks that could affect performance.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

I'm currently having this problem and have isolated the issue to my relatively new AX860i, currently waiting for Corsair to respond to my support case. :)

would also check for loose connectors or something to cause a short and tripping the psu to turn off...who knows. but that is extremely weird...and annoying

I suggest testing RAM. I'm almost certain that it's the cause of problems - speaking from experience

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

How do you know it's not overheating? Do you have a program monitoring it?

coud be power fluctuations in the mains. try plunging in to a ups or a septet power phase if u have one. even a different wall outlet can do it sum-times

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

Try the following

• Replace TIM for CPU
  • Try 1 stick of RAM at a time and on different slots
  • Try removing the graphics card and use on board graphics

Also, what's exactly the model number of your PSU. I don't think there is such a thing as a "950W" PSU :P

Try with one stick of RAM, if you still have the same issue change the stick for another.

Do you have a PC Speaker connected to the motherboard?  If not can you get one from another computer case and plug it in, incase you are given beep codes?  That would help a lot