about to build this, things you would change?

I would change HDD from Seagate to Toshiba.

Seagate HDDs break more often then Toshiba or WD ones.

3 minutes ago, Bullet4Justice said:

Hello, hope you are having a good day. I'm actually about to buy this PC in a couple of days on payday. so thought to ask for some suggestion to make sure I'm not wasting my money :P. in short: what are the things you would change? thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bullet4Justice/saved/BX48YJ

Do you have a budget? I assume its for gaming, Give me a bit of time il see what I can cook up.

I would swap the memory for the 2x8GB kit of Vulkan at 3000Mhz, same price but you get a little boost out of it.

3 minutes ago, Amforev said:

I would change HDD from Seagate to Toshiba.

Seagate HDDs break more often then Toshiba or WD ones.

Based on what source?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I wouldn't change anything except maybe the motherboard. I would go with a z390 board, personally.. I would also consider getting an M.2 SATA SSD so you don't have to worry about so many cables. The WD Blue 500gb and MX500 M.2 drives are usually available at good prices. 

Also, keep the Seagate. I have that exact one and it's great. WD and Toshiba fail just as often if not more often.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Cut corners abit - But hey, You get a 2080, Double the storage, 2 more cores...Case is a bit cheap, But apart from that.

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I would swap the memory for the 2x8GB kit of Vulkan at 3000Mhz, same price but you get a little boost out of it.

Based on what source?

I was just looking at reviews on Amazon and Newegg, everybody is saying don't buy.

12 minutes ago, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Cut corners abit - But hey, You get a 2080, Double the storage, 2 more cores...Case is a bit cheap, But apart from that.

I appreciate this, but personally, I had trouble with AMD before so I kinda prefer to avoid AMD for the time being.

27 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

I wouldn't change anything except maybe the motherboard. I would go with a z390 board, personally.. I would also consider getting an M.2 SATA SSD so you don't have to worry about so many cables. The WD Blue 500gb and MX500 M.2 drives are usually available at good prices. 

Also, keep the Seagate. I have that exact one and it's great. WD and Toshiba fail just as often if not more often.. 

I just looked at the WD reviews and people are complaining about that drive as well. seems like all HDDs fail or people only write reviews when things fail not when it's working well.

51 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Based on what source?

Based on that source:

image.png.de6143d329ef2485a80bf710abde3df5.png

Just now, Amforev said:

Based on that source:

-snip-

The constantly demonstrated as flawed and inaccurate Backblaze data?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

flawed and inaccurate

Why flawed and inaccurate?

Why flawed and inaccurate?

Sample sizes are all over the place and not consistent for starters, Backblaze itself notes, their usage (dozens of HDD in a pod, originally poorly insulated both in temperature and vibration) is NOT what most of those drives were designed for. There are also a lot of factors that are ignored and left out in just that single picture. Perhaps a bad batch of drives came in which is going to be just lumped in with the data and outliers aren't accounted for or normalized either.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, ch3w2oy said:

Also, keep the Seagate. I have that exact one and it's great. WD and Toshiba fail just as often if not more often.

50 USD more for m.2 with very very minimal improvement in load times seems not worth at all to me.

Sample sizes are all over the place and not consistent for starters, Backblaze itself notes, their usage (dozens of HDD in a pod, originally poorly insulated both in temperature and vibration) is NOT what most of those drives were designed for. There are also a lot of factors that are ignored and left out in just that single picture. Perhaps a bad batch of drives came in which is going to be just lumped in with the data and outliers aren't accounted for or normalized either.

But there is huge difference between 178 failures in Seageate case and 0 failures in Toshiba case. In my opinion it is not a  bad batch of drives there is just too much of a difference.

Just now, Bullet4Justice said:

50 USD more for m.2 with very very minimal improvement in load times seems not worth at all to me.

I agree, in normal usage you wont see much of a difference between M.2 and SATA III.

1 minute ago, Amforev said:

But there is huge difference between 178 failures in Seageate case and 0 failures in Toshiba case. In my opinion it is not a  bad batch of drives there is just too much of a difference.

There were a TOTAL of 190 Toshiba drives. If they had anywhere near the 50k+ of Seagate drives I guarantee we would see more failures from Toshiba. There were literally almost as many failed Seagate drives as there were TOTAL Toshiba drives.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Bullet4Justice said:

I was talking about sata m2. Not nvme. If there's a price difference get the cheapest one. I thought pricing was similar. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

There were a TOTAL of 190 Toshiba drives. If they had anywhere near the 50k+ of Seagate drives I guarantee we would see more failures from Toshiba. There were literally almost as many failed Seagate drives as there were TOTAL Toshiba drives. 

From what source do you have these info?

Just now, Amforev said:

Literally right there in the picture you posted......

Toshiba is listed twice in the image, with 45 drives and 146 drives whereas Seagate drives total to 75,000

You might as well buy 1 apple from Store A and say "Welp it's good so all their apples must be good" and then go to Store B and buy 100 apples and say "Welp, 1 apple was bad so they are clearly a bad seller of apples"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

it's all good boys. who gives a shit.

Toshiba is listed twice in the image, with 45 drives and 146 drives whereas Seagate drives total to 75,000

You might as well buy 1 apple from Store A and say "Welp it's good so all their apples must be good" and then go to Store B and buy 100 apples and say "Welp, 1 apple was bad so they are clearly a bad seller of apples"

Just now, Bullet4Justice said:

it's all good boys. who gives a shit.

Sorry for derailing the topic.

On topic:

The build is solid overall, a couple tweaks maybe but, like with the RAM, it's got mixed reviews and going for better 3000MHz+ RAM is going to add a bit to the cost which for an Intel build I don't think is warranted in most cases.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yep sorry my bad. I just did not look at how many drives from different manufactures were tested when i copied this picture.

In this case I have to agree with you that this test was unfair for Seagate.

Just now, Amforev said:

Yep sorry my bad. I just did not look at how many drives from different manufactures were tested when i copied this picture.

In this case I have to agree with you that this test was unfair for Seagate.

All good :)

It's nice that at least stats are coming out to at least try and shed light, just need to take them with a grain of salt.

I know the numbers are getting better but I would love it if more places published drive failure rates so we could get proper sample rates :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

All good :)

It's nice that at least stats are coming out to at least try and shed light, just need to take them with a grain of salt.

I know the numbers are getting better but I would love it if more places published drive failure rates so we could get proper sample rates :D

Just looked at your Goliath, pretty sweet rig bro. awesome work.